• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Can you point me to a good site/article to give me a better understanding of the issues with cheap inverters?

Here is the basics.
    https://www.baintech.com.au/what-is-the-difference-between-a-pure-sine-and-modified-sine-inverter

Having a mix of both types, and using them on the correct loads, is the way to go.
    ( In my opinion )

To me, the next step in temporary (good) power is a small inverting generator such as a Champion 2000W or a Honda 2000W unit.
    They sip gas, are quiet, and put out clean power.

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Here is the basics.
    https://www.baintech.com.au/what-is-the-difference-between-a-pure-sine-and-modified-sine-inverter

Having a mix of both types, and using them on the correct loads, is the way to go.
    ( In my opinion )

To me, the next step in temporary (good) power is a small inverting generator such as a Champion 2000W or a Honda 2000W unit.
    They sip gas, are quiet, and put out clean power.

After all the reading and cost analysis. I went with the Honda EU2200i. Other than the inconvenience of fuel storage/rotation and occasional maintenance, I found it to be a much better option than the battery/inverter to start off with. Quiet, easy on the fuel usage with light loads.

Believe it or not, it was actually cheaper than a 3KW inverter and a couple 100+ Amp-hour batteries and a charger/tender. If I didn't buy a couple of panels to recharge the batteries, I figured I would be stuck needing a generator anyway...so that was the place to start.

Buy generator
    to recharge batteries
    for inverter
    Acquire solar panels
    to replace generator
    for charging batteries...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The chirp program you posted is the same I'm running. I did check out some of the links on the site you posted and it turns out the cable I'm use is a low quality knock off even though it does say Baofeng on it. I'm going to order a new cable and see what happens from there.

If you still have problems, the offer to assist still stands.

I see mention of programming the Baofeng radios up thread. Chances are good that the driver in windows will have to be rolled back for the cable to communicate with the radios.

Edit: Roll the driver back to 3.2.0.0.

Or just scrap the crap cable. Its only $20 for the bulletproof cable.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    OK, here's me asking about the Harbor freight version of the Honda? 600v$1000

First off, I like Harbor Freight equipment, especially what you get for the money. I also believe their quality has gone up considerably over the past 15 years. My brother and I have tortured a bunch of their equipment and been impressed with the results. The Predator chipper shredder has been a great investment.

I went with the Honda because:

It was my first and only intended primary source of power at the time and has stellar reviews. I wanted to know I was buying something good.
    Some Ham guys I know strongly endorsed it. If they trusted it with their gear...that said something to me. The inverter waveforms are really clean.
    I have personally had really good long-term performance from Honda equipment.
    I gave in to the buy-once cry-once.

That being said, my reloading stuff is Lyman and Lee, no Blue stuff to be seen. It's all about priority and where to invest.

Predator 62523 2000 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator has a lot of good reviews and it is under $500 delivered. I'd be very tempted by that if I were just starting off again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My views on total output.
    2000 watts will barely run a good saw. Aske me how I now.
    A decent sized refrigerator will eat a 2000 watt units out put especially on start up. Especially an older refrigerator. Couple that with possibly running your furnace if you are on propane or natural if supply is still up. The 2000 is out of juice.

We had a Honda run quite and it was all they say it is. Reliable electric start and clean power. We used it on the race car trailer to power up in the pits at the track.
    Ran the lights in the trailer, a pedestal fan and kept the batterys topped off in the cars. If I ran the trailer A/C that was all it would do. This is my personal experience with that unit. And the output was reduced if you ran it in quite mode.

We now have 2 8500 units and a smaller 2 cycle clean power genny for critical stuff. They are sized to pull the load we will require.

Figure up what your total needs are and step up accordingly.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    A decent sized refrigerator will eat a 2000 watt units out put especially on start up. Especially an older refrigerator. Couple that with possibly running your furnace if you are on propane or natural if supply is still up. The 2000 is out of juice.

We had a Honda run quite and it was all they say it is. Reliable electric start and clean power. We used it on the race car trailer to power up in the pits at the track.
    Ran the lights in the trailer, a pedestal fan and kept the batterys topped off in the cars. If I ran the trailer A/C that was all it would do. This is my personal experience with that unit. And the output was reduced if you ran it in quite mode.

We now have 2 8500 units and a smaller 2 cycle clean power genny for critical stuff. They are sized to pull the load we will require.

From what you have stated previously, it sounds like the CM compound can power a city block and a server farm!

:yesway::rockwoot::stickpoke:

ETA, In total agreement, 2KW is survival mode with no luxuries. Amenities are through rationing and management.

ETAA, Those amenities sure will look like luxuries if you're ever in a situation where you need a generator.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    From what you have stated previously, it sounds like the CM compound can power a city block and a server farm!

:yesway::rockwoot::stickpoke:

2 houses. 4 refrigerators and a deep freezer between them. Also light up the shop as needed.

We have ample reserves of fuel. Keep all the rigs over half tank with the ability to pull fuel from them if need be.
    We have stepped up in the genny area several times over the last 10 years. Every one of them bought from an Ingo member that was upgrading. We just now feel comfortable with what we have available.
    Cycle them under load spring and fall. Top the tanks and StaBil.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville

2000 watts peak means around 1700 watts continuous = 14 amps.
    Running a fridge should not be a problem.

If it is I break out the loud open frame Genny.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    2000 watts peak means around 1700 watts continuous = 14 amps.
    Running a fridge should not be a problem.

If it is I break out the loud open frame Genny.

I have run my fridge on my generator. Even in Eco mode it barely taxes it. I will go out on a limb and claim that most domestic refrigerators OR freezers (not both at the same time) will work just fine on a 2KW genny. Both might actually run at the same time just fine, it is the start-up currents that kill ya.

I had to play some tricks to do it, but I am currently set up to run my whole house off my little Honda if necessary. The only thing I won't have is AC or be able to run the dryer. Oh, the welder and plasma cutter will be down too.

Understanding what you have and its limitations is key (as already pointed out). If folks think they are just going to carry on with life as normal (as portrayed in the TV commercials) then they should just go ahead and get a Generac.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have run my fridge on my generator. Even in Eco mode it barely taxes it. I will go out on a limb and claim that most domestic refrigerators OR freezers (not both at the same time) will work just fine on a 2KW genny. Both might actually run at the same time just fine, it is the start-up currents that kill ya.

I had to play some tricks to do it, but I am currently set up to run my whole house off my little Honda if necessary. The only thing I won't have is AC or be able to run the dryer. Oh, the welder and plasma cutter will be down too.

Understanding what you have and its limitations is key (as already pointed out). If folks think they are just going to carry on with life as normal (as portrayed in the TV commercials) then they should just go ahead and get a Generac.

Ding ding ding...….:woot:....winner.

I would have to hide the hair dryer.....:):

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

I was planning on paralleling two Honda’s, but saw these Harbor Freight models for several hundred less, I know I’m sounding weird about looking at the cheaper models but they “seem” to perform similar? Also, what about plugging in a power conditioner/surge protector to the genny , and running your equipment through it?

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Also, what about plugging in a power conditioner/surge protector to the genny , and running your equipment through it?
    Most surge suppressors are just that.
    They place a M.O.V. across the hot and ground lines, high voltage spikes go to ground.
    They will not clean up dirty power.

Personally, I do not like the Harbor Freight gensets due to lack of parts availability.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Had a couple pages of exciting reading to get caught up on, here's a couple thoughts:

Water, I do this in layers:
    1.) Basecamp - Bug in, staying home and helping neighbors. Berkey is the king here, period.
    2.) Mobile Basecamp - On the move, with temporary shelters with lots of people to get watered up, Katadyn base camp gravity fed.
    3.) Mobile and moving - small family sized group needing to fill bottles while backpacking, katadyn hiker pro.
    4.) Individual moving - Get home bag, or backpacking a sawyer mini/squeeze or similar.

I have the filters above and would also note the same katadyn filters work in both the basecamp, and hiker models of filters. I like the redundacy and what they both bring to the party. In my area, finding water is a non issue.

I didn't mention anything about a stainless container for boiling, but that's more of a given. I'll just say every member of my family has one of these kits and I swear by them. https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters....ottle-and-nesting-cup-set?variant=24815077057 The second water bottle a person carry's can be as ultralight as they want, but each person will at least have one stainless bottle.

Generators:
    I think you get what you pay for. Harbor Freight has their $100 ish 800w running generator and it's a better than nothing option that's actually not all that bad. It's cheap enough a lot of people buy one just to tinker and hot rod it. There's lots of articles written by guys swapping spark plugs and making little tweaks to get it humming that much better. I didn't do much with mine other than run it every once in a while. Generac is the brand of all brands for generators and we have a portable gas powered 8000w running unit that powers my entire house and everything in it. I would just make sure you buy the commercial version of whatever you're thinking about just because they tend to be built stronger.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    So, Berkey or not to Berkey? The mixed reviews have me concerned but it is time and I have money available for the next step/upgrade.

Water storage is good, but prolonged provision is short (beyond 30 days). There is a ditch/creek nearby. I have eye-balled it many times with a Berkey in mind.

I planned on ordering an extra set of filters when I put in the order and considered the stainless spigot, but...

There is a bundle sale on right now: https://www.berkeyfilters.com/products/big-berkey-stainless-bundle-sale-cups

What about getting the primer?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think of a Berkey like any other investment and ask what's it worth to you. If we were a week into an event without running water and you were looking back in hindsight how much would you care about the cost of the berkey compared to some of the other silly things people spend their money on.

You can make a solid case for the stainless spigot. I don't remember seeing that as an option when I bought mine years ago. Speaking of buying mine years ago, I bet I could sell it in a heartbeat if I needed to turn it into cash too. That's part of how I justify having one. They are always in demand.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So, Berkey or not to Berkey? The mixed reviews have me concerned but it is time and I have money available for the next step/upgrade.

Water storage is good, but prolonged provision is short (beyond 30 days). There is a ditch/creek nearby. I have eye-balled it many times with a Berkey in mind.

I planned on ordering an extra set of filters when I put in the order and considered the stainless spigot, but...

There is a bundle sale on right now: https://www.berkeyfilters.com/products/big-berkey-stainless-bundle-sale-cups

What about getting the primer?
    I recommend the Berkey wholeheartedly, if not for preps, for just good tasting daily drinking. As I’ve said, I have two Big Berkey’s and a set of spare filters for each. One is unused packed for camping/preps along with all the spare filters, and the other is used daily for drinking, cooking, and coffee water. Wouldn’t change a thing. And yes, you can recoup almost all your money on the secondary market if it isn’t for you.

Top Bottom