Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It blows me away when I hear guys that about Federal Bulk. Yesterday I went through a 550rd brick and a half of another one without a single ammo related problem. I used it in 4 10-22's an NAA mini, and a ruger mark III target, no problems.

Yesterday I took every family members 10-22 to the range to zero everyones rifle at the same distance using the same ammo. It was a good thing I did, because my brother inlaws 10-22 had an ejector break on it, so now I've got two new ones ordered along with an extra firing pin. One to replace, another to keep around.

Otherwise, it's just another day in the slow and painful process of getting our house in the country built. Everything else is on hold until that's done.

We shoot a lot of .45 ACP and have bought Federal in bulk. Not a lot of issues but have had soft or light loads in the same batch. I have had straight up duds that showed solid strikes on the primers but no boom. Put the shell in another gun and same thing. A run of bad primers??? soft loads are my main issue as federals do not have the bark that we like in our guns. If I have a FTE in a 1911 it has been with a federal round. My Sig mosquito is finicky about ammo and it does not like the federal either. It runs OK in my Ruger and will run the semi-auto rifles (all .22) but just seems lazy. Not a fan of the shot shells either....JMHO

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I found this article: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/ext/Pubs/HO/HO_186.pdf

I'm on my second year with a garden. We expanded from 25x15 to about 40x20 this year. Planted a couple more plants this year adding beans and lettuce to our last year spread of tomato, peppers, cucumber, onions, and a variety of herbs. Planning to double up next spring in addition to doing some fall planting. We lost our peach trees after the early warmup and freeze. Our apple trees didn't fruit either. Probably need to figure out fertilization for these.

Also planning an expanded run for the chickens. We free ranged our first batch, but fox and coyote are prevelant and found us.

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    And started gardening in smaller spaces - would encourage anyone who doesn't have lots of space to learn to garden in the window and out of buckets. And to put up rain buckets for water to treat or water plants with. It's rewarding and tasty work.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Was getting ready for APPLESEED here on the 30th,will not be using bulk ammo for the test. Let me say that again...APPLESEED HERE ON THE 30th AND 1rst...one of the few in
    North West Indiana...Bring your .22 [rimfire only].Only 5 people signed up so far.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Standard deal. More fuel, dried foods, water, can goods, ammo (.243 and 12 gauge) and supply's for another med kit. Added more med supply's.
    We have over flowed our ability to store anymore goods. I am looking at another out building for fuel, bulk water and such.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Passed the tech exam a couple of weeks ago and received my Ham license and call sign this week. Started walking to try and get in better shape. Had a root canal as I don't want to be dealing with an abcessed tooth in a SHTF scenario.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Finished 132 feet of privacy fencing to secure part of our property from fox, coyotes, and other varment as well to give my kids a safer place to play so they can't be seen from the road, refinished a small part of the deck and planning the rest so it will support some rain barrels, ate a fine meal which 90% of came from the our garden and went swimming :) (just so I could see my wife in her bikini):rockwoot:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Posted my first thread [ not exactly prepping but passing info on prepping]
    about Appleseed,here in Lake Village. Some one moved it out of here . When did
    learning to shoot become "not prepping"...
    And I checked on the buckwheat...it's up. Apparently a crop that needs poor soil and
    little water will grow here.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The last 2 weeks have been busy for me...

I taught Soldiers, DoSt, DEA, and DoAg personnel...
    First Aid, Combat Trauma Management, Troop Leading Procedures, Operations Orders, Movement to Contact, React to Direct Fire, React to Indirect Fire, Convoy Operations, React to IED/UXO, Retrograde Operations, Medevac Procedures, and some other crap I am forgetting right now...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The last 2 weeks have been busy for me...

I taught Soldiers, DoSt, DEA, and DoAg personnel...
    First Aid, Combat Trauma Management, Troop Leading Procedures, Operations Orders, Movement to Contact, React to Direct Fire, React to Indirect Fire, Convoy Operations, React to IED/UXO, Retrograde Operations, Medevac Procedures, and some other crap I am forgetting right now...

Wondered where you have been.
    Did these folks learn anything??

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Ive decided to follow the "guns are tools" mentality and sell off the excess guns I have in order to address other prepping needs. Its pretty hard to honestly justify more guns than i can carry wben i dont have a big berkey or serious medical training. I'll still be just fine in the G & A department but I'll be miles ahead in other areas.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been thinning the herd a bit myself but when I sell 3 I always buy at least 1 more.
    On that note I picked up another Mossy (yeah, I called it a mossy) 590-A at the pawn shop new in the box. Have 2 now. They are tough hard core pump guns and perfect for close quarters defense.
    More fuel, ammo and looking at a bulk rice and beans purchase. I just have to make a place for it. We are full up.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have been thinning the herd a bit myself but when I sell 3 I always buy at least 1 more.
    On that note I picked up another Mossy (yeah, I called it a mossy) 590-A at the pawn shop new in the box. Have 2 now. They are tough hard core pump guns and perfect for close quarters defense.

I know what you mean. Right now my wife and I are building a house in the country so I could use the money to smooth over the process and get an orchard and other permanently fixed preps started this year. It's tough to say goodbye to soem guns, but I have to be honest with myself and if the SHTF I'm not going to carry every gun I currently own. I'll carry one rifle and a pistol and I'd be lucky to get my wife to do the same. The guns I've kept are a combination of my "go-to" guns and guns I can pass on to grandkids some day saying that this was the gun I got my first deer with.

I use periodic purging of the gun inventory to take an honest look at where things stand and where I'd like to go. I talked with my wife about it last night and she was more than happy to say that in the future I could replace anything I am selling today. So that 223 that I'm selling today may turn into a 338 lapua within a year.

In any case, I really think taking an honest look at my gun inventory was a good idea for me to do especially as I get more and more serious as a prepper. I have to be honest and know that I don't have to outfit a team of guys and realize that if the friends & family don't show up armed that they probably won't be worth housing & feeding.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Cool on the country house. I need to get farther out myself. Built many houses for other people, but never one for myself.

I hope that I don't need to sell off any firearms. I see it happening in the future, but they will be far down the list. For me, right now, it is a hobby. An expensive one, but I include the hobby in my preps. Six months from now I might be selling some off to survive unemployment, but for now I like to keep them.

I just picked up another 1600 rounds of pistol ammo. This way when I shoot I don't worry about depleting my preps. Before I met up with the seller I stopped and picked up some more canned goods, saltines, vinegar and a package of undies. All for the shelter.

The wife was out separately. When we got home I saw that she bought more canned goods as well, to build up our stock.

Another proud moment.

Oh and as far as the people that show up unprepared... they are called cannon fodder I believe. Will be some crow eating nay-sayers headed my way as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my quest to reduce the count in the safes I have been selling off a few and replacing them with something of higher quality or for a specific survival function. The 3 to 1 ratio is about right. The wife can no longer work due to some medical issues so any extra funds from my dealing goes into preps. Money is tight for everyone right now and guns, ammo, preps and such are not getting any cheaper.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've had trouble lately with people dumping their trash on my property so I've ordered some extra wireless cameras for my security system. I'd like to catch and prosecute the maggots that have no respect for others.
    I've been stocking up on canned and dry goods in anticipation of higher prices due to the drought we're having. Catching things on sale is always fulfilling for a miserly sob like myself. I guess I'm frugal at times.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom