• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I really want a dog, but our lifestyle if pretty fast-paced and I don't want to be a bad owner. So, give me your opinion if this kind of dog exists.

I'm looking for a medium-sized dog (no more than 50 pounds), with short hair that doesn't shed very much. I'm alright with a little slobber, but not by the quart. :D I'm not sure if we can even start with a puppy, because he will be alone from approximately 8am-3pm on weekdays. That said, I wouldn't want to come home and experiencing "Wilfred's" objection to being ignored, demonstrated by torn couch pillows and pee everywhere.

He should be friendly, but I don't want a wimpy dog. So, I don't mind getting him trained to be aggressive when necessary. He can't be frightened by gun fire and not prone to barking and howling all the time. I love the American Bulldog, but I'm not sure if it's characteristics and personality fit my profile.

In short, I want the PERFECT dog! :laugh: So, should I give up on this desire?

Get a poodle.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Hmmm 50 pounds dog that isn't scare of strangers, that dog will be the BULL TERRIER
    Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nope! Kimball (Bobcat Steel) has one of those and he jumped up and almost knocked out my teeth with his sledgehammer head! :xmad:

Wuss....

Jango.jpg

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    the dog you want is the one you bring home, not the one you are picturing in your head now. both my current dogs (jack russell mix and dalmation/australian shepherd mix)were shelter pups and weren't what i thought we would get. you can always find good pups at a shelter, but if you have an idea of some breeds you may be interested, look around. you'll know when you find your dog.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    We're loyal Border Collie owner's, but BC's are not for the new dog owner, and even some established ones, they require attention and activity. But they are one of, if not the smartest dogs out there.

Now with that said, no matter what any one says or recommends, ultimately it is your choice.

So may I recommend going to one of the local shelters.

You'll be able to see them in their worst environment, around people they don't know, other dogs and cats, and you can tell a whole lot by seeing a dog in this environment.

Also, plan on purchasing a crate for your new pup, not only will it keep them from destructive behavior (separation anxiety, some pups do get it) it will be come their home away from home and safe place. And it can almost guarantee that there will be no accidents from "marking their territory" while you'r e away for the day. In the 26 years that me and the wife have had the five different pups we have had, there has been only one accident.

You'll also need to find a great vet, notice I did not say good. Luckily for you there is an excellent vet just down the road on 67 @ the Morgan/Hendricks County line road, St. Francis Vet, they are hands down the best vet in the area, and Dr. Bob is not only a great Dr., he is an excellent surgeon if your pet needs to be operated on.

Also here's a place to look at pups in the area up for adoption....
    Petfinder.com - Animal Welfare Organizations Near You

Que, I only live about 3.5 miles to the W-NW of you, don't hesitate to PM me if you need help.

You may look @ a ton of pups, but you'll know which one of them is for you, you'll feel it your bones and with your heart.:)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Can you define "our" a bit more. Will children be present? If so, what ages?

Yeah, we have two children, 10 and 15 years old. We are have many church activities, along with karate, community responsibilities and my range time/training. I really think a dog would be good for my son at his current stage in life.

When I look at this dog, I think about The Walking Dead. You can only kill that thing with a head shot... several of them! :ar15:

:laugh:

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah, we have two children, 10 and 15 years old. We are have many church activities, along with karate, community responsibilities and my range time/training. I really think a dog would be good for my son at his current stage in life.

I agree with Hoosierdaddy1976 above, let the dog pick you. None of the dogs that I have or had were ones that I had originally went out looking for.

You may want to consider an older dog, so all that puppy stuff gets bypassed. If we get another dog in the future, we'll get a mature dog. Already housebroken, already socialized with humans.

My friend adopted several older dogs (3 years old+) and really, really enjoyed skipping the puppy phase.

If you can wait for a dog, consider adopting a Military Working Dog (MWD). These are animals that are being retired from military service. Depending on availability, it may take up to 1-year to adopt as you wait for dogs to be retired.

You may or may not have to go to San Antonio, TX to pick the dog up from Lackland AFB. I would consider this if we got another dog.

Here's a link with more info: http://www.37trw.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-120718-079.pdf

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I really want a dog, but our lifestyle if pretty fast-paced and I don't want to be a bad owner. So, give me your opinion if this kind of dog exists.

I'm looking for a medium-sized dog (no more than 50 pounds), with short hair that doesn't shed very much. I'm alright with a little slobber, but not by the quart. :D I'm not sure if we can even start with a puppy, because he will be alone from approximately 8am-3pm on weekdays. That said, I wouldn't want to come home and experiencing "Wilfred's" objection to being ignored, demonstrated by torn couch pillows and pee everywhere.

He should be friendly, but I don't want a wimpy dog. So, I don't mind getting him trained to be aggressive when necessary. He can't be frightened by gun fire and not prone to barking and howling all the time. I love the American Bulldog, but I'm not sure if it's characteristics and personality fit my profile.

In short, I want the PERFECT dog! :laugh: So, should I give up on this desire?

You need the famous cross between a bull dog and a ****zu.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I will look into a shelter, but I just like the look of this breed of dog.

5189c3a422196462098aaa49da87a548_zpsd4a2d8fb.jpg

Whenever I think of a smaller dog, I see this in my mind.

fcccd8699d0d4a2034bf5e5526ad003f_zpsa5a09bb2.jpg

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You like AM bulldogs so why the 50 lbs limit? I have a breed in mind that would be perfect for you if you give up a couple of your parameters. Look up Bullmastiffs.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    +1 for Boxer. Our girl is very bright. She keeps constant watch, lets us know when someone is around that shouldnt be, and puts up with endless amounts of crap from our 2 year old. They are best buddies. Just the other day my 2 year old was out back on her swing and a dog that had gotten out in the neighborhood was heading towards our yard. That dog let out sounds so evil I didnt know she was capable of it. The other dog tucked its tail and walked away very briskly. Shes a hell of a dog. We rescued her also.
    Dog011.jpg

Dog017.jpg
    +
    +
    photo9_zps11902e2d.jpg

Top Bottom