• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Echohim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Going to be getting my LTCH and I'm concerned about the following scenario.

So, you have your LTCH in your wallet and your pistol in your purse...and you're going too fast so the officer pulls you over for speeding.

Do officers usually ask you if you are carrying a weapon?
    If they ask, do you have to acknowledge it, or can you just show them your drivers license with the LTCH and not say anything else? :dunno:

Thanks!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Going to be getting my LTCH and I'm concerned about the following scenario.

So, you have your LTCH in your wallet and your pistol in your purse...and you're going too fast so the officer pulls you over for speeding.

Do officers usually ask you if you are carrying a weapon?
    If they ask, do you have to acknowledge it, or can you just show them your drivers license with the LTCH and not say anything else? :dunno:

Thanks!

Not a lawyer, but the consensus here including from our lawyers and LEOs is "I do not consent to a search" in the event that any questions regarding your possessions are asked. The rationale is that you have not lied and have not consented, and have not accidentally said anything that can be construed as probable cause. In the event you are made to exit your vehicle, make sure you lock the door behind you (I would say that carrying an extra set of keys in your pocket to recover from this resulting in locking your primary keys in the car would be a good idea as well as cheap insurance against accidentally locking yourself out in general). In the event that he cannot demonstrate probable cause and cannot help himself (and perhaps even claim it as consent if you exit without locking) it will be difficult to force his way into a search. I wish I had the information available to me a long time ago. Oh well, experience is something you generally gain AFTER you need it!

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I woudn't offer any information unless specifically asked about it. According to some officers on INGO they can now tell if you have a LTCH when they run your drivers license. No big deal just be honest and you should have no problems.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    http://https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/81201-an_oc_guide_to_protecting_your_rights_what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html

Many threads on this site concerning this topic. Too many responses to list them all, I personally don't plan on telling the LEO anything other than what he asks within reason. Do not volunteer information. If he asks if i have a firearm I will reply nothing illegal, if he want to see it I will reply that I don't consent to searches, and ask if I am being detained, if the answer is no then am I free to go? If i am asked to exit the vehicle i will lock it behind me, and if the officer is set on disarming me they will have to take it out of the holster. I know my serial number and will inform them of it if they feel the need to violate me by taking it, which i doubt will suffice. You will need to do your own research and find what you are comfortable with.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I won't notify even if asked, even if they can see it right there on my hip.

That's obviously not why they pulled me over.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I always get my registration and license out, sitting on the dash in front of my steering wheel ready to hand over, hands at 10 & 2 (visible). I haven't had to go any farther IRL. If he asks if you have LTCH and you do, he's not really entitled to go further. I understand that the operator's license returns LTCH status now; if he really wants to see it, I'll show him. If he wants it (the gun), he can take it himself, but if he has any sense he'll know it's best off right where it is in the holster.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My answer is....don't drive too fast and get pulled over. Traffic laws are laws after all. Obey the traffic laws and don't you don't have to worry about your question.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Locking the door behind you sounds like a good idea, I had not heard of that before. Then they either have to have your consent or remove your keys from you to do a search.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    My answer is....don't drive too fast and get pulled over. Traffic laws are laws after all. Obey the traffic laws and don't you don't have to worry about your question.

Very true but it does not always work. We have the occasional issue in our area where they will pull people over just to prove a point. :-/

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If that is true, why are there no lawsuits? What point is being proved by this illegal behavior?

Given the low burden of proof (which amounts to their word they observed a violation) lying and getting away with it is easy. Case in point, I had one memorable incident of a state trooper lying that I was speeding because he wanted to rummage through my log book. Not a thing I could do about it, at least not anything that would be legal.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    If I'm close to home, which is most of the time, most local LEO's know me and It's not an issue. Out of town, I don't say anything unless asked (hasn't happened).

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

No, the solution is to be the second fastest vehicle on the road. Let the 16y/o punk be your block and get the ticket. :D

Rose-Coloredville sounds nice. What are home prices doing there?

Top Bottom