• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    :dunno: Agreed, I'm 22 and have quite a nice start to a good collection.
    I have always liked guns in more of a hobby way, I did not grow up with them and my freinds never got into them.
    The people close around me know I carry and may have a gun or 2.
    For some reason the few times I have shown family members or a freind some of my guns, they seem pretty shocked and ask me what I'm planning to do with "all those guns" as if I am planning somesort of final stand.:laugh:
    Many people seem very surprised that I can legaly carry a gun even though I am "not a cop".
    I had a freind who was also into guns but he is in the Marines and my (brother in law) a long time freind, but he has just resighned in the Army.
    We all used to go skeet shooting at Evans' (Marine).
    I crashed several dirtbikes growing up and have hardware so the military is a nogo for me.
    Mabey as some of our guys get home and adjusted we will see more of our age group.
    :popcorn:
    / I don't have a bunch of money or anything but I don't have a bunch of new clothes or hopped up cell phones etc. either. Many people I know would mabey have one around or go shooting but are not willing to spend the buck.

Last edited:

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I thinks its because we like simple things that can have a huge impact if not understood correctly. I mean a computer is just electricity and nothing more. and a bullet is just metal and some powder.

That's a pretty interesting thought.... I always admired a design that was simple yet effective. That's true ingenuity. Much too easy to make an elaborate contrivance fullfill a concept. But to do it simply takes true talent.

I actually went into mechanical engineering because I liked guns... Some like motors, I like guns... I wasn't able to find a job in the firearms industry though so I had to settle on making jet engines. Just not the same if you ask me. :)

Last edited:

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    All of you dang kids need to settle down and get to bed! Decent older people are trying to sleep here. You kids with your I-thingies, X wii's, and the cell phones that get the innerwebs! Phones are for talking, not surfing! In my day Charlie tried to surf and everybody knows Charlie don't surf! OMG this is giving me a headache, I need to get some BC powder and calm down, you loud kids have really got me going. And all of you better stay off my lawn while I'm asleep or I'm calling the law! That's right, the law! Do your mothers know you're still up agitating old folks? Get to bed, all of you and stop all this dang racket and fussing!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    All of you dang kids need to settle down and get to bed! Decent older people are trying to sleep here. You kids with your I-thingies, X wii's, and the cell phones that get the innerwebs! Phones are for talking, not surfing! In my day Charlie tried to surf and everybody knows Charlie don't surf! OMG this is giving me a headache, I need to get some BC powder and calm down, you loud kids have really got me going. And all of you better stay off my lawn while I'm asleep or I'm calling the law! That's right, the law! Do your mothers know you're still up agitating old folks? Get to bed, all of you and stop all this dang racket and fussing!
    :fogey:

Someone not get their Cranberry juice yet? :D

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Same here... Have you also noticed a big percentage of IT people interested in Firearms?

I swear its like 70%
    Actually me and a few friends were just talking about this, and attributed it to the Call of Duty craze. :P (A very unrealistic warfare game, for all you old folk. :P)

I am 23 and have noticed that my generation is not into firearms. Not one of my friends shoot or have any interest at all.

most people I see at shows and local shops are 30+ and I am the youngest by far all the times. I was just wondering if there are any young shooters like myself on here. Second, would any of you want to get together on weekends every now and then and go shooting.

P.S. It's sad to see that my generation has such a strong opposition to firearms. its seems that the libs have gotten to them, and have painted an image that firearms are a terrible thing.

I think that a lot of it may have to do with the media's outlook on firearms. Lets be honest, our generation is one of the most impressionable generations in history. Guys our age can barely sit still long enough to listen through all the R&B albums their friends swear they need. We buy iPhones, Playstation3's, mass marketed poorly produced games and music, and despite it's real value or craftsmanship, our dollar goes towards the flashiest ad.
    Or our vote goes towards the flashiest commercials. *cough*

With that in mind, the media takes every chance they get to bash firearms into the ground. We never hear about men protecting their families from intruders, or a driver fending off a car jacking with his concealed pistol. We only hear about massacres, murders, and rouge militias.

It's the real men, the ones who look at life with a thoughtful and subjective view, who will enjoy guns for what they really are. Entertainment, safety, and liberty.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    That's funny because I am a computer engineer/Programmer, and enjoy all the those things. Its I am not your typical nerd, I played football and basketball and then went home and got on the computer. I guess you could say I am a closet nerd.

Sounds like you're me.

I sell computers for a living, I love guns and cars!

I'm 23 and I've got some friends our age into guns too. We'll be at the SKS shoot in Bloomington March 13th. Come on down!

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I think you better put on a new pair of Depends...:laugh:

That right you smart aleck, make fun of a poor old guys prostrate that's swelling like a road-kill possum in July! I've had a enough of this! I'm calling the law...let's see the number is KLONDIKE 552. Hey wait a minute, this dang phone has buttons! Which one of you kids took my dialer thing off my telephone?? I bet it was you Andy. You like them Rugers and I'm pretty sure they're German. Back in the big war the germans used to steal our phones but we fixed 'em good! I've had it with all of you! Steal a guys phone thing like a bunch of nazi's....I'm going back to the home so you kids head to bed!

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    Heh, seems like there are a lot of guys here in the computer field. I thought at first, I'd be the only one. Maybe it does have something to do with the IT field. ;)

Superior minds maybe?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I am 25 and grew up in Greenwood and went to Center Grove. I think it may be just a space issue since most of the people who came before us (parents) were not into it much we just followed the norm. I myself just recently jumped into fire arms I always wanted to but never got the chance. For me my Grandfather who lives in upstate New York has a lot of land and with this guns. He is probably the main reason I have always been interested. That is my take on this but I'm sure there are many reasons!

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I am 32 and a work in the tech/project manager field myself. None of my close friends are into guns. I have noticed just how scared they are in the presence of guns.

Most of my friends parents are in their 50's while my dad had me late in life and is pushing 70. My dad had us BB guns at the age of 7-8ish. Only rule was no shooting people, dogs/birds, windows..property in general. we carried them into the woods and played war. Trees were enemies. My dad was a postman, among other jobs...just a good hard working blue collar guy.

There are many factors in play. Being in your early 20's your generation has grown up in the age of abundance and entitlement. I am just old enough to have grown up when you were cool if you were the kid who had a Atari or a Nintendo. Most of your friends prob had a PS1, and a PS2, and Xbox at the same time. who wants to shhot BB guns when you can eat cookies and play videos all night.

Another thought is the amount of people who have went to college in the last 20-30 years. Many more people have degrees and there is a good chance your friends parents are graduates. Higher learning tends to lean toward an attitude that guns are evil in most..not all. Your friends prob grew up in homes with less emphasis on the importance of guns for hunting, self defense and the pure enjoyment of shooting. They were told the current times aren't like they use to be and crime only happens in bad places.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    That right you smart aleck, make fun of a poor old guys prostrate that's swelling like a road-kill possum in July! I've had a enough of this! I'm calling the law...let's see the number is KLONDIKE 552. Hey wait a minute, this dang phone has buttons! Which one of you kids took my dialer thing off my telephone?? I bet it was you Andy. You like them Rugers and I'm pretty sure they're German. Back in the big war the germans used to steal our phones but we fixed 'em good! I've had it with all of you! Steal a guys phone thing like a bunch of nazi's....I'm going back to the home so you kids head to bed!

I get raw like Eddie, rough like Freddy
    Krueger with a Luger turnin men into spaghetti...Oh, I meant Ruger...

Last edited:

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Heh, seems like there are a lot of guys here in the computer field. I thought at first, I'd be the only one. Maybe it does have something to do with the IT field. ;)

Superior minds maybe?

Its is funny, I work for a company out of Atlanta and I know a good amount of our analysts and batch resources are gun owners. Tech requires rational and logical thinking...can anyone propose a logical argument for why someone would not want to own a gun for SD if properly stored from children?

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Thankfully the people Im around love guns. Im 27 and it seems most people under 25 have no desire to have, learn, or use a gun. They have this mentality that the country is sunshine and lollipops. Then again most people under the age of 25 also have no concept on how the country was founded so I think that may play a role in it as well. They don't understand the concept of the 2nd amendment and why it was put in place.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I am 21 and most of my friends are firearm friendly. However, none reload, I got my first press today and am going to break the mold!

Top Bottom