• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    It wasn't the cost of the Berkey, it was the reviews and the reputation.

I found several positive reviews so I went ahead and submitted my order. I just hope to not end up in the bottom 10% along with the other negative reviews.

There are still a few concerning quality issues, but I guess I'll find out next week.

CKW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I just read through the last few pages. This Berky filter seems to be a good investment. Mouse mentioned it when we were on the subject the other night. Seemed prett expensive at that time. Maybe not.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    There's a much cheaper way for a static filter - two 5 gallon buckets with lids, a spigot, and a Doulton ceramic filter element with silver (they also come without silver). I'll get a pic when time permits.

Water filter replacement cartridges-ceramic candles for Doulton,British Berkefeld,Franke,Culligan,Katadyn,US Filter etc

I looked at some of the DIY constructions. It was tempting. The stacked stainless steel design of the Berkey appealed to me.

Expensive? A little. It was a lot less than the cost of a new gun. To some, I'm certain it is prohibitive in cost because it is "just a water filter". I'm trying to make Emergency preparedness part of my regular budget process. When I get some money saved up, instead of buying another gun, I invest somewhere else.

Sometimes I invest in my local conservation club.
    Sometimes I buy ammunition.
    Sometimes I buy reloading supplies.
    Sometimes I still buy a new gun. :)

Dmac22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    COLUMBUS
    I went through and checked all of the dates on my packaged/canned goods in my stash. All seems to be okay for now but will have to probably rotate out some next year.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Found space for more water. Now to fill it up.

The spouse (CKW) has been reading in here. she has some ideas that just might be better than a few of mine.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    There's a lot to be said for the ability to filter and produce potable water vs storing and maintaining large quantities.

If the Berkey can deliver even half of its promised 6000 gallon spec, there is no way a storage approach can top that.

It's like gardening vs canned goods.

Mine is supposed to arrive today. We'll see how it goes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's a lot to be said for the ability to filter and produce potable water vs storing and maintaining large quantities.

If the Berkey can deliver even half of its promised 6000 gallon spec, there is no way a storage approach can top that.

To some storage is a viable option. No running creeks close by that I would trust to drink from even through a Berky. Color me frustrated.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

At my current location I have a pond. Easy access to a lot of water. Heavy freezes could make that an issue. Thus the reason for the tote full of water. Only had it freeze one time, and then it wasn't solid.

I store potable and non-potable water in my basement as well. Mostly for faster uses. Years back we had well issues and both supplies came in handy.

Now I am getting ready to move. No more pond. Small creek on neighboring property but not always flowing. I put a tote in the mechanical room down in the basement. I will have 275 gallons of water to tap into should the need arise. Built the room around it so it stays when I go.

I will look into the Berkey. I see it as an easier way to get good water from stored water. I haven't delved too deeply into it because I have such a huge supply sitting idle. When things change because of the move I will need to re-structure my needs.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    To some storage is a viable option. No running creeks close by that I would trust to drink from even through a Berky. Color me frustrated.

I'm not putting down storage to you or dudley and I hope I'm not seen as bragging. We all have to do the best we can to the best of our abilities.

All of the sources around me are suspect with yard run-off (chemicals and poo). The ponds are also treated with algicide, the creek/ditch runs decently most the year but it has a lot of yards running into it. My first strategy is still going to be storage. Having more than 30 days of water has been a serious commitment for me. I'd love to put up a 55 gallon drum, space is the issue.

A 275 gallon tank would be awesome! I hope at my next (and most likely final) location I can put in a couple of 1500 gallon farm tanks for a cistern, but those are just pipe dreams for now.

I was considering a home-built distiller until this point. I might still build one as a fun project if I can source the materials cheap enough.

So, Berkey got some money out of me. Vigilant seemed pleased with his. I'll report back in on mine.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I will look into the Berkey. I see it as an easier way to get good water from stored water. I haven't delved too deeply into it because I have such a huge supply sitting idle. When things change because of the move I will need to re-structure my needs.

Berkey is a good way to handle questionable water, but I think you would also be pleased with the quality of water produced on a daily basis. Mine certainly tastes better out of the Berkey than directly from the tap.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Welp, the wife is finally on board in getting started prepping. Her sister and her boyfriend got quarantined last night for Corona. They tested negative. The wife is a huge worrier, this sent her over the edge. She now sees why being prepared is important. She was pleasantly surprised at my head start and the knowledge I was able to regurgitate from y'all over the years. Today we're are going to take stock and create a more organized plan.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Good. It really helps when the spouse is on board.

Set priorities, organize and remember that prepping isn't just about stuff. It also includes building knowledge, skills and community for mutual support.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Good. It really helps when the spouse is on board.

Set priorities, organize and remember that prepping isn't just about stuff. It also includes building knowledge, skills and community for mutual support.

:thumbsup: yea she just had a major wake up call. Nothing will change materially. Shes a city girl so, let the training begin.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's sad that it takes something like that to open eye, but honestly I don't know if I've ever seen anything else do the trick.

Top Bottom