Cheap_Cheep-tokprx-d.jpg
      8 KB · Views: 1

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    Had a little discussion with my wife and got her on board. Had her pick up a few things when she went to the store yesterday to put away. We did get and started raising chickens this year as a way to build some knowledge and skills about raising livestock. Been pretty slow getting started with this but at least we are making some progress now. Do any of you that have or raise livestock thought about or have ways that you prep for them? IE; Feed for the animals?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Had a little discussion with my wife and got her on board. Had her pick up a few things when she went to the store yesterday to put away. We did get and started raising chickens this year as a way to build some knowledge and skills about raising livestock. Been pretty slow getting started with this but at least we are making some progress now. Do any of you that have or raise livestock thought about or have ways that you prep for them? IE; Feed for the animals?

I've had the egg laying chicken discussion with my wife for going on a half dozen years now to no success. We're out on a couple acres too so it's particularly disheartening, but on the bright side I think she's starting to come around because she's really gotten into healthy/organic type foods and understanding that we don't know what we're buying at the store.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

You can store a limited amount, depending on your setup. I also do permaculture consultations to give people ideas on integrating what they have: for example, replacing some of your lawn with plants the chickens can eat. In the winter, you can sprout seeds for them. (you can also eat these sprouts yourself)
    If you aren't already giving them kitchen scraps, you can use that to supplement their food. Start a compost pile with anything the chickens don't eat. The chickens will then get in there and turn the compost looking for bugs, etc.

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    You can store a limited amount, depending on your setup. I also do permaculture consultations to give people ideas on integrating what they have: for example, replacing some of your lawn with plants the chickens can eat. In the winter, you can sprout seeds for them. (you can also eat these sprouts yourself)
    If you aren't already giving them kitchen scraps, you can use that to supplement their food. Start a compost pile with anything the chickens don't eat. The chickens will then get in there and turn the compost looking for bugs, etc.
    I have seen some things about growing sprouts for them and need to do more research on these matters as well. As far as the compost pile goes, I need to get some containment to my pile. They discovered our compost pile in the corner of the garden and proceeded to flatten it picking bugs out of it and spread it out. :ugh:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since last post, most activity has been based on taking moments to enjoy life while things are "still good". We took the kids to a baseball game Friday night. Saturday was kayaking in the morning and got my parents out there with the five of us which was a nice little family outing.

We took the kids to a bible study and the guys in that group and I have been talking about a hiking/camping trip so hopefully that turns into a good opportunity to get some guys outdoors and show them some fundamental things.

Taught a Precision Rifle 201 class at a 1,000 yard range. I capped the class to only 4 students and everyone got a lot of hands on experience throughout the day. Now there's more guys in my area that know how to use their rifle that much more effectively. Couldn't have been happier with how the class went.

I've done some rearranging in my precision rifle inventory. Sold a couple and bought one. So far I'm happy with it, but I honestly haven't shot it enough to give it my full review yet, but look forward to a savage 10 BA Stealth review posted on INGO some time soon with my thoughts. Otherwise, I've been picking up mags and ammo as the budget will allow. Getting my supplies in order before this next presidential election, since I lived through the last two and remember how those went for pro-gun/liberty people.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    -Picked up 500 rounds of rifle food.
    -Putting extra money away each month for a rainy day.
    -Kroger had baby formula 60% off, so we cleaned the shelf out. We have a 3 month old, so he'll definitely go through it before it expires or he outgrows it.
    -Like mentioned above, learning to enjoy the good times now instead always just preparing for the worst. There's a balance.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just ordered another 36 mags for the PTR-91...I can now put over 1200 rounds up for that rifle alone. I may forget how to reload them :):. Hmmmm, my AK is looking neglected now, it's a vicious cycle.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I have seen some things about growing sprouts for them and need to do more research on these matters as well. As far as the compost pile goes, I need to get some containment to my pile. They discovered our compost pile in the corner of the garden and proceeded to flatten it picking bugs out of it and spread it out. :ugh:

haha yes they will do that. If it's in a contained space, they do a good job of turning it for you. I mistakenly let them spread the compost so it wasn't worth scooping up again, but it was in the shade so I may use that area for growing mushrooms.

If you want your chickens to be good foragers, it helps to train them from a young age. Some chickens will eat things they are used to and turn their nose up at everything else. Our chickens have plenty of land to forage (we let them roam most days) but it's still challenging for a modern chicken to get enough food that way. If mine are going to be out, I don't feed them in the morning. This way they will forage for food more actively and explore more plants, etc. It also makes it easy to put them up if I want to get them in before sunset. I do always give them some food in the evening but in a SHTF scenario they could keep themselves alive in all but winter. If you want regular, large egg production though then feed them more heavily. Cutting back their food will slow egg production, but you will get the same number of eggs in a lifetime either way. In a SHTF, you could push their production near the end of season, butcher the older ones in the fall, and leave you less chicken mouths to feed for the winter. That is assuming you have a rooster so you can start reproduction again in the spring.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I stopped by and talked to one of the neighbors at the homeplace who have been having a tough time. They are new to the area (moved in 3-4 years ago, when I have known the other neighbors or their families for most if not all my life). When they first moved in, things die not go really well, but over the years, we have made an effort to get to know each other and now we help each other out and stop and chat as friends. I am pretty proud of that.

I think he was glad to have someone to talk to about what he is dealing with and I figure every time we help each other with something or just stop and chew the fat, we strengthen our community. A strong community is a pretty important prep.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I stopped by and talked to one of the neighbors at the homeplace who have been having a tough time. They are new to the area (moved in 3-4 years ago, when I have known the other neighbors or their families for most if not all my life). When they first moved in, things die not go really well, but over the years, we have made an effort to get to know each other and now we help each other out and stop and chat as friends. I am pretty proud of that.

I think he was glad to have someone to talk to about what he is dealing with and I figure every time we help each other with something or just stop and chew the fat, we strengthen our community. A strong community is a pretty important prep.

An underrated, but critically valuable prepping activity, sir!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Normally, I don't consider buying something to really be a prep. Things can be taken, lost, or gone for whatever reason so merely having "stuff" doesn't really impress me without having spent the time and used the stuff to have really worked with it. Having said that, one of the things I do buy every time I get a chance is every time Self Reliance Outfitters has a sale I buy at least one more of their 32 oz stainless containers that comes with a nest cup & lid. I also pick up a bottle hanger for it now. I have a family of 5, so the idea is everyone would have their own.

GEN3 Stainless Steel 32 oz. Bottle & Nesting Cup Set - Self Reliance Outfitters?

In addition to this, they may have been an order placed on PSA for mags & ammo.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    We put in a bid (which was accepted) on 16 acres with a couple barns and a house. If everything goes well we'll be out of Fishers by Thanksgiving

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Maybe this is out of line. Lets place it under the heading of 'Continuing Motivation to Prep'. If this doesn't scare the urine straight out of your kidneys and down your butt cheeks I don't know what would.

[video=youtube;plVk4NVIUh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plVk4NVIUh8[/video]

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've been doing some looking into things that I can use and or grow in my yard or garden that can be used as natural remedies. So I picked up 1lb each of Slippery Elm, Whole Cloves and Marshmallow root. I also got 11k seeds to start Marshmallow, Peppermint, and Chamomile.

The Cloves seem to work well as a headache remedy (just smell them) and the marshmallow root can be used as a tea or topical application...as well as being made into a beneficial version of the popular confection. It is about the right time of season to plant the seeds of the marshmallow plant too.

Unfortunately, Cloves will not grow outside the tropics but a pound will last a long time when you just smell them.

BuickGS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Winamac
    I picked up a electric # 10 can sealer last Sunday at a flea market. It needs a cord but I have many on hand. They are crazy expensive for a hand crank let alone a electric one like mine. Prob wint get to use it soon but it was small money and dosent eat anything and keeps the floor from moving.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom