• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Well, after 10 or so years of suggesting to my wife and sometimes just doing it even when she didn't agree. She now sees what I was attempting to do. Lucky for me she is all in now, unlucky for me she is all in now. I have attempted to tell her now isn't the time to be doing the prepping we should've been doing for a decade. Better late than never I guess. We have been looking for alternative means for pumping water and powering the septic pump. Luckily we were ok food wise and a few other areas. All told in the last 2 weeks we've probably spent a couple grand playing catch up on stuff.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Well if you buy buckets, i would stay clear of the Food safe ones from Menards, most of the ones I have bought from there and but the gamma lids on the bottom has split. I'm not sure if there is a better source but I'm not impressed with that brand thus far. I don't recall the brand but I think they were made in Titusville, Ohio or some such.

I was told Firehouse subs sell their buckets and list (a set) for $1. This goes as a donation to a first responder support org.

Right now, I am looking 12 months out. I will worry about longer when I get the next 36 months figured out. Eventually stuff will get into buckets. Or something. If I don’t have s boating accident or eat it all.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well if you buy buckets, i would stay clear of the Food safe ones from Menards, most of the ones I have bought from there and but the gamma lids on the bottom has split. I'm not sure if there is a better source but I'm not impressed with that brand thus far. I don't recall the brand but I think they were made in New Waterford, Ohio.

Here is the bucket I am speaking of

Steer clear of ANYTHING from Menards (that isnt a trusted brand) if you want quality. Their lumber is top notch, but they tend to push the cheapest of the cheap crap in the store itself. Their house brand I equate to Kmart. (below Walmart)

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    If you want more details on packing in buckets, you can start/find a new thread, but I'll answer your direct question.

One of the more common dry food storage methods is to pack food in mylar (which is very good at protecting from air penetration) inside plastic buckets (for stacking, organizing, physical protection and secondary air protection). Oxygen absorbers are put in the individual bag(s) and/or the bucket to pull out as much O[SUB]2[/SUB] out as possible and minimize oxidation damage. If you use boxes, you will lose the physical protection from rodents mostly and you will also lose the second layer protection against air penetration if the bag has a leak. A plastic bin would offer the physical protection, but not the same air seal. It might work, but those options are more risky than buckets.

Personally, I feel it is worth the extra effort/expense to use a bucket. The extra physical protection plus the second layer of air penetration protection (it isn't as good as mylar, but is pretty good) is important. If you have to open the bucket some years down the line because you really need it, it would be crushing to find ruined food.

Don’t know if this should go in a separate thread. If so, mods pls let me know.

Is it bad to store the stuff put in Mylar bags in cardboard boxes? I went that way as we own the boxes and they fit in the space I have. They won’t be jostled around and are in the house, so no rodents to get at them.

Steer clear of ANYTHING from Menards (that isnt a trusted brand) if you want quality. Their lumber is top notch, but they tend to push the cheapest of the cheap crap in the store itself. Their house brand I equate to Kmart. (below Walmart)

I don't necesasarily buy into your theroy, firstly that bucket isn't mastercraft brand.

Secondly I own a brad nailer that is the bottom of the barrel Menards brand and haven't ever had an issue with it in the 5 years I've owned it (it cost $15). I own some of their Mastercraft stuff too and have no issue with it.

Lastly if you think Menards has quality lumber you need to stop comparing it to the sticks in your yard. Lowe's, then HD for most lumber products in that order (I only buy trim from HD though).

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Built me a bug out bluetooth boom box.

90979982_2531576560424155_1276998776166285312_o.jpg

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Well, I overdid it. I calculated our needs for some unique flour that we use for our bread. I managed to get it last night. Woke up this am realizing that I should have divided the totals in half, as we only eat 1 loaf a week (2 get made at a time).

Really can’t return the extra so others can use it. But will pack it so it will not go bad.

Wife told me to stop stocking last night. This was my last real worry except for fresh stuff.

Just feeling bad for over buying.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Prep for today. Teach my sister the benefits of prepping by delivering six rolls of toilet paper.

Maybe now she won't roll her eyes at her crazy brother.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Prep for today. Teach my sister the benefits of prepping by delivering six rolls of toilet paper.

Maybe now she won't roll her eyes at her crazy brother.

Should have waited until she had to use an alternative TP substitute. Then she would see the benefits even clearer.

Waiting to see what happens with my sister and her husband on this. She goes to the store about five times a week. Just to get out I think. Doesn't stock anything but wine and last I knew it was all gone.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Native species milkweed garden project has begun. Kid should enjoy all the Monarchs later. Most will flower and attractive pollinators. Behind the woods last year, we planted native flowers for the same purpose.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I love the smell of milkweed flowers for some reason. I have a few I let be in my yard. Plan to take them with us when we move. I take the seed pods off before they pop and dispose of them. Maybe this year I will keep them in storage instead.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Canned 100#s of beef, My son came over and we had a true discussion on prepping, he is now seeing first hand why i have always kept lots of food items, and water and necessities on hand. The wife and i are going to go to there house and show them how they can get started, how to store, and this summer will teach them how to dehydrate, can , freeze items from garden. He has tried our canned meats and now wants to get involved in that also, Makes you kind of proud when they start seeing you for a positive roll model!!!!

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Hardly a big thing, but I have a little Ryobi cordless 120V inverter, and 5 batteries (in a charger that will handle 6 at a time) and it occurred to me that it had been awhile since I checked the condition of the batteries, so I plugged the charger in.

Easily 2 days of internet and laptop running secured!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Over the weekend,
    1.) Had a comms test with friendly's that ultimately failed, but now I know what needs to be corrected so it's an improvement and step forward.
    2.) Rented a tractor and did some work around where water lays on the land to make it more "wildlife friendly". It's not a steep bank now it's a gentle slope. We'll put some tadpoles, turtles, and some kind of ornamental fish in there for the kids. If bigger critters show up it just happens to be right at 100 yards from the back patio so that nice.
    3.) Inspected fruit trees that I've been planting for years. Many of them had some amazing growth over the last year and I am excited to see what comes during this years crop.
    4.) Used the grader box on the tractor to break up some ground that I intend to put an additional garden on this year. I will focus on melon types like watermelon, cantaloupe, among other veggies. Step 1 was breaking up the ground, step 2 will be bringing in some truckloads of good garden soil, step 3 will be covering the area with plastic to kill off any weeds until it's time to plant the starts. I'll do something fairly organized there.
    5.) Had some fun with the kids getting some seeds started.
    6.) Popped a groundhog with a 22lr at distance. He had it coming.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Refreshing my fresh protein production system.

nq2jWwT.jpg

I got the opportunity to assist with mine last week. Neighbor was gone for the week, asked me to feed his birds and let them in and out daily.

I say mine because I eat a lot of these bird's eggs.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Hung trail cameras today around a neighbors house. He had a attempted break in last night. Someone picked up a cinder block and tried to throw it through a double glass door. Luckily its a commercial door. I put 4 cameras up on his house and added 4 more to mine.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    With all the hoarding, I've turned back to water. My well is still full. I need to get out and restock my rain barrel to get a jump on things. Jugs of water will be on te rise moving forward as we now are more established

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hung trail cameras today around a neighbors house. He had a attempted break in last night. Someone picked up a cinder block and tried to throw it through a double glass door. Luckily its a commercial door. I put 4 cameras up on his house and added 4 more to mine.

Look into an actual security system. One where if they find the camera they cant steal it and take the evidence with them.

But not faulting you for the quick and dirty solution. Thats a great short term fix.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom