What is a reasonable time to begin shooting on your land?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    by 9am the day is old. FIRE AWAY!!!! as far as how long you wanna fire, who cares what he thinks either. its your land and its during the day. sorry people who work nights. Its your land. tell him to turn up his CNN, grumpy tard

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I don't think I'll be able to find any threaded barrels for my Detonics Combat Masters.

If you can afford multiple Combat Masters, then you can afford to commission both custom barrels and the cans to ride on them.

I would say that hours of business are sufficient to appease good neighbors. Consumer law states that businesses cannot call you before 8:00AM (your time zone, not THEIRS) nor can they call you after 9:00PM.

If I knew my neighbors worked late, I would shoot in the opposite corner of the property at a later time than 9:00. If not, cram it with walnuts. Maybe they'll pick up some form 3s for you?

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Normal business hours usually start at 8am so I say game on after that. If he can mow his yard at 9am you can shoot at 9am. As for him complaining how long you shoot to hell with him! I'd hold an INGO dusk till dawn shoot if thats the case :D

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have 22 acres and me and my neighbors shoot all hours day and night....we all get along.....it's good to have armed neighbors:D

i say blast away when you want it's your ground not his.....:draw:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think the 10am recommendation is probably your best bet. Certainly it would also seem that at his normal lawn mowing start time, your shooting can commence.

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    I shoot on my property a lot! I make it a point to discuss this fact with new neighbors. Case in point:

To my North, the house was converted to a day care 2 years ago. The owners husband is a gun nut too, but I decided that it would be best to not do any firing during the week prior to the last kid leaving at 6pm. The neighbors to the south don't say a whole lot, but they obviously know I shoot. I usually do not start any shooting prior to 1000hrs and I never fire after about 2030hrs. This is simply out of respect. I believe good relations with the neighbors is a benefit.

Bottom line: It is your land, and you can do as you please. However, so can your neighbors. :)

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I've worked night shifts for 18 of the last 20 years. If sleeping in is his issue, tell him to do what I do, noisy box fan and TV running while sleeping. Drowns out most outside noises. (except for my Redbone barking at the UPS truck) Next time he's mowing at 9 am, go over and tell him it's too early to mow. Matter of fact, tell him he's mowing for "too long". Sounds like yardcare is his hobby and passion, he should have the same respect for your hobby. (or move back to the city)

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I must say that I am a bit taken aback by this "screw him" attitude! Very poor consideration in my opinion.

Think for a moment that if, instead of gunfire, it was a practice band playing head banger music at funky hours??? Or substitute whatever type of music you despise!

Noise is unwelcome anytime it disturbs your sleep or peace and quiet.

That said, since he mows at 9AM this shines a different light on the subject. But, even if he is a horses patoot that doesn't mean we should be.

I would start by approaching him and letting him know that you don't want to wake him up, so ASK him what would be a fair time on the weekend. This throws the ball back into his court and corners him on his answer. If he says 10AM you may want to gently ask that for that time is he willing to wait to begin mowing until after 10AM? He may not realize he is being a doofus.

Now, on the chance (probable sounding here) that he is just a jerk gently push him to name a time that is reasonable. If it is a time you can live with happily agree with it and don't start shooting before then. At the same time go home right away and write down the date and time of your polite conversation with him and the time you agreed to. That way IF he becomes a :poop:head and starts to file legal complaints against you, you will have something to take into court against him. He will then have a very hard time standing before a judge and explaining himself.

Also by meeting and discussing the problem with him you may find out it is not coming from him at all, but something else. Who knows unless you talk!

All that aside I am really disappointed with all those who want to stick it to some guy who may have a reasonable complaint and we become that jerk gun owner. Shame on you!

I understand that this is probably a kneejerk reaction, but I find it a bit offensive. What if his wife suffers from migraines and he is just trying to protect her without putting his personal business out there? Or she just came back from Chemotherapy and wasn't feeling well that one day? That could be a reasonable explanation as to why some days 9AM is good and others it is not.... could it not?

I am not saying bend over backwards for our neighbors, but it never hurts trying to find out the source of the friction and trying to resolve it in a neighborly way.

Regards,

Doug

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    To All,

I must say that I am a bit taken aback by this "screw him" attitude! Very poor consideration in my opinion.

Think for a moment that if, instead of gunfire, it was a practice band playing head banger music at funky hours??? Or substitute whatever type of music you despise!

Noise is unwelcome anytime it disturbs your sleep or peace and quiet.

That said, since he mows at 9AM this shines a different light on the subject. But, even if he is a horses patoot that doesn't mean we should be.

I would start by approaching him and letting him know that you don't want to wake him up, so ASK him what would be a fair time on the weekend. This throws the ball back into his court and corners him on his answer. If he says 10AM you may want to gently ask that for that time is he willing to wait to begin mowing until after 10AM? He may not realize he is being a doofus.

Now, on the chance (probable sounding here) that he is just a jerk gently push him to name a time that is reasonable. If it is a time you can live with happily agree with it and don't start shooting before then. At the same time go home right away and write down the date and time of your polite conversation with him and the time you agreed to. That way IF he becomes a :poop:head and starts to file legal complaints against you, you will have something to take into court against him. He will then have a very hard time standing before a judge and explaining himself.

Also by meeting and discussing the problem with him you may find out it is not coming from him at all, but something else. Who knows unless you talk!

All that aside I am really disappointed with all those who want to stick it to some guy who may have a reasonable complaint and we become that jerk gun owner. Shame on you!

I understand that this is probably a kneejerk reaction, but I find it a bit offensive. What if his wife suffers from migraines and he is just trying to protect her without putting his personal business out there? Or she just came back from Chemotherapy and wasn't feeling well that one day? That could be a reasonable explanation as to why some days 9AM is good and others it is not.... could it not?

I am not saying bend over backwards for our neighbors, but it never hurts trying to find out the source of the friction and trying to resolve it in a neighborly way.

Regards,

Doug

As a guy whos wife suffers from pretty intensive migraines that require frequent ER visits, its pretty refreshing to see someone who is actually compassionate towards others potential issues.

Honestly if it was me, Id approach him myself and see if you cant talk it out and see what is really going on. Who knows what the real issues are.

huzyerdaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I would move it up an hour, the guy is an A** for even mentioning it to you, you are well within your rights, this is more trying to 'reach across the isle BS!', do what you want just like to guy next to you did...

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Today I was up and shooting at about 8:45 before it got to hot, my neighbor that I have spoke to about 3 times pulls in and gets out and looks at me like he is mad. But he goes to his trunk and gets out a box of clay pigeons and says "can I shoot with you"? I laughed and said sure.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I have the same problem, Melonsdad. ONE neighbor thinks he owns this strip of rural houses.

It doesn't matter one bit that he made all sorts of noise when I was on thirds, or that he can gun his Harley, or let his dog into my yard and get pissed when I draw on it for trying to attack me.

I've tried negotiating - I made friends with the dog! - but as for the rest, screw him, he's an ass. If he raises hell, I just reload (even if I wasn't going to) and shoot another string.

The sheriff's department have laughed in his face several times.

Josh

Top Bottom