Not open for further replies.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    *Garden prep: asparagus (year 1) growing like a champ over 3 feet tall. Strawed the garden to retain moisture (pulverized lime 5 years ago).
    *Range day today: 600+ rounds sent down range; picked up brass available for family friend that also supplies
    *Considering adding more precious metals to the pile i.e. Silver

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Working on water reserves and consumables.
    With all the uncertainty of late the spouse is serious about this.

I've got to refill the water supply too. It's next on the priority list along with swapping in some winter clothes in the family go bags and giving the car a tune up before the real cold weather hits.

I have two small kids and we're in an apartment currently, so if anything serious were to come along we'll most likely be hitting the road to meet up with family.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I've not done as much with the garden this year (due to a spring injury then being busy at work) but I'm thinking about sitting down and ordering some seeds early. I don't like the gap I have right now with little preserved and can't start anything new for months, so having the seeds as early as possible would be a good fix.

Do you have a favorite seed company for large orders?

I also let the weeds go crazy; they got out of hand while we were on a summer trip so after that I just started working around them. Now I have the chickens foraging in the garden but I'm also gone to burn some of the worst of the weeds with a lot of seeds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With some thought to water reserves we are stepping up in that area.
    We always have plenty on hand but doing some fact gathering and crunching the real world numbers we are seriously short for the head count we would be taking care of.
    Space is the big issue here. We live in a slab style home so we have to be creative.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Having issues with my water service. Thought it was a heater issue, then maybe a softener issue... slowly taking everything out until I figure it out.

New well and pump around five years back.

Wife is not comfortable with drinking or cooking the stuff from the well so we have been using the stock-piled easy water. Gallons for the quick bursts and I brought up five gallon container for my coffee and such.

It is nice to have a plan when stuff like this happens.

Coincidentally our daughters live in Muncie, and they had a boil warning. The oldest called and asked if this was considered a good time to use the water reserves I left at her house. Very little disruption for them. Made me happy.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Maintained combat fitness with 6 days of workouts and running. One ruck march.

Rolled in the gym for 2 hours.

Dry fired twice. G19, AK and 870

One trip to the range. G19, J frame, Makarov, Tomcat and M6 Scout.

Taught a teen to shoot a bit better. Got him to the range.

Bought more water for long term storage.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Just bought my first piece of property. 6 acres, lots of woods and some cleared area for a cabin. currently looking into getting a building setup and then start enjoying.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    That's my big issue right now. the property has city water at it so I am torn between city and well. I would think the well because of back up in a grid down type scenario. For now, I am planning on setting up a water collection.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Make sure that the city will allow a new well to be put in. Some will not.

At times I wish I had the convenience of city water. Long term SHTF not so much, but this is Indiana and water is pretty abundant.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Took the kids to Disney for a week. Went through the mental exercise packing up the van with what I thought were the minimums if we weren't able to come back. Walked around the amusement park for a week going through gates getting bags checked. Kids had a blast, and we took some time to enjoy life and enjoy the moment.

Bought some ammo, ammo cans, other misc stuff. Started knocking the couple pounds I packed on while at Disney.

I was allowed to buy two of my nephews their very first "big boy" knife for Christmas. I wanted to get them something they could really use, and that would hold up while looking traditional enough to not completely offend their liberal mothers on first sight. Bought them the Condor bushlore's in micarta, a sharpening stone, some pieces of fatwood and a ferro rod. They don't know it yet, but I'm going to have them make a "try stick", feather stick, scrape some fatwood into fine shavings and a few other projects before they ultimately get to learn how to resharpen their knife. My "prep" in all of this is that I'm going to try and take whatever opportunity I get with these boys to show them how to be able to actually do something in the woods. Just trying to pass some experience on.

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    Canned 2 - 20 lb. turkeys, got a total of 14 qts. of meat. Unfortunately 1 jar broke (the cats got that meat) and another jar didn't seal (that meat is in the frig). So a total of 12 qts. of turkey meat on the shelf. I haven't canned a lot but this is the first time for having a jar break or fail to seal. The jar that broke I may have had the ring to tight but I don't know what happen to the jar that didn't seal, the rim and lid look clean.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom