What I learned at the gun counter today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I know this guy too.

He was also a member of Delta Force, the CIA, FBI, landed at Normandy, captured Saddam Hussein and almost took out UBL. You meet these "experts" every time you enter a gun shop or sporting goods department.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Swung by the Crawfordsville Big R today to check on ammo, and see if they've got any interesting guns in, as is my habit when I run to the bank. Just FYI, they do not have any .22LR or handgun ammo. Learned a couple interesting things today, though. To be clear from the get go, I do NOT have a Big R representative to thank for this education.

1) You cannot open carry a gun on your person or in your vehicle if you have an open carry permit. Thankfully the gentleman was smart enough to bring a holster, because apparently in the factory box is open carry. I didn't actually pursue that line of thought, though.

2) It is illegal to take a handgun across state lines without a special federal permit. This means that reciprocity is a trap. Say we go to Michigan, get pulled over. Even though our permit is valid, we are still going to be arrested for violating the federal law.

I never knew that :rolleyes:

OTOH, I did see an interesting, tiny little gun today. A teensy, tiny .380 called the Desert Eagle Micro. I'm gonna have to study up on that, and think about buying one, just so I can say I have a Desert Eagle. "This is my .380 Magnum. It shoots through... well not much, but it's my Desert Eagle, dammit!" :D

Good for you, Joe. I would NOT have kept my mouth shut, more-so I probably would have politely mentioned that he needed to be in the sewing section instead of at the gun counter.

Comments like that make me nervous. I mean really nervous. How can one be so ignorant to think anyone would believe the crap spewing out of his mouth?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Good for you, Joe. I would NOT have kept my mouth shut, more-so I probably would have politely mentioned that he needed to be in the sewing section instead of at the gun counter.

Comments like that make me nervous. I mean really nervous. How can one be so ignorant to think anyone would believe the crap spewing out of his mouth?

Well, I actually didn't keep it close at first. "Oh no, you can carry however you want, here I'll show you mine, doesn't say concealed... Oh, you have one, and you KNOW you can't OC. OK."

Then: "As long as you are legal where you leave, and where you arrive, federal law lets you... Oh, I see, you still need that special federal permit. OK. Hey, Cathy, check out the guns."

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I saw that micro DE the other day when I was in there. Nice looking. Even though I am fairly new to all of this I know to just keep to myself when looking around especially in Cville. I am curious on the price of the WASR? there.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Hmm... I'd like to meet this fellow, and since I'm in C-ville, who knows? :D

Haven't taken it in Big R yet, just cause I haven't gone, but I've been all over in the last week OC'ing, and not one comment or odd look.

I've visited gas stations, restaurants, home depot, big lots, Specks pet store,all over downtown, etc. No one cares :). Except for this guy, so let me rephrase: no one of consequence cares:):

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Yeah, you do need that special federal permit, but luckily I can sell you one! Just wait a second until I get my photoshop up...:laugh:

Passive101

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    La Porte
    What was there asking price for the Micro Desert Eagle?

It's actually a gun that's been around for a bit. It's just being changed a bit and sold by them. Look up the Kevin.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    There seems to be a myth going around that if you have a LTCH, you are prohibited by law from having the gun in the open. This gentleman was quite adamant about it.

Probably the myth stays alive because there are some states where it's true. For instance, in Colorado - where open carry legality appears to be somewhat of a mystery to everyone, but everyone agrees that technically it's kind of legal - it's illegal for those with a CCW to carry openly.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    LMAO. I was in walmart yesterday doing the same thing, checking ammo prices and the like when the guy next to me struck up a conversation. About a minute into it, these are his EXACT WORDS. "You know, all these people running around with guns I'm glad the navy trained me to spot someone who was packing from a mile away." I nodded my head, walked away, and patted my G23 IWB......damn training must have worn off!! I wonder if everybody in the navy gets that training........nah couldn't be must have been one of the special ops classes!!

When I was in the Army in the 82nd, they had some similar training, in a way. You just assume everyone in front of you is armed and kill all of them. It supercedes all that figuring out stuff, and ensures that you don't unfairly miss someone who is packing.

I'm not sure the training is completely practical in civilian life.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    When I was in the Army in the 82nd, they had some similar training, in a way. You just assume everyone in front of you is armed and kill all of them. It supercedes all that figuring out stuff, and ensures that you don't unfairly miss someone who is packing.

I would love to here the ROE for that! :rockwoot:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Awww... The good ol' days! When we actually were allowed to shoot our enemies. Without having to call a lawyer and ask if that is PID (Positive ID) of the individual shooting at us. God how I hate lawyers!

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Awww... The good ol' days! When we actually were allowed to shoot our enemies. Without having to call a lawyer and ask if that is PID (Positive ID) of the individual shooting at us. God how I hate lawyers!

"How did you know he was an enemy combatant?"

"Umm. Cause I shot him?"

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Sorry not good enough of an answer in today's PC military. You better make for damn sure that the bastage that you sent to meet whatever god he believed in was righteous. It is worse than being a cop...

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Sorry not good enough of an answer in today's PC military. You better make for damn sure that the bastage that you sent to meet whatever god he believed in was righteous. It is worse than being a cop...

Yeah, I saw that "controversial" shooting a couple of years ago when there was an investigation about someone shooting a wounded guy when they were assaulting a building. I was puzzled, because I thought when you went in through the door of a place from which you had been shot at, you shoot everyone in the room. We were taught to even shoot people who appeared dead, as long as they were still in front of us. Only after an area was secured did the wounded become prisoners and not combatants.

I guess I have this crazy old-fashioned notion that when people shoot at you, you should shoot back until they stop moving around. Calle me a hopeless romantic.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yeah, I saw that "controversial" shooting a couple of years ago when there was an investigation about someone shooting a wounded guy when they were assaulting a building. I was puzzled, because I thought when you went in through the door of a place from which you had been shot at, you shoot everyone in the room. We were taught to even shoot people who appeared dead, as long as they were still in front of us. Only after an area was secured did the wounded become prisoners and not combatants.

I guess I have this crazy old-fashioned notion that when people shoot at you, you should shoot back until they stop moving around. Calle me a hopeless romantic.

Not if you have a media man with you! Otherwise... :D

Personally I am a huge fan of MLRS. Nothing says you pissed me the F*CK OFF like smashing an entire grid square in 1 minute or less.

Top Bottom