• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We need to see this through their eyes. This is shaping who they are. Who they may well become. Putty to be formed.

Yes. Lots of tears too. Especially when discussing the remote chance of our beloved annual vacation to Canada might not happen. And my little dancer was crushed when we said they more likely than not will NOT perform in the old folks home like they always do.

But I think they finally understand that this is mostly panic and not real for most people.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    We need to see this through their eyes. This is shaping who they are. Who they may well become. Putty to be formed.

Yes. Our 5 year old is feeling the stress. We are prepared. My stress went WAAAAAY down when the schools closed. I knew I needed to get the family away from those germ factories while this came through -- but I could not figure out how to really do it. As I was figuring that out, the powers to be did it for me. I got permission from the wife to stop going to work when I feel that is too unsafe. I will evaluate minute by minute.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    A couple days ago the wife and I hit the stores for some holes in the food inventory. Canned fruit was at the top of my list. While we have loaves of bread (a few in the deep freeze), she picked up bread flour and yeast as a back up. For those interested, the recipe is on the back of the package.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Daughter and I are going out among them with a solid list we intend to fill. If it takes 4 stores to do it. Nothing huge just some holes in the pantry that need filled and more Gluton food for the 13 year old.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    20lb bag of pinto beans. New seal for the pressure canner just in case. Extra lids and rings as well. Going out tomorrow to get some seed packs. Gonna make a 3gal pot of chili and can it on friday. Pulled out the sawyer filter i almost forgot i had (extra) and made sure it was fit for duty. So far, that is all outside the norm.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    A couple days ago the wife and I hit the stores for some holes in the food inventory. Canned fruit was at the top of my list. While we have loaves of bread (a few in the deep freeze), she picked up bread flour and yeast as a back up. For those interested, the recipe is on the back of the package.

He he, behind the curve. I bought 15 pounds of bread flour and 2 bottles of yeast 3 weeks ago, plus I have a 4 year old 3 pound & 33 year old (still works) 1.5 pound bread machine. Easy as pouring in the proper temperature water, add the flour, make a little dip in the top of the flour, drop in the yeast, close the door, hit a button and 3 hours later I got a house that has the smell of fresh baked bread.

Growing up my mom used to freeze bread, because she would buy them on sale. I hated that.

I cherish freezer space for frozen meats and microwave meals. Bread eats up a lot of space.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Daughter is looking at a vacuum sealer.

Whats good in these.

Food Saver, I researched them well back when Mrs. IBM was alive, she didn't want to buy one, so it never happened. Wish I would have just went and bought one. It can be used for more than food, they make a decent amount of different size bags, plus you can buy a roll and make a custom size length. You can also get a vacuum attachment for canning jars.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Food Saver, I researched them well back when Mrs. IBM was alive, she didn't want to buy one, so it never happened. Wish I would have just went and bought one. It can be used for more than food, they make a decent amount of different size bags, plus you can buy a roll and make a custom size length. You can also get a vacuum attachment for canning jars.
    I 2nd the foodsaver. Buy the rolls. Way cheaper than precut bags. If one decides to bag sweet corn or sugary foods, keep the rubber seal clean. I've seen one get sticky and seperate from the unit putting up corn.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks guys.

My daughter has been OK with out prepping as she realizes it will be to her benefit and has done a moderate amount on her own. Space being what limits her.
    This pandemic (?) has opened her eyes. She is very much on board now and I am sure will be in the future as well. The vacuum saver was her idea.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks guys.

My daughter has been OK with out prepping as she realizes it will be to her benefit and has done a moderate amount on her own. Space being what limits her.
    This pandemic (?) has opened her eyes. She is very much on board now and I am sure will be in the future as well. The vacuum saver was her idea.

Watch food savers website. They are running specials all the time. Don’t overthink it. Get a middle level one to start. Then you will know if you need something else.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Don’t know if this should go in a separate thread. If so, mods pls let me know.

Is it bad to store the stuff put in Mylar bags in cardboard boxes? I went that way as we own the boxes and they fit in the space I have. They won’t be jostled around and are in the house, so no rodents to get at them.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

We have the Foodsaver and buy the rolls. Helps save on space to as it compresses. I used it on a guys trip with my clothes and it made packing super easy

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

Is it bad to store the stuff put in Mylar bags in cardboard boxes? I went that way as we own the boxes and they fit in the space I have. They won’t be jostled around and are in the house, so no rodents to get at them.

If you want more details on packing in buckets, you can start/find a new thread, but I'll answer your direct question.

One of the more common dry food storage methods is to pack food in mylar (which is very good at protecting from air penetration) inside plastic buckets (for stacking, organizing, physical protection and secondary air protection). Oxygen absorbers are put in the individual bag(s) and/or the bucket to pull out as much O[SUB]2[/SUB] out as possible and minimize oxidation damage. If you use boxes, you will lose the physical protection from rodents mostly and you will also lose the second layer protection against air penetration if the bag has a leak. A plastic bin would offer the physical protection, but not the same air seal. It might work, but those options are more risky than buckets.

Personally, I feel it is worth the extra effort/expense to use a bucket. The extra physical protection plus the second layer of air penetration protection (it isn't as good as mylar, but is pretty good) is important. If you have to open the bucket some years down the line because you really need it, it would be crushing to find ruined food.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Yes we wanted it because it was allowed to happen. I see your argument. It has merit. But just like the idiocy we face from the hill......who keeps these thieves and liar's in office......We do.

Rest my case.

Late to the party, but I had to repost this. Its almost lube no one wants to take responsibility and just blame the other party. They're all equally worthless, and we're there ones that keeping giving them a job.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    If you want more details on packing in buckets, you can start/find a new thread, but I'll answer your direct question.

One of the more common dry food storage methods is to pack food in mylar (which is very good at protecting from air penetration) inside plastic buckets (for stacking, organizing, physical protection and secondary air protection). Oxygen absorbers are put in the individual bag(s) and/or the bucket to pull out as much O[SUB]2[/SUB] out as possible and minimize oxidation damage. If you use boxes, you will lose the physical protection from rodents mostly and you will also lose the second layer protection against air penetration if the bag has a leak. A plastic bin would offer the physical protection, but not the same air seal. It might work, but those options are more risky than buckets.

Personally, I feel it is worth the extra effort/expense to use a bucket. The extra physical protection plus the second layer of air penetration protection (it isn't as good as mylar, but is pretty good) is important. If you have to open the bucket some years down the line because you really need it, it would be crushing to find ruined food.

Thankyou. I vacuum sealed and put O2 absorbers in. For now, I will keep w the status quo. For longer term I will move to buckets. The main reason for the delay? I don’t want to put more stress into my life. Got enough now. But I see the boxes often enough this won’t get ignored.

Thanks again.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    On the foodsavers, I buy the refurbs. New they seem overpriced? Refurbs also makes it cheap enough to have a backup on hand. Pretty handy in the middle of harvest season.

I have never run two at the same time, but I could see doing it, especially if two folks were working a big job. The backup is certainly good piece of mind. One of my units has quit sealing for no apparent reason.

Yes, the rolls of bags are the economical way to go.

I bought both sizes of jar sealers also. Very handy for dehydrated food storage.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a "seal-a-meal" and it works ok. I buy the individual bags and the roll.

Regarding food in a mylar bag with an O2 absorber I think it's a solid way to go. The foundation of my preparations are from beprepared.com and what they call a "superpail". Yeah I could have saved a few bucks and done it myself. For the 30yr insurance policy that this food is intended for I wanted to know it was all done correctly by someone who's done more of it in a day then I ever will in a lifetime. I think it's the most economical way to prepare ahead of time with nutritious food that doesn't need cycled out yearly.

I got my garden seeds for this year and got a few extra packs while I was at it. With all the kids sports activities that normally take our time away from gardening this year it will become a focus since all the sports are cancelled. We live on a few acres, and I've been talking with my wife about renting a tractor with a grader box, and get some dump trucks of garden soil to put in an even bigger bed out in the backyard. It may be overkill, but I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. My intent is to make sure nobody starves if it can be prevented.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Daughter is looking at a vacuum sealer.

Whats good in these.

I'v had the one that Sam's usually carries for 25+ yrs. Replacement teflon tape and heating elements are available , still, on the internet. Cabelas also carries some heavy duty units. Buy extra bag material when you get it. You can use it for a lot of prep-able stuff.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County

Well if you buy buckets, i would stay clear of the Food safe ones from Menards, most of the ones I have bought from there and but the gamma lids on the bottom has split. I'm not sure if there is a better source but I'm not impressed with that brand thus far. I don't recall the brand but I think they were made in New Waterford, Ohio.

Here is the bucket I am speaking of

Last edited:
    Top Bottom