• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    im 26 and absolutly love owning and shooting guns. i currently own 7 long firearms, 2 muzzleloaders, and 2 pellet guns. no pistols though. from what i see in my home town most of my generation is in and out of jail, and dont have a pot to **** in, let alone have a hobbylike guns or hunting.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Now that I think of it, I don't know any young people around here that enjoy guns. I know a few that own guns but they were hand-me-downs from dad or grandpa and will probably never be shot again and just gathering dust in a closet or basement. I have college students that work for me every summer and I can tell you, if you mention guns of any kind you get some pretty crazy stares and usually end up getting called "redneck". The local Quail Unlimited, Pheasants Forever and Turkey Federation organizations around here are mostly comprized of members in their 40's thru '70's.

Which is a good reason to take your kids out and introduce them to firearms,hunting or even fishing. if ya dont have kids borrow the neighbors:): its only gonna get worse if we dont start holding some hands!

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    Orginally Posted By RelicHound
    Which is a good reason to take your kids out and introduce them to firearms,hunting or even fishing. if ya dont have kids borrow the neighbors:): its only gonna get worse if we dont start holding some hands!

I'm proof this works :D!!!! My Neighbor took me fishing all the time when I was younger, hell I'm 23 now and he still lets me know when he's fishing a tournament and 99% of the time I'll cancel all other plans to participate in that. I've also done my part and introduced one person to shooting this year. He bought his first shotgun (Mossberg 500) at the last 1500. My next project is getting my mom out to the range :faint:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Im 24 and a good amount of my friends are into guns. even the ones I didnt first expect to be. Now that im in dental school there are even more of guys that are into shooting or want to get into it. But people definitely dont grow up around guns like they used to.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I grew up in Brownsburg in the early sixties and most of my peers owned and shot firearms. We had firearms in our vehicles parked on the school parking lot. We went hunting after school and we had all of our gear in our cars or trucks. I even took a rifle into a classroom for a business sales class. It was no big deal. Now a swat team would surround your vehicle and you would be arrested. Back then firearms were like a tool. Everyone I associated with owned and used firearms.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I am 23 and have noticed that my generation is not into firearms. Not one of my friends shoot or have any interest at all.

most people I see at shows and local shops are 30+ and I am the youngest by far all the times. I was just wondering if there are any young shooters like myself on here. Second, would any of you want to get together on weekends every now and then and go shooting.

P.S. It's sad to see that my generation has such a strong opposition to firearms. its seems that the libs have gotten to them, and have painted an image that firearms are a terrible thing.

I think a big part of the problem may be urbanization. When I was younger I lived in a rural area and could go out in the back yard and plink away with whatever firearm was at hand. Now that I am older than dinosaur dung and live in the big city the opportunity to go shooting is more restricted due to the limited number of places available to go shooting.:rolleyes:

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I am 26 and was lucky enough to grow up in a family that owned guns and hunted. So I have been a gun guy since I was knee high. I have to say that the majority of my friends are pro gun but only 3-4 actually own any. I also work in the IT field (Sys. Admin) and have only met 1 anti-gunner (and he is a rabid one at that). You can also put me in the category of high school athlete (baseball / hockey) that was a closet geek. Practice till 7 and then home for EQ till i passed out :)

I also think a lot of the younger guys i know that are into guns, are because we all lived in the boondocks and had places to shoot. As was stated earlier in this thread people who grew up in the city had less opportunities (read: they couldn't go out to the back yard and crack off a brick of .22) to shoot so generally gravitated to other things to occupy their time.

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I'm 22, and all my friends know i'm into guns, and respect that. However, there are a few people i know who consider me uber-paranoid and psychotic because i own what i do, and am ready to defend myself and those i love at the drop of a hat.

I understand your problem, OP, i'm in the same boat.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    i'm in the same boat.

We have a boat? :rockwoot:

Is it this one?

ship_battleship_iowa_front_firing_lg.jpg

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I think our generation was ruined by technology.
    Most people are age are too wrapped up in Video games, phones, texting ect. No one wants to do anything that takes any amount of effort.
    I also semi-blame the previous generation for not passing the torch (so to speak).

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I think our generation was ruined by technology.

That too. There are other expensive toys to consume one's disposable income and time nowadays. Only so much of each available.

We used to spend our money on things that lasted.
    We used to actually DO things (hunt, fish, our chemistry sets had REAL chemicals in them, etc.)

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Im 21. Im a Criminology and Criminal justice major at Indiana State. Most of my friends back home are into guns, and hardly any of them at school are. I thinks its almost the "City boy vs. Country boy" type thing. When you have land, and are around hunting and guns, its second nature. City kids have seen guns on tv and video games, so when they are around actual guns, it surreal and shocking to them. They've built them up on a pedistal, and it shocks them that people actually shoot, collect, and carry guns. It may be just me, but I feel like gun loving young folks are in the minority.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The best thing you can do if you have friends who have never shot a gun before, is to take them shooting!!

People are afraid of things that they do not understand. Nothing changes people's minds like actually experiencing something for themselves. Like people said, be responsible about it and take it easy on them. Don't hand them your biggest gun just so you can laugh at them when it hurts their shoulder.

Teach them! I don't know anyone who is knowledgeable about firearms and also hates them.

:ingo:

BTW, I am 26, and have noticed the Leftist nature of our generation. This has been caused due to a storm that has been brewing for a couple generations now. The liberalization of America has been in the works for years, and its purpose is to make us willfully give up our individual rights.

If you slowly teach a society to be dependent on the Government, you can eventually take away their ability and willingness to be self-sufficient. Social security, welfare, medicare, Affirmative Action, etc, have all taught people that it is okay to look to the Government for your fair share. Society has seen a decrease in independent nature over the past few decades. Once you accept that Government is your friend and your provider, you can accept that they know what is best for you and that the police will protect you. This contributes to people not feeling the need for guns.

If you slowly whitewash history regarding America's founding, you begin to see a generation who doesn't understand and appreciate the reasons we must own guns and why we must defend our rights. This is why public schools have been slowly de-emphasizing the the Constitution and the American Revolution. This contributes to society not understanding the history of why we own guns.

If you teach people to be afraid of guns, they will begin to work at destroying gun-culture instead of respecting it. With the help of Hollywood anti-gun attitudes, a constant focus on scary gun-crime from the media, and a public school system that will suspend a student for even saying the word 'gun', we have a society full of brainwashed wimps who are afraid of the tools that free men own. This contributes to society being afraid of people who own guns.

And all this anti-gun culture is on the rise. The best thing we can do is show new people how free men live. :yesway:

CW9

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Greenwood
    so true, I just purchased a buddy of mines grandpa's Remmington 1100 just because he was never going to shoot it.

Now that I think of it, I don't know any young people around here that enjoy guns. I know a few that own guns but they were hand-me-downs from dad or grandpa and will probably never be shot again and just gathering dust in a closet or basement.

CW9

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Greenwood
    I think it was my gun crazed uncles on both sides that got me into shooting. I was shooting trap at like 8 and AR's, SKS, and all types of pistols. They even took me to NRA training classes when I was young.

My goal now is to get my roomate into firearms more than he is now. He goes almost every time I do to the range but he just bums my ammo, pistols, and rifles. Also, my other goal is to get my mother and father into shooting, especially since my mom was held at gun point and robbed not to long ago. My dad did buy a gun after that but its only a .22, so next 1500 we are going to get him a real firearm. :rockwoot: and his LTCH

I'm proof this works :D!!!! My Neighbor took me fishing all the time when I was younger, hell I'm 23 now and he still lets me know when he's fishing a tournament and 99% of the time I'll cancel all other plans to participate in that. I've also done my part and introduced one person to shooting this year. He bought his first shotgun (Mossberg 500) at the last 1500. My next project is getting my mom out to the range :faint:

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have his first-tour bring-back well-used AK Irak trophy in my safe (it is Russian, NO matching numbers!) plus serious Body Armor with it, and I would not take $10,000 for the collection.

If this is true, that's not something I'd be bragging to too many people about, let alone be posting on the internet. The ATF generally tends to frown on unregistered machine guns. :dunno:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Rambone post #76

Outstanding post, Rambone! :patriot:
    System won't let me rep you again.

Top Bottom