• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    It's sad that it takes something like that to open eye, but honestly I don't know if I've ever seen anything else do the trick.

Understandable. Education, our government and the culture do not encourage preparedness for the most part.

Everyone is at different stages on the journey to preparedness. Too many are entirely clueless. Others may just have dim concerns about one possible problem on the horizon. The most likely disasters are personal and/or small scale- unemployment, medical problems, a personal disaster such as theft, fire, bankruptcy, etc. Larger disasters: area, regional, national and international can have wider impact, but the preps are often the same or at least overlap.

When you see someone express an interest in learning more about how to protect themselves and their family, encourage them and point them to information so that they can help themselves. Every prepared person/family is more resilient in tough times and likely one less that will overwhelm government assets if major disasters happen.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Understandable. Education, our government and the culture do not encourage preparedness for the most part.

Everyone is at different stages on the journey to preparedness. Too many are entirely clueless. Others may just have dim concerns about one possible problem on the horizon. The most likely disasters are personal and/or small scale- unemployment, medical problems, a personal disaster such as theft, fire, bankruptcy, etc. Larger disasters: area, regional, national and international can have wider impact, but the preps are often the same or at least overlap.

When you see someone express an interest in learning more about how to protect themselves and their family, encourage them and point them to information so that they can help themselves. Every prepared person/family is more resilient in tough times and likely one less that will overwhelm government assets if major disasters happen.

+1 Truth here.

Hanging out on this site and down here in this sub-forum with other like-minded folks has inspired me immensely.

The only .GOV disaster prep I ever recall seeing has been mostly SoCal earthquake prep and the brief Anthrax scares that coincided with suggestions to be ready to visqueen and duct tape your house closed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's sad that it takes something like that to open eye, but honestly I don't know if I've ever seen anything else do the trick.

In years past we tried to get both sides (Hers/mine) on board with at least minimal prep. Even a week in supply's on hand and self defense ability's. Total fail.
    New cell phones and TV's were more important. We hosted Christmas here years ago for my people and the topic came up in conversation. They all wanted to know if I was still doing he prepper thing. We said yes. The attitude was great, w know where to come when things get crazy. CKW not being one to mix words just looked at everyone and said it would not be wise to show up with just a cell phone in hand. Bring something. Food/defense/ability's. If not you will not like the reception. We prep for us, not you.
    The topic never came up again.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Our usual response:
    "Bring skills and/or supplies. We don't carry dead weight."

One water source that rarely comes up is existing wells. These are likely to be still good if surface water is contaminated, at least for a while, depending on the contamination. No electric pump? Not too much of a problem. For an anticipated long-term outage, pull the pump and use a PVC pump bucket. Along with a sturdy tripod over the well and a pulley you can get a lot of clean water up quickly. Made one in about an hour with stuff laying around and internet plans. Know your well casing size and use smaller PVC pipe.

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Sounds exactly like one of Aesop's fables: The Grasshopper and the Ants

If you aren't aware of it, ready.gov actually has some good information.

There's probably a reason that there is a a very similar parable in the Bible about ants and grasshoppers. The more things change...

Thanks for the link, I have forwarded it to a young co-worker of mine that has just started this journey.

I didn't see any guidelines for a zombie apocalypse though. :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Our usual response:
    "Bring skills and/or supplies. We don't carry dead weight."

One water source that rarely comes up is existing wells. These are likely to be still good if surface water is contaminated, at least for a while, depending on the contamination. No electric pump? Not too much of a problem. For an anticipated long-term outage, pull the pump and use a PVC pump bucket. Along with a sturdy tripod over the well and a pulley you can get a lot of clean water up quickly. Made one in about an hour with stuff laying around and internet plans. Know your well casing size and use smaller PVC pipe.

Having mentioned this ability in the past to lift fuel from in-ground tanks and started a ruckus I am not sure but here we go...…..:):

Diaphragm pumps. Either manual or powered have serious lift capability's and yes we have 2 of these. 1 is Pneumatic driven and has a lot of ability to be speed controlled. The other is electric and is just balls out once you lite it up. You can move a lot of liquid in a short time.

I used these to remove refrigerant form large chillers. R-11/123 will stay in liquid state at or near room temps and can be moved easily with a pump rated for that work. Fuel or water is a breeze.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    We hosted Christmas here years ago for my people and the topic came up in conversation. They all wanted to know if I was still doing he prepper thing. We said yes. The attitude was great, w know where to come when things get crazy.

I have gone one step farther. People laugh and say they will come to me because of my stores. I tell them not to waste their time. If they had the opportunity to prep and didn't take it that is on them, not me.

In a large scale event I will gladly turn every single person away that didn't do a damned thing before hand. I don't care if they show up with food, guns, etc. I have those. Just because you have a case of MREs and a pistol doesn't mean you get to enter.

My immediate family (even tho the kids don't prep much), my father and my mother-in-law. He preps but most of it is from me as I use his house as a cache. She has some food stuff stored back but can't afford to stockpile like she used to.

That reminds me. I need to take some items over my oldest's new place.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have gone one step farther. People laugh and say they will come to me because of my stores. I tell them not to waste their time. If they had the opportunity to prep and didn't take it that is on them, not me.

In a large scale event I will gladly turn every single person away that didn't do a damned thing before hand. I don't care if they show up with food, guns, etc. I have those. Just because you have a case of MREs and a pistol doesn't mean you get to enter.

My immediate family (even tho the kids don't prep much), my father and my mother-in-law. He preps but most of it is from me as I use his house as a cache. She has some food stuff stored back but can't afford to stockpile like she used to.

That reminds me. I need to take some items over my oldest's new place.

My weakness would be the kids. We worry over the little ones as they are innocent even to their parents lack of being responsible.

This would be my Achilles heal.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    My weakness would be the kids. We worry over the little ones as they are innocent even to their parents lack of being responsible.

Yea, but the decision would be between other kids, or taking care of your little terrorists for that much longer. I know I'm not saying anything you don't know. But that's my mindset. It's like the kids in afghan. Give them a water bottle or some candy but keep your mres.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I dug into my preps this past week. My boy was home for a couple days, and wanted Shepherd's Pie. Didn't have any peas-n-carrots, and didn't feel like going to the store. Down to the basement I go, back of the shelf, old cans marked 2014. Shepherd's pie was amazing, and the youngster got a lesson in being prepared for when things go wrong.

(or when you get lazy, or when it's the week before payday)

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

Your kids, or just kids in general? Your grandkids next door are obviously in. I am talking about people you know.

I have opened up and discussed with a few people. I find that the vast majority are full of crap. One neighbor said he would come over and bring all his guns. Now he has a pretty extensive collection. I am sure he has a few rounds for each weapon. BUT... I set him up with water storage of which he never started. I talked to him about food preps, which he never did. I invited him to a few classes I attended for first aid, basic firearms, defensive handguns, carbine classes and more. Always too busy or already knew enough on the subject.

One of his kids was in the same grade as one of mine. Good kid. Glad nothing happened while they were young. Would have torn my heart to know she was suffering because her father was too busy or a know it all.

I have fought with this a lot. Although I would get a good "I told you so" in, in a big disaster type scenario I just couldn't justify bringing them in. My leeches are enough.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Your kids, or just kids in general? Your grandkids next door are obviously in. I am talking about people you know.

I have opened up and discussed with a few people. I find that the vast majority are full of crap. One neighbor said he would come over and bring all his guns. Now he has a pretty extensive collection. I am sure he has a few rounds for each weapon. BUT... I set him up with water storage of which he never started. I talked to him about food preps, which he never did. I invited him to a few classes I attended for first aid, basic firearms, defensive handguns, carbine classes and more. Always too busy or already knew enough on the subject.

One of his kids was in the same grade as one of mine. Good kid. Glad nothing happened while they were young. Would have torn my heart to know she was suffering because her father was too busy or a know it all.

I have fought with this a lot. Although I would get a good "I told you so" in, in a big disaster type scenario I just couldn't justify bringing them in. My leeches are enough.

Kids in general. Our kids know they are safe with us. It would be the local kids they play with in the back yard regularly and I know them by name. That is where my heart would be torn. But like already stated ours are 1st. Last. Always.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Came home to an extra 5 cases of water, 22 p95 masks, lots basic food stuffs, dozen cheap flashlights, several large packs of various batteries, basic med supplies, extra toiletries.
    Yea the wife did what I've been doing slowly over time as to not effect our finances, in an afternoon.
    Idk if I should be proud or upset. Regardless, I'd say our 72 hour goal is met, maybe close to a week.

I think it's time to start focusing on longer term, self sustaining preps.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Came home to an extra 5 cases of water, 22 p95 masks, lots basic food stuffs, dozen cheap flashlights, several large packs of various batteries, basic med supplies, extra toiletries.
    Yea the wife did what I've been doing slowly over time as to not effect our finances, in an afternoon.
    Idk if I should be proud or upset. Regardless, I'd say our 72 hour goal is met, maybe close to a week.

I think it's time to start focusing on longer term, self sustaining preps.

72 hours is a couple of bug out totes to support 2 adults and 2 kids.
    We are a 3 tote 72 hour bug out as there would be 4 adults and 3 young kids. With stern rationing 80+ hours is possible.

We are looking at the shelf life of the juice packets from Koolaide and other brands. Having something with flavor for the kids would break up the monotony.
    Also looking at breakfast bars and shelf life. Poptarts etc.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Idk if I should be proud or upset.

Just my opinion, I'd be proud of that lady.

Not a lot of women I know would take such initiative or understand.

Any of my friends that are married with wives that have shown interest in emergency preparedness I have encouraged (just like now).

GO MAN, GO!

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Yup. Be proud. There is time for her to learn the best ways to prep, but she clearly is on board.

Top Bottom