• Status
    Not open for further replies.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I spend quite a good bit of time on water preps and training/fighting from and escaping to water. I live on three rivers. It floods. We live in Indiana, surrounded by lakes, rivers, streams, ponds, wetlands. I use that to my advantage, not as a problem to overcome.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I spend quite a good bit of time on water preps and training/fighting from and escaping to water. I live on three rivers. It floods. We live in Indiana, surrounded by lakes, rivers, streams, ponds, wetlands. I use that to my advantage, not as a problem to overcome.

You are prep to your environment...good thing. I live right in the middle of nutville and no hope of escape unless we hit the lotto. It is concrete, asphalt and zombies around me. Some good folks of course but we don't worry about them much. Until this was mentioned we gave no thought of water escape routes etc. Now we are looking into that.
    Issues with this is you are a wide open target with little chance of defending from a body of water. Just a thought.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Issues with this is you are a wide open target with little chance of defending from a body of water. Just a thought.

I tend to think along these lines when it comes to escaping a waterborne extract.

soc-r.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's funny that you all mention using the water. When we get moved out to the country this year I'll be near one of those three rivers and I'm planning on having some fun with that. One of the things I want to do is try keeping my BOB 100% waterproof and use it as a raft/tube to float down the river. Some places I've noticed are too shallow, but others might work just fine. Might cut a 5 mile walk down to 2 miles of walking and 3 of floating.

Wetsu, have you checked the water cleanliness of where you're training? There's some nasty bugs in the FW waters depending on where you're at.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Teddy, I sprinkle nasty bugs on my breakfast cereal. I was raised in Fort Wayne river water. I have never suffered one day of illness or infection as a result. I go to some pretty nasty places, including third world nations, with filthy water yet I never get laid low. I must have developed the gut of a billy goat.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You're made of a special blend of steel. I know several guys who've gotten in the waters in down town part of Fort Fun with minor scratches (the type you barely notice) and the next day have a nasty infection from getting in the water. I'm planning on having the water professionally tested shortly after moving to see for myself what's out there. Wouldn't hurt to know if the river is drinkable or what precautions are needed to make it drinkable.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Got one 275 gallon tote set up for potable water. Added another 55 gallon drum for non-potable. Put up shelving units in the hidey hole where I arranged the canned goods and such. Added more shelves so I could put additional (1 gal. jugs of) water, mylar bags of various items, food grade buckets filled, medical supplies, hygiene supplies, cases of MRE's, additional clothing and various tools.

Plan to put another tote on top of the first to add to the ready water. Cleaned up the garage and got softener salt, propane tanks and tools organized in there. Installed a small outside holding area for additional fuels.

Working on plans for a concrete wall to extend past the hidey hole as a wind buffer for tornado's and such. When complete it will not advertise to the road that it exists.

Just got a few metal cabinets for putting down there as well. One will be for the Bob's, to keep them mouse proof. The others include a set of file cabinets that I plan to put non-perishables that might be rodent fodder. Added a crow bar and additional fire extinguishers as well as various ammo.

Also decided to grab the GHB and adjust it. Putting a compact version of my EDC in it so all mags and ammo will fit. Added a few items that I learned about as well.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Collected some stuff to throw away during the Village Clean Up today (for seniors - and tomorrow for "youngsters". :D) I learned last year that their "truck load" means the city's dump truck! I wish I had known that then. Still forgot stuff (my son's) and still need to clean out the basement and get rid of more. But, most of that stuff will go in "household garbage". And the rest will be slipped in somehow. ;)

I took my game cart apart to see if it would fit in my truckbed toolbox if I need to G.O.O.D. I plan to put it back together - it will be easier for me to handle. I can strap it into the bed of the truck if necessary. (It's HEAVY!):rolleyes: I won't leave it in the truck anymore - just have it ready to grab (roll) if an emergency arises.

Not really related but I switched out two of the wheels on my grandmother's home-made hope chest and added a hinge thingie to keep the lid locked open. (It is made of REAL wood and it's very heavy).

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    You're made of a special blend of steel. I know several guys who've gotten in the waters in down town part of Fort Fun with minor scratches (the type you barely notice) and the next day have a nasty infection from getting in the water. I'm planning on having the water professionally tested shortly after moving to see for myself what's out there. Wouldn't hurt to know if the river is drinkable or what precautions are needed to make it drinkable.
    Just a point to consider before wasting any time on this......the potential contaminates floating past your house one moment, may not be the same ones floating past another moment......

The content of that water is going to change by the hour just like any other RIVER...

River | Define River at Dictionary.com
    riv·er

1    [riv-er] Show IPA
    noun 1. a natural stream of water of fairly large size flowing in a definite course or channel or series of diverging and converging channels.

2. a similar stream of something other than water: a river of lava; a river of ice.

3. any abundant stream or copious flow; outpouring: rivers of tears; rivers of words.

4. ( initial capital letter ) Astronomy . the constellation Eridanus.

5. Printing . a vertical channel of white space resulting from the alignment in several lines of spaces between words.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I grew up playing in the creeks and any standing, flowing or stagnant water available. Just do not drink the stuff unless you run it through a filter and treat it. Use your head. Large open wound, stay dry.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Teddy, Throttlejocky is correct. FW still has 100 year old combined sewer/ storm drains. When it rains hard raw sewage gets flushed into the rivers. The rest of the time the rivers contain farm run off, forest run off, industrial chemicals and the usual river flora.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Just a point to consider before wasting any time on this......the potential contaminates floating past your house one moment, may not be the same ones floating past another moment......

The content of that water is going to change by the hour just like any other RIVER...

River | Define River at Dictionary.com

100% agree with most of what you're saying. Different sections of the river are damned and it's not all just a gentle flowing river. There are parts of the river that are more stagnant then anything else until they decide lower the water level. In any case I'm still going to get it checked out and consider the results to be the baseline for whatever else can get dumped in there. That, and I'd really like to know if I could eat a fish out of the river too.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Tested the tech sights on the10-22 , works fine for me but wife prefers the 597 with
    fiber-optics front...tested Federal bulk 22s. Not impressed. Several failures to eject...
    next time Winchester bulk.
    Bought a new weeder for the black eyed peas and corn ,looks like a garden weasel .

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Started cleaning the basement. I'm getting rid of a lot of "junk". So far, I have about 20 dog food bags full of stuff. (I don't like wasting regular garbage bags on the type of junk I'm throwing away.) The dog food bags are smaller, but sturdier and somewhat water proof. Unfortunately, I broke my stapler on the bags. :xmad: I still have quite a bit of junk to get rid of, but it will wait until tomorrow. :D I will also have to replace the shelves or tear them out. (Which is what I want to do.)

My grand-daughter helped me with some of the stuff. ;) It just got too dark to see what I was doing. (No light in the corner I was work in. :rolleyes:)

I will be able to move my shelves and cabinets into the space I'm clearing soon. :D It will be nice to have a basement again. (Well, at least part of one. My son's band has their equipment in one section of the basement.)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Tested the tech sights on the10-22 , works fine for me but wife prefers the 597 with
    fiber-optics front...tested Federal bulk 22s. Not impressed. Several failures to eject...
    next time Winchester bulk.
    Bought a new weeder for the black eyed peas and corn ,looks like a garden weasel .

Will never again waste time and money on Federal bulk of any kind.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Started cleaning the basement. I'm getting rid of a lot of "junk".

This is what I did when I started moving my preps down there. Well to be honest it is still a work in progress. Unbelievable how much junk can be accumulated over the years. Been doing the same thing with the detached garage at my place.

Getting better organized sure is nice. Being able to find stuff that you knew you had is a money saver as well.

Right now I am working to rid the basement of the few mice that we have left. Four have become turtle food thus far. Have only moved protected type stuff down there because of that. Did put two more metal cabinets that seal up completely and a file cabinet that should work well for gauzes, paper stuffs and the like.

Keep up the work. Maybe get a light hung or pointed into the dark corner so it will be used more readily.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Will never again waste time and money on Federal bulk of any kind.

It blows me away when I hear guys that about Federal Bulk. Yesterday I went through a 550rd brick and a half of another one without a single ammo related problem. I used it in 4 10-22's an NAA mini, and a ruger mark III target, no problems.

Yesterday I took every family members 10-22 to the range to zero everyones rifle at the same distance using the same ammo. It was a good thing I did, because my brother inlaws 10-22 had an ejector break on it, so now I've got two new ones ordered along with an extra firing pin. One to replace, another to keep around.

Otherwise, it's just another day in the slow and painful process of getting our house in the country built. Everything else is on hold until that's done.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    This is what I did when I started moving my preps down there. Well to be honest it is still a work in progress. Unbelievable how much junk can be accumulated over the years. Been doing the same thing with the detached garage at my place.

Getting better organized sure is nice. Being able to find stuff that you knew you had is a money saver as well.

Right now I am working to rid the basement of the few mice that we have left. Four have become turtle food thus far. Have only moved protected type stuff down there because of that. Did put two more metal cabinets that seal up completely and a file cabinet that should work well for gauzes, paper stuffs and the like.

Keep up the work. Maybe get a light hung or pointed into the dark corner so it will be used more readily.

The light is one of the projects assigned to my son. It's the only area that doesn't have lighting (except for the window)
    I still have to go through the "junk" on the shelf - some of it is good and I will keep it (it may need cleaned tho - if possible)
    I have my mother's, daughter's, son's, and granddaughters stuff down there besides some books of mine.
    I'm hoping to find the parts to two perk type coffee makers (different sizes) that I have in my kitchen now. Hard telling what all I will find. :dunno:
    In fact, I'm getting ready to go down right after the noon news.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Meijer had Angel Soft 1/2 off last Fri and Sat. It was $1.99 for a 6 pack of double rolls. It was limit four so I had to go through line enough times to keep 6 people in TP for 2 years. As I was putting the last of about my 20 trips a lady asked me "is that a good deal." "No I got a entire truck load because I like to overpay"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom