• ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Ummm, that doesn't look like my kind of dog. :D
    Don't let the looks fool you. They were bred to be herders and guard dogs. Fierce little warriors. I would suggest a Rhodesian Ridgeback, but almost all of the ones I've seen here in the US are too skinny. Overbred, in my mind. The ones I saw in South Africa were beauties. Bred to fight off leopards and lions and the odd bandit or Englishman.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Learn about dogs as you have firearms. If you are fortunate you will have one in your life that is more loyal than any human can be. If you want to spec a dog that way it wont happen. They don't come from the factory special order. I have had many dogs in my life but I rescued an evil Chow Chow pup about 12 years ago. I had to keep my promise to him 2 months ago. I never cried at my fathers funeral but cried like a baby when this one took his last breath. He was a fighter, not gun shy very well mannered and loyal. Not for all people or someone not familiar with dogs. Learn about dogs they are more than "just a dog" a good one might just save your life when you least expect it. Good luck in your quest, be gentle with the hand that corrects.

You are right. My fraternity brother has a dog that is awesome. His family wanted the dog and he didn't, but let them get it. It's a little toy dog. Now, the dog will only listen to him and won't allow anyone else to walk him. My frat brother was upset at first, now that dog has him wrapped around its paw.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Basset Hounds
    while I love my Bassets, I have to say they are not exactly what Que wants as they do have a tendency to bark/howl a bit much.
    I have one that doesn't make a sound, one who barks but not to much and one we ended up buying a bark collar for because she never stopped barking.
    Loving, loyal, great with kids but can be just as mean if it is someone they don't trust. That and their need to wander if they catch a scent.

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    How about a poodle? They're intelligent, athletic, family dogs. Someone who had one said poodle hair doesn't 'shed'; (all dogs shed, as do all of us with hair!) but the hair comes out more of a small clump, making it easier to vacuum.
    Plus, it's the dog of Navy Seals! Navy SEALS secret weapon: elite dog team - The Poodle (and Dog) Blog
    Don't be fooled by the 'french poodle' style cut these dogs wear at dog shows. They are not 'sissy' dogs at all.

I would agree about beagles. Very good dogs, but not for the impatient or new dog owner. I've had beagles and loved them all but they are ruled by their nose/sense of smell. Some tend to bark and dig a lot too.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1931993343/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1366422662&sr=8-2&pi=SL75]The Original Dog Bible: The Definitive New Source To All Things Dog (Original Dog Bible: The Definitive Source for All Things Dog):Amazon:Books[/ame]

And shelters have dogs of various ages. As has been mentioned previously, a good source.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    while I love my Bassets, I have to say they are not exactly what Que wants as they do have a tendency to bark/howl a bit much.
    I have one that doesn't make a sound, one who barks but not to much and one we ended up buying a bark collar for because she never stopped barking.
    Loving, loyal, great with kids but can be just as mean if it is someone they don't trust. That and their need to wander if they catch a scent.

Yeah, we used to breed Bassets so I grew up with a lot of them. They do well alone, they don't normally chew up stuff (atleast ours didn't) They do howl but they are also a natrual alarm system. You will know if anyone is outside and they are great trackers. They can be hard headed and chasing a scent is what killed our first Male. He was chasing a rabbit across the road we couldn't get him off the scent he crossed the road and got hit by a car. Better country dogs than in town dogs.

I've got a Boxer now. He is my best friend and constant companion. But I don't think a Boxer really fits the shoe either. They do not do so well alone and if I am gonna be gone for a long time and can't take him with me, then he either has to go outside or in his crate. They are very high energy dogs.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Yeah, we used to breed Bassets so I grew up with a lot of them. They do well alone, they don't normally chew up stuff (atleast ours didn't) They do howl but they are also a natrual alarm system. You will know if anyone is outside and they are great trackers. They can be hard headed and chasing a scent is what killed our first Male. He was chasing a rabbit across the road we couldn't get him off the scent he crossed the road and got hit by a car. Better country dogs than in town dogs.

I've got a Boxer now. He is my best friend and constant companion. But I don't think a Boxer really fits the shoe either. They do not do so well alone and if I am gonna be gone for a long time and can't take him with me, then he either has to go outside or in his crate. They are very high energy dogs.
    I have a sandal that I found when I came home tonight that will disagree with you on chewing. ;) She is also the one who has to wear a bark collar. Well she hasn't had it on for 24 hrs and she is still not barking. <praying>
    We also have a litter due Mother's Day weekend if you were looking for another one ;)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I really want a dog, but our lifestyle if pretty fast-paced and I don't want to be a bad owner. So, give me your opinion if this kind of dog exists.

I'm looking for a medium-sized dog (no more than 50 pounds), with short hair that doesn't shed very much. I'm alright with a little slobber, but not by the quart. :D I'm not sure if we can even start with a puppy, because he will be alone from approximately 8am-3pm on weekdays. That said, I wouldn't want to come home and experiencing "Wilfred's" objection to being ignored, demonstrated by torn couch pillows and pee everywhere.

He should be friendly, but I don't want a wimpy dog. So, I don't mind getting him trained to be aggressive when necessary. He can't be frightened by gun fire and not prone to barking and howling all the time. I love the American Bulldog, but I'm not sure if it's characteristics and personality fit my profile.

In short, I want the PERFECT dog! :laugh: So, should I give up on this desire?

Ok, you have just described my dog Barney exactly, except he's 125lbs.

I have told you before, a Rottweiler is the perfect dog.

Don't shed that much.
    Very lazy, but ready to play when you want to.
    Used to being left alone for hours at a time.
    Great watch dog.
    Loves bacon.

I'm free tomorrow if you want to meet him.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Short-haired or smooth collie.

Good around kids with a friendly demeanor. Not aggressive but alert and vocal (good watchdog).

Very loyal and while not in the top 5 of smartest breeds (I think Poodles, German Shepards and Shiba Inus are the smartest) it is a smart and easily trained breed.

Likes exercise so have the boy take him for walks, when he is not mowing your grass.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWiWXdy3DWw[/ame]

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    By the way, I have a small house. And with a 125lb dog running around inside, it is NOT cramped.

If you want to meet him, you have my number Que.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I should mention my dad now has 3 English Bulldogs though he does not breed dogs anymore. They are some of the best dogs I've had the chance to be around. They tolerate my nieces hanging on them, They are very sweet and loving once they trust you, They WILL NOT back down from a fight or a game of tug-of-war. They don't bark much, the don't shed much they sleep most of the time so they do well alone, The only thing is they slobber non-stop. Like by the bucket full.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Is that one of those new Japanese robotic/cyborg creations everybody is buzzing about? ;)

Not exactly Japanese, but he does come with his own sonic screwdriver...

k9doctorwho5.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a sandal that I found when I came home tonight that will disagree with you on chewing. ;)

Well, I said that the ones we had didn't :dunno:

We also have a litter due Mother's Day weekend if you were looking for another one ;)

:eek: PUPPIES!!! Just by chance my fiance and I have been discussing getting another dog. She wants a little lap dog though like a Pug or Yorki. Will you help me convince her that a Basset IS a lap dog?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Well, I said that the ones we had didn't :dunno:

:eek: PUPPIES!!! Just by chance my fiance and I have been discussing getting another dog. She wants a little lap dog though like a Pug or Yorki. Will you help me convince her that a Basset IS a lap dog?
    will multiple pictures suffice? If the lap is empty in this house, there is a dog in it.. King size bed fits 2 adults and 3 Bassets just right... They are lap dogs :D

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Dogs are a lot like kids...they will only be as good as you train them to be. Be consistent and good to them when disciplining them. My favorite breed used to be boxers but IndyJohn and I brought home our shelter rescue (Whippet/maybe Pit Bull Terrier mix) in January. Currently about 9months old, about 35-40lbs, loves the kids and has been very good with them. Doesn't shed too badly (GSD are bad at that). His personality is NOT to be the alpha dog but he is a natural protector of the family.

Top Bottom