• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    The only way to get a pure 60Hz sine wave is through DC inversion. (and cheap inverters will give you square waves).
    That inverter will certainly cost you! I know drivers that use CPAP machines and had to invest in the "good" inverter...They aren't easy to find either, and good luck finding a salesman that even knows there is a difference...rant off.

Check this out...Home - The Official Delco-Light Plant Collectors Site
    I know a guy in MN with one, complete and functional! He uses it still!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That inverter will certainly cost you! I know drivers that use CPAP machines and had to invest in the "good" inverter...They aren't easy to find either, and good luck finding a salesman that even knows there is a difference...rant off.

Check this out...Home - The Official Delco-Light Plant Collectors Site
    I know a guy in MN with one, complete and functional! He uses it still!
    Xantrex has them, you can buy them on ebay. For a 1800W continuous, 2900W surge inverter it'll cost you about $1200. Yes, they are pricey, but they are also top notch. IIRC, at no load they only draw 1.5W, which is much better than the draw of the cheap inverters you buy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hate to put this out there as it is my source but the motor homes being scrapped out in the wrecking yards all have decent inverter's. I have gotten several this way. It helps to be associated with these places so You know when the units come available. I have also found several big block Chevy, Ford and Chrysler engines with very low miles in these units.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I hate to put this out there as it is my source but the motor homes being scrapped out in the wrecking yards all have decent inverter's. I have gotten several this way. It helps to be associated with these places so You know when the units come available. I have also found several big block Chevy, Ford and Chrysler engines with very low miles in these units.
    Hmm... interesting... so lets say one finds a nice inverter in a scrapyard, could that person possibly make their own rigged up "Honda EU2000i" style generator with eco-throttle?

I'm envisioning a small, high efficiency gas engine (maybe even one off a EU2000i that the inverter failed on) connected to a 12 or 24 VDC permanent magnet generator, connected to the inverter... you could then run some type of governor that is controlled by the output of the DC generator... if the voltage drops it increases rpm, if voltage increases it drops rpm... that way it's set to keep the voltage in an "ideal range"...

Another option would be to run a dc generator to charge a battery bank and run the inverter from the battery bank...

shibumiseeker???

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Hmm... interesting... so lets say one finds a nice inverter in a scrapyard, could that person possibly make their own rigged up "Honda EU2000i" style generator with eco-throttle?

I'm envisioning a small, high efficiency gas engine (maybe even one off a EU2000i that the inverter failed on) connected to a 12 or 24 VDC permanent magnet generator, connected to the inverter... you could then run some type of governor that is controlled by the output of the DC generator... if the voltage drops it increases rpm, if voltage increases it drops rpm... that way it's set to keep the voltage in an "ideal range"...

Another option would be to run a dc generator to charge a battery bank and run the inverter from the battery bank...

shibumiseeker???

We screwed around and built a Generator similar to what you are thinking of in Iraq...

We used a 2 cycle weedeater for the power plant and a 24VDC Alternator off a HMMWV that charged 4 Batteries that had an invertor to power the TV, Playstation, and the Coffemaker...

We did have the resources to rig a governor system to control the out put through, I just used a Private and an Amp and Volt Gauge...

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    We did have the resources to rig a governor system to control the out put through, I just used a Private and an Amp and Volt Gauge...
    Nice! lol I have a 26cc weed eater hooked to a car alternator with a battery and small inverter that I use as a porta-power system to avoid running extension chords when I have a project out away from the house. I've read that a lot of old time RVers build these to keep their battery banks charged. My original plan was to instal it on a motorcycle frame with a 20HP electric motor, first hybrid motorcycle...never had any luck with the magnetic braking system design though so now it's just a genny. Just imagine though, New York to LA on 3 gallons of petro.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

shibumiseeker???

That is what we have done. The big system we built has 2 of these inverter's and 8 deep cycle battery's. The load is split off the batt. bank through the 2 inverter's for just what Jeremy said, coffee maker, lights, game console, TV and so on. The bank will even run the furnace. Both inverter's came from scraped motor homes and are rated @1800 watts full load. After Breakfast we run the 1800 w genny and charge the bank but it usually only needs topped off.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    More ammo, fuel for the genny's and propane for the stoves and auxiliary heaters.
    Wife found a bunch of non allergenic food for the granddaughter as she has serious allergy's. That stuff ain't cheap.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Filled up the tank on my truck and an extra 5 gal can before the price went up. (Got it @ $3.69 gal. by afternoon it went up to $3.99 gal) Whew!

Registered for QRZ.com practice tests. (I think I'm going to need a book. :D)

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I ordered a weather radio from e-bay, and the seller shipped a fish finder.....
    Nice one too.
    Trying to convince the wife that it's a sign to buy a boat.
    (Yes I am sending it back)

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Do to current financial situation, not nearly as much as I want. This spring I want to drag everything out of our garage (so I can find something for once), rearrange it, sell off a lot of the crap I never use, and stock up more on food. Until then, I watch Doomsday Preppers and punch holes in their plans. :)

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    At Walmart I picked up a bunch of dried potato packets for $0.50 each. A couple servings of carbs in a convenient package.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom