Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Shot and cleaned both the AR and .40.
    Started entertaining a different way to pack my bugout bag and my ruck.

Actually started discussing my own little MSG with some reliable friends and family that we've already established but haven't organized. Thanking INGO for that idea!

Realizing I have the right cold weather gear, but missing a few methods of fire starting.

Today was more a day of thought than prep, but I did write a 10 page paper and a 5 page paper for school. lol There's always tomorrow, or is there? :)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Just picked up 3 more varieties of heirloom tomato starts! Last week, Mr Stripey, Red Beefsteak, Pink Brandywine. Now this week, Yellow Pear, German Johnson, and German Queen (no jokes about the German Johnson or German queen or any combination of the two, I already went there and it turned out bad). I'm going to try to take weekly pictures of each and note qualities of plants, fruit and yield.....Then grow two srains each year on a rotation to keep a fresh supply of seeds for each. I also picked up a dozen strawberry plants that will turn into 5 dozen in no time, and bought 6 rhubarb starts last week. Just need the ground to dry up a bit so I can get it all in the ground and get some blackberry starts from Moms. I have over a dozen varieties of peppers started along with all the usual suspects that need to go in the ground soon or get put in bigger pots!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Just picked up 3 more varieties of heirloom tomato starts! Last week, Mr Stripey, Red Beefsteak, Pink Brandywine. Now this week, Yellow Pear, German Johnson, and German Queen (no jokes about the German Johnson or German queen or any combination of the two, I already went there and it turned out bad). I'm going to try to take weekly pictures of each and note qualities of plants, fruit and yield.....Then grow two srains each year on a rotation to keep a fresh supply of seeds for each.

You can also try your hand at making your own variety by combining the types you have.Here are instructions... http://www.avrdc.org/LC/tomato/seedhybrid.pdf

From my understanding your new "hybrid" will still be an open pollinated heirloom variety as long as both parents are at the start.

Added some more to our food storage.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    So far this month, we purchased another 20 packs of a variety of heirloom seeds (tomatoes, carrots, greenbeans, peas, and cantaloupe...a couple breed varieties of each for $.20/pack). We have a great start on our garden peas and onions (planted 3 weeks ago and are now at a height of 3") Our next group of plants are due into the ground in the very near future. Our indoor starts for tomatoes are up to a very nice 6" now of 4 different breeds getting ready for the garden. We ordered 2 cases of MRE's. And possibly the best news is that I talked my dad and aunt into donating over $500 facevalue of pre 65 silver coins to us. She and my dad have had these coins since they were children, they took them to a coin dealer and weren't happy with the price offered, so they opted to give them to us (they have zero interest in preps) under the condition that they wouldn't be sold/used unless it was a SHTF senario. This marks the first time I can say I've actually got any real pre-65 coins in my preps. Additionally, received another 1K rounds of 5.56 via online purchase.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Making a list of things I need to pick-up for ordinary gear made me decide to re-pack my bugout bag.

My main pack is an Eberlestock G4, and I mainly got it so I could take a long rifle/my ar15 with me if SHTF, plus it's very nice and has tons of space. I reworked the entire way I've packed it, plus I adjusted all of my stuff sacks I have changing them from cylinder type of use to flattening them. It seems to work better for how my gear is stowed in the pack and seemed to free up some space.

I still need to work on my day pack which is a Maxpedition Proteus that I have attached by molle to the bottom rows on my BOB. So yeah, today was just a day of rotating magazines, packing gear, and charging batteries.

I am looking for a suggestion though. All of my lights run off of cr123a's, and I have rechargable batteries with a charger that I can use in a car. Would you rather go this route, or buy Li-ion disposables?

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    a really big bag of dry roasted salted peanuts at Menards. There already preserved and are a great source of protein. I'm still working on the last bag from a year ago so they seem to last and haven't become stale. They have unsalted too.

Buy a bag and forget about it. I think it was $5.59 a bag.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had a good week of prepping:

Maintained combat conditioning, or upped it a bit

1 Fight Nite/sparring session

2 dryfire sessions

1 Range trip-worked G19, Tomcat, J frame reloads

Went to the woods, built a shelter, made a fire w/ one spark, worked some bushcraft.

Bought some 2 pound cans for dehydrated soup

Tested my MURs radio set up w/ local crew

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Repacked my GHB and my wife's car bag. MUCH smaller and lighter now, without the winter stuff. Even threw in a extra bottle of water.

Finally started stocking my can storage rack. Still need to add a 3rd "level", and then it will store 300+ cans first-in, first-out.

As soon as the rain lets up a bit, the garden is going in. My wife picked up a bunch of seeds, and a few heirlooms to try out.

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Not sure if anyone here buys silver, but there was a nice little dip this morning. Picked up 10/oz for $1.50 over spot and in 1.5 hours broke even on spot. Not a huge deal I know, but it was nice to add a little more to the collection.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Not sure if anyone here buys silver, but there was a nice little dip this morning. Picked up 10/oz for $1.50 over spot and in 1.5 hours broke even on spot. Not a huge deal I know, but it was nice to add a little more to the collection.

I used to buy silver, but I quit because in my situation I think the same money could be better used for other preps. Another 10oz. of silver is a very nice chunk of change these days. Where did you buy it? I've gotten all my silver from APMEX.com.

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    I went through Scottsdale silver. I agree though, I don't plan on sinking my life savings into silver and if SHTF, food and ammo would definitely be the better investment. It's on a small dip again and it looks like maybe I should've held out because this entire week could be a roller coaster. But oh well, I'm in it long term and I suspect it'll continue to rise through out 2011-2012. Even if it drops to $40/oz I'd only be out $100 or so on this purchase, it would suck but life goes on.

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    If anyone is looking to buy silver I highly recommend Scottsdale. Typically, there's a 3 week delay but they have free shipping on orders over $500 and shipping is where some of the other companies like to get you. Also, watch the charts this week it could be very interesting.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm just not sure about the silver right now. I don't doubt for a second that it's good to have some and to have it long term, but part of me wonders when the buying bubble is going to pop. If it goes over 50 per oz (which I expect it to) then I think all bets are off for where it'll end up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom