What is a reasonable time to begin shooting on your land?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Simple solution here, at

8:30AM: Sound the Air horn. Be sure to sound it at least 5-6 times.
    (Don't have one, buy one from Harbor Freight for your car or truck.)

8:45AM: Air Horn again.

8:55AM More Cowbell, I mean Air Horn.

9:00AM: Begin shooting, and know, that you need not fear waking him with gunfire. And that you have met your neighborly obligations.

On an equally serious note, I'm a late riser, so 9AM might be pushing it for me. But when I did live in the country I can say that the ^#($@ rooster was the focus of my anger. Petty noises like guns don't even begin to compare to the annoyance that is the rooster.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The only other thing I think you would be able to do is put up a range flag. Once you hoist it, give him about ... 15 minutes. This way, it gives him ample opportunity to put on ear plugs, turn on noise, etc.

Past that, if he doesn't consider that, well, considerate... I don't know what else to tell you.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The only other thing I think you would be able to do is put up a range flag...

Can't see the range from his house, or from my house, or from any other houses within a 1 mile radius. Nearest visible house is every bit of 1.5 miles away. The range is located on low land, nearest homes are his and mine and one other, all 3 of those are located up on top of the ridge line about 40' above the range area, and several hundred feet through the woods.

The range flag would have to be on top of a VERY TALL pole.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    It seems to me that the issue with your neighbor is not the noise, but with guns in general. If he is mowing at 0900 then he has no grounds for a noise complaint for your shooting at the same time. As to his complaint of rounds hitting his property, from your description of the property, that isn't possible. He is looking for an excuse to get you stop shooting at all. It seems to me that you have been very considerate and reasonable with him. It looks to me like your neighbor is a hoplophobe, and that is no reasonable way to appease him. I say shoot when you want. Let him grow up or move.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    The law in our area is quiet time is from 11pm to 6am. But there is no law for hunting all night. I do it quite often.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I, for one, think that the sound of a lawn mower is not really comparable to the sound of gunfire. Currently I live in the city and have VERY close neighbors. (10 feet or less between houses). Mowing starts sometimes around 8am and ends sometimes around 9 or 9:30 pm. Gunfire is extremely rare, but occurs usually very late at night. If I hear gunfire, I DEFINITELY wake up... lawn mowers, not so much.

Moving to the country, I wouldn't be surprised if a tractor harvesting hay or a lawn mower was running early in the AM. When I say early, I mean 6am. I don't imagine I'll start my mower before 8am, and my wife might make we wait until 9am. I wouldn't expect to hear sustained (target practice) at that hour however. I think 10am is more reasonable.

NOTE: During my recent property search, I came across a good looking house on acreage. It was near the ACC. I decided not to look at that property because I don't want to be around the sound of gunfire on a consistent and sustained basis (though it would have been pretty nice to have such a nice facility so close by!).

Anyhow, I advocate being as courteous as possible with the neighbor. Some people are simply unreasonable, but it is up to you to determine how much of an ass you want to be. Some folks' posts here make them out to be HUGE asses. To the OP, you are probably fine starting at 9, but 10 might be better. Talking directly to the neighbor regarding the issue would be my advice... then you'll KNOW his expectations and can address them as appropriate. :twocents:

NOTE 2: last year on deer season opening day I was hunting my in-law's property. One of their neighbors was target shooting ALL DAY LONG. That was a little annoying!

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Hell, I think you'd be fine any time after 8am. And I like to sleep in as much as the next guy. I just don't happen to think that my neighbors get to dictate how I live my life. I won't be noisy for the sake of being an a$$, but if I'm ready to get my day started and it's after 8am, then I'm going to do it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I just received the COUNTY CODE for shooting on rural property. It was sent to me by the President of the County Council.

It ONLY affects properties of 1 acre or less that are also INSIDE a platted subdivision. It does NOT affect properties outside of a platted subdivision.

It ONLY applies to 'target or practice' shooting and specifically exempts 'hunting' activities, and again ONLY affects people with 1 acre or less inside of a platted subidvision.

It does NOT affect any organized charities, non-profits, or commercial shooting clubs, veterans organizations, ranges, etc.

It does NOT affect my shooting, in fact it does NOT affect any of the properties inside the subdivision in which I live since all of the properties are greater than 1 acre (mine is nearly 9 acres).

There is NO time limit on shooting restricting either the duration of the shooting sessions or the times at which someone may shoot in the ordinance.​

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I just received the COUNTY CODE for shooting on rural property. It was sent to me by the President of the County Council.

It ONLY affects properties of 1 acre or less that are also INSIDE a platted subdivision. It does NOT affect properties outside of a platted subdivision.

It ONLY applies to 'target or practice' shooting and specifically exempts 'hunting' activities, and again ONLY affects people with 1 acre or less inside of a platted subidvision.

It does NOT affect any organized charities, non-profits, or commercial shooting clubs, veterans organizations, ranges, etc.

It does NOT affect my shooting, in fact it does NOT affect any of the properties inside the subdivision in which I live since all of the properties are greater than 1 acre (mine is nearly 9 acres).

There is NO time limit on shooting restricting either the duration of the shooting sessions or the times at which someone may shoot in the ordinance.​

give your neighbor a copy and BLAST AWAY!!!!!!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

But this scenario is exactly the kind of catalyst that causes there to be things like "time limits."

So instead of pissing everyone off and getting one neighbor with a bug in his britches to start drumming up support for a new "reasonable restriction" on guns, tell him "sorry, I'll try to wait till 10am from now on."

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    But this scenario is exactly the kind of catalyst that causes there to be things like "time limits."

So instead of pissing everyone off and getting one neighbor with a bug in his britches to start drumming up support for a new "reasonable restriction" on guns, tell him "sorry, I'll try to wait till 10am from now on."

Agreed and as I have stated I am TRYING to be as accommodating as is REASONABLY possible.

But should this really get into a major pissing match the president of our county council worked with the Pro-Gunners to craft this ordinance so that it would protect those of us with reasonable sized pieces of property. We had people from my neighborhood help him craft this bill. So that said, I think we will remain safe with regards to shooting.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Agreed and as I have stated I am TRYING to be as accommodating as is REASONABLY possible.

But should this really get into a major pissing match the president of our county council worked with the Pro-Gunners to craft this ordinance so that it would protect those of us with reasonable sized pieces of property. We had people from my neighborhood help him craft this bill. So that said, I think we will remain safe with regards to shooting.

But what if that guy resigns as prez. and your neighbor sticks around for years... you never know :dunno:

What I mean to say is, you're in the clear now, but grudges have potentially long memories.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I say if people don't want to hear any noise in their home, they should invest in sound proofing and stop *****ing about their neighbors.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    But what if that guy resigns as prez. and your neighbor sticks around for years... you never know :dunno:

What I mean to say is, you're in the clear now, but grudges have potentially long memories.

Even if my neighbor becomes the president of the HOA he can't stop shooting. The HOA does not have the authority to stop it. Our HOA cannot stop activities that are not forbidden by the land covenants and the neighborhood developer was an avid shooter/hunter so when it was developed it was developed with permission for shooting :yesway: The HOA cannot undo what he did :)

This afternoon I was 3 doors down the street talking with another neighbor and he was asking me about shooting with his kids on his property, I explained the neighborhood rules to him and he's going to be blasting away soon too!

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    I think you are well within reason to be shooting at the same time your neighbor begins to mow the lawn. Neither one is entirely pleasant to hear in the mornign but you will also never make anyone happy. If your nieghbor thinks it is too early then maybe consider shifting it back to ten, however I believe you are just fine at 9 am, and if it was me I would not start any later next time.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I like to sleep in on saturday when Im at the cabin. The problem is our property is kinda in a big valley. Kinda like a big ampitheater seems like. When people start mowing and weed eating at 730a, it bothers me. I dont think 9am is unreasonable, but if I knew it bothered them I would wait till 10 or 11 just to be a good neighbor.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I've shot at at all hours, but most of the time its after lunch.

A while back my one neighbor that no one likes would shoot his guns when I'd let my dogs out at 11 PM....Guess he didn't like it that it made his dogs bark.

I let it go on for a few nights and then one time I did a 30 round mad dump into the ground after he shot twice.

It has been quiet for 4 years.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I do not shoot on my range until at least 10am. The former Sheriff of Owen County told me once that he did not shoot on his personal range before noon.

Top Bottom