• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I primarily use kosher salt. Table salt in my opinion is worthless. No adherence and it breaks down way to fast for everyday use such as putting a good layer of salt on a steak to help with that awesome sear (although I will use table salt for baking but in a pinch beat the **** out of kosher salt and you have the right size to properly break down when baking).

Curing salt is pretty much a one use fits all type of salt since it is treated with nitrate. The nice thing is a couple lbs of it last damn near forever (I usually use about 2 TB when making a 6lb corned beef).

If I could find 25 lb bags of kosher salt I would be in heaven. Instead I just stockpile the Morton's kosher salt tubs.
    Well, I use straight un-iodized salt when I make my curing mix. I usually find it sold as a feed additive for livestock. Then I add my nitrate, nitrite and sugar. It is WAY less expensive than buying the "mortons" curing mix.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Well, I use straight un-iodized salt when I make my curing mix. I usually find it sold as a feed additive for livestock. Then I add my nitrate, nitrite and sugar. It is WAY less expensive than buying the "mortons" curing mix.

Yeah the mortons stuff is pure crap.

I normally buy from sausagemaker.com and they are pretty reasonable.

Do you have a recipe though because I am always in the mood for cheaper and better to know how to make the stuff.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I ordered a case of Mac & Cheese from the local grocer. (Will pick up Thursday.)

My son took the 15' camper to a friend's and brought the 20' one home.
    (I may sell the smaller one - or - failing that, will gut it and make it into a cargo "van".)

Typicalclinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I put a few more cans of beef on the shelf. I also added another propane canister for the stoves/lanterns. I also bought a propane adapter for a 1977 coleman stove I got at a garage sale for $3. I still need to clean the stove up a bit.

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I started my backyard aquaponics project today
    Aquaponics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Backyard Aquaponics • Index page
    IMG_4196.jpg

I did the pilot Saturday
    IMG_4192.jpg

IMG_4193.jpg

8 strawberries
    8 bib lettuce
    8 Broccoli

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have been taking all the useful information gathered on the pc and having them printed and bound at a Fed-Ex office store.A 300 page "book" costs $32.00. .09 cents per page and $4.99 for the binding.

Anyone have any links or good information to share?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Wife started our mobile garden as we'll be moving mid summer. Gave the Steri-Pen a trial run, and I'll report back tomorrow with my vomiting and diarrhea if it failed. Got in on some MRE's and added some Mountain House to the garage.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We have been taking all the useful information gathered on the pc and having them printed and bound at a Fed-Ex office store.A 300 page "book" costs $32.00. .09 cents per page and $4.99 for the binding.

Anyone have any links or good information to share?

PM Sent

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I got started on another AR project. I'll have another rifle to hand out the new recruits when they show up wanting food & water.

454comp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    read through my sas hand book and went out bak to try some of the traps and water collection tips... did'nt want to leanr how to when i really needed to know. now i want to learn how to can and jar food for storage.

311thewiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Valpo
    Got a new job that pay 2.5 x's more than my current one. I cleaned out the shed to put in a freezer and added space to the shelves for more food. And i bought 440 rounds of russian steel for my mosin.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Still making weekly payments on main mortgage and vehicle. No extra out of pocket and will be paid off much faster. As of today we don't need to make a payment until September. Short term that is great if another small scale SHTF scenario happens.

Been putting an extra $100 a week back for an extra savings, just in case.

Got my case of .22 lr in. Put a sight on the 10/22 and need to zero it.

Added more TP and canned goods to the stores. Starting on a calorie counter of sorts so we can see what we have vs what we need. Short term is three months plus spares for barter or beggars.

Taking a plastic drum off-site and filling with water. Also setting a bin up for off-site food. Not as much as here, but just in case.

Started looking for country acreage again.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Picked up 3 open pollinated (heirloom) varieties of tomato plants, "Mr. Stripey", "Pink Brandywine", and "Big Beefsteak". What struck me as "odd" was the fact that they are actually starts rather than seeds. They are large enough to take a half a dozen or so clones from each one. The other "odd" thing is that this was all they had there, no flats of hybrids or anything. They were a bit expensive at $5 each, but as long as they yield a fair amount of healthy mature fruit I'll have tomatoes forever....

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    A big white generic box of Dry Powdered Milk fortified with Vitamins A&D.

YUMMY :40oz:

I remember my mom having this stuff on hand during the old time blizzards of my youth 'cuz no one was driving anywhere for a few days.

If I recall, it kind of made you want to :puke:

Unless you live on or near a dairy farm and won't/don't/can't pay $50.00 for a gallon of the real stuff in the city (in a post SHTF world) and diesel fuel is more rare than gold.....well....the dry nasty stuff will do.

They say to mix it up and leave it sit in the fridge/cold cellar for a day before drinking it. I really :dunno:

For now, it's just gonna collect dust.

Oh yeah....more AMMO !!!

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    A big white generic box of Dry Powdered Milk fortified with Vitamins A&D.

YUMMY :40oz:

I remember my mom having this stuff on hand during the old time blizzards of my youth 'cuz no one was driving anywhere for a few days.

If I recall, it kind of made you want to :puke:

Unless you live on or near a dairy farm and won't/don't/can't pay $50.00 for a gallon of the real stuff in the city (in a post SHTF world) and diesel fuel is more rare than gold.....well....the dry nasty stuff will do.

They say to mix it up and leave it sit in the fridge/cold cellar for a day before drinking it. I really :dunno:

For now, it's just gonna collect dust.

I buy this instead of real milk now. Use either cold cold water out of the fridge or let it sit in the fridge for a day so it gets cold. My son can't tell the difference (and he's a food snob) but I can mix it up in smaller amounts so it doesn't go bad :rockwoot: I ALWAYS have at least 1 big box on hand

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom