What is a reasonable time to begin shooting on your land?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    It is very likely there will be a new fence built soon too. That will actually **** him off because of the way the woods and fields run at odd angles, his view out the rear of his house includes a portion of my property that I cannot even see so it visually makes his yard look bigger than it is. Run a fence through there and all of a sudden that cuts into his view, but my wife and I both feel that his crossing into my yard and 'inspecting' my shooting area was a bit over the top and unreasonable. He could have called me and asked to talk to me. He, instead, snuck onto my property and then yelled at my wife. He essentially has declared war and while that is NOT what I want, I will cover my butt and control my land.

1. Check out your county fencing codes to see if you can force him to build half of a fence.

2. Check to see if the half of the fence you can FORCE HIM TO BUILD AND MAINTANE is in an area a stream, run off, or designated drainage has water flowing through it, especially when it rains hard. These are EXTREME pain in the "A" and expensive to keep in good condition.

3. If all the above is in the affirmative all you really need to do is follow the ordinance... but notify him of your intent to build a fence that meets the required ordinance by certified letter and you expect him to complete and keep up his half of said fence.

4. Sit back and watch him become friendly as a new puppy as it all sinks in.

Last edited:

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    Jack is right , I ran into the same thing and most county's have the fence law , horse high , hog tight and bull strong. He will be required to pay for half and if he won't the county will put a lien on his property for his amount due.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Jack is right , I ran into the same thing and most county's have the fence law , horse high , hog tight and bull strong. He will be required to pay for half and if he won't the county will put a lien on his property for his amount due.

Thats pretty messed up imo, I have no issues with anyone wanting to put a fence up, but how is that right that a different person has to pay for half? I dont quite understand that.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Thats pretty messed up imo, I have no issues with anyone wanting to put a fence up, but how is that right that a different person has to pay for half? I dont quite understand that.
    I think those fence laws are because I could wait for my neighbors to my sides and behind me to put up fences so then I have 3 sides of my property enclosed and now I just have my front to fence in at a big savings thanks to my neighbors, although it would suck if I had no desire to ever fence my property and had to contribute to my neighbors fencing around me.
    I would guess that these are old laws inacted to keep the peace between folks with large properties.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think those fence laws are because I could wait for my neighbors to my sides and behind me to put up fences so then I have 3 sides of my property enclosed and now I just have my front to fence in at a big savings thanks to my neighbors, although it would suck if I had no desire to ever fence my property and had to contribute to my neighbors fencing around me.
    I would guess that these are old laws inacted to keep the peace between folks with large properties.

Still makes no sense imo, if you want to fence your yard then you should go ahead and get approval from your city/county and do it yourself. You should be the one paying for it, not your neighbor who really doesn't want one. That just seems ludicrous to me.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I think those fence laws are because I could wait for my neighbors to my sides and behind me to put up fences so then I have 3 sides of my property enclosed and now I just have my front to fence in at a big savings thanks to my neighbors...
    I fenced my entire back and side yards with 6' wood shadow box fence. Did the work all by myself by hand...one slat at a time. I have about $1700 in it...not a lot of money I know. My neighbor 2 doors down hired a company to do the same thing.

The guy between us asked both of us if he could run a fence across his back yard and tie into ours. I kept my fence about 30" inside my property line so I could trim at the base and weather seal it every other year. I didn't do that so he could tie into it and put up a fence for 1/3 the cost of mine...or get use of 2.5' of my property.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Makes me glad that I have cool neoghboors around me..... not that I can legally shoot (residential marion county), we get along good, I am in one neighbors yard quite a bit and he is in mine...... he even cut my grass for me yesterday when my wife and I were at work....... if I could shoot I know they would not care much....

I have not read all the posts since my last but like I said if my neighbor started shooting at 8am and it was loud enough to wake me or my family I would at least ask him till wait till 10 or us find a middle ground..... this is if I was still working nights or something......

From your point of view I don't do well with people on my property that are not invited or that I don't know. Id put up a few no tresspassing sings and if he comes back tell him the next time he will be tresspassed.

Just remember though..... people have been murderd over property disputes......

Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    The problem here isn't noise. The problem here is that OP's neighbor isn't a shooter, and as such, doesn't think what OP is doing is "normal" or appropriate. Shooting, and the noise associated, isn't part of the neighbors universe like it is ours. I personally would be eager to join in the fun. :)

I'm not saying OP shouldn't accommodate his neighbors requests: if his neighbor is a good neighbor, then by all means he should.

What I am saying is this could be a great opportunity to educate your neighbor on our ways. Why not invite him over for shoot, at a time he finds more appealing? Once he sees it as a "normal" thing, he probably won't be so uptight. :)

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Boy am I glad I live out in the sticks..... because mowing the lawn starting 7:00AM or finishing mowing at 10:00PM is a norm for me as well as shooting on my range for 3+ hours straight.

Ahhhh to live out in the middle of nowhere...

AccuRat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Just north of nowhere...
    Depending on what you're shooting, get an old water barrel or drum (55 gal type), cut a 6-12" hole in each end, line the inside with sound absorbing material and shoot through that to your target. Doesn't eliminate all the sound, but drastically reduces the noise footprint. This, of course, assumes you have the space, means, time and desire to do so....

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    If we were allowed to shoot where I live, and it was 8am in the morning on a saturday and my neighbor started shooting. I'd get dressed and head over and ask if I can shoot too. That is of course if I woke up, After 13 years of working afternoons and midnights all 12 hour shifts I've learned to sleep through anything, anytime and anywhere.

One of my favorite things about my town is the lake. I live about a block away, and during duck season. It's awesome, and the only reason I wake up is when the dogs want to go outside, then as soon as I realise theres hunting going on I grab a cup of coffee and sit on the back porch and drink my coffee and smoke a few cigarettes(may be switching back to cigars now) and relax to the symphony of gun shots over the water. It's just so peacefull.

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    I shoot on my property but I usually do my chores first on the weekends so by the time I start plinking its past noon. Sometimes I can hear my neighbors shooting first (were close but not that close to each other).

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I would say 9 is reasonable on weekdays and maybe 11 am or noon on weekends. Perhaps earlier in the summer to avoid the heat. When I moved in I asked the neighbors about other folks around here, and whether they would object. They said just do it whenever you want; subscribing to the it's your land do what you want to with it philosophy. I still try and keep it reasonable. Noon to 5ish.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I moved to the sticks so I can shoot and have fires and all the fun stuff that comes with having property. Most people understand living in the country means people like to do these things.

I had no close neighbors when I moved here and in the last 5 years or so have a couple now. However the closest is a relative(a ass) of someone who lived about a half mile away.
    I have shot here since I moved here in 1997, so my point is everyone around me knows I shoot and the close one knew before they built a house there. The only time I have seen a cop come down my road in years was the first time I was shooting after they built there house and moved in (he didn't stop)

I shoot when the conditions are right (wind, mirage , ect) if that's 6am or dusk so be it. Not trying to be an ass, but its my property and I live hear to enjoy it not for my neighbors. In turn I don't complain if others make noise, to me that's country living.

Top Bottom