• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mohrpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    The NRA has a good video on their site that demonstrates how to handle this. Both times i have been stopped i provided my permit with my driver's license, the officer was very appreciative of it . He did not ask what or where the guns where, they just let me go with verbal for speed. Remember, letting them know is for your safety as well as theirs.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    The NRA has a good video on their site that demonstrates how to handle this. Both times i have been stopped i provided my permit with my driver's license, the officer was very appreciative of it . He did not ask what or where the guns where, they just let me go with verbal for speed. Remember, letting them know is for your safety as well as theirs.
    Please explain how telling an LEO that I am armed makes them or myself safer?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The NRA has a good video on their site that demonstrates how to handle this. Both times i have been stopped i provided my permit with my driver's license, the officer was very appreciative of it . He did not ask what or where the guns where, they just let me go with verbal for speed...

If that's the way it was always handled, I'd have no problem informing.

Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Remember, letting them know is for your safety as well as theirs.

I assume you're joking. They are in no danger from me whether they are aware of my firearm or not.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    A lot of the people on here are telling you how they would act if they were pulled over in an internet forum. Try this: Know your rights and use them to protect yourself from the rare jerk. If he is being polite, you be polite. If he is being a jerk or trying to violate you then you can start with the "am I being detained" lock the car doors like a 2-year old thing

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    A lot of the people on here are telling you how they would act if they were pulled over in an internet forum. Try this: Know your rights and use them to protect yourself from the rare jerk. If he is being polite, you be polite. If he is being a jerk or trying to violate you then you can start with the "am I being detained" lock the car doors like a 2-year old thing

Really? So you think if an officer asks you to get out of your vehicle that locking the door behind you is acting like a 2 year old?

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    When the officer runs you on his in car computer he will know you have an LCTH, so if you are carrying show him your license and when he asks about a hand gun say yes I have a weapon with me.

Do not consent to a search of you car or person. He has no cause to think you are doing anything illegal except speeding.

Never give a police officer a reason to harass you further just be polite and let him do his job. If he asks you to exit you vehicle do so. If he asks to search you vehicle ask him why, am I being detained, etc.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    "Sir/Ma'am, there is nothing illegal in this vehicle."
    "No, I do not consent to a vehicle search."

As for the speeding infraction, once it's settled;

"No Sir/Ma'am, there is nothing illegal in my vehicle. Am I free to go?"
    "No, I am hereby invoking my 4th Amendment right and do not consent to the search of my vehicle."
    "Am I being detained?"
    "Am I free to go?"

"Thank you"

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    A Personal NOte

I'm 66+ and have been driving since I was 16, I've been carrying off and on since 1985. I've been pulled over in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Kansas and Colorado. I have never had an altercation or incident with an officer. I approach pull overs as he is doing his job nothing more. I've been asked on several occasions if I have a weapon in the car I always answer "yes, I have a 45 on my waist band" . Generally the officer says " ok lets just leave it there and sometimes adds please keep your hands in sight.

Maybe I'm the exception but I just don't see the concern here. I'm doing nothing except possibly breaking a traffic rule, I may get a ticket and if I do that is my fault not the officer's

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    Really? So you think if an officer asks you to get out of your vehicle that locking the door behind you is acting like a 2 year old?
    Yes. Quite childish and accomplishes nothing and is probably offensive to an officer that is not doing anything illegal. If some rogue officer is brazen enough to illegally search then he is probably bold enough to take your keys. Where do people come up with these off the wall ideas?:dunno:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yes. Quite childish and accomplishes nothing and is probably offensive to an officer that is not doing anything illegal. If some rogue officer is brazen enough to illegally search then he is probably bold enough to take your keys. Where do people come up with these off the wall ideas?:dunno:

Offensive to the officer?

It's offensive to me that after determining I have a valid LTCH and that I am who I say I am, he would continue to treat me like a criminal for the mere fact that I choose to exercise my rights.

We are forced to respond to the no-legal-grounds behavior of LE because it's the only way to ensure that our rights are protected. They certainly won't do it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If you do it right you lock your keys in the vehicle that way he can't take them from you and after it's all said and done you can ask him if he'll help you get your door open.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Depends on how it's going. If the officer is being polite and I don't feel I'm at risk of him willfully violating my rights, I wouldn't bother locking it - but I've never been asked out of the car before.

If he's being a jerk, and tells me to get out of the car, I will lock it on my way out - even if I have to lock the keys in it (this is why there is a second key hidden *ON* the vehicle somewhere else... *cough, cough*.

Another option, when they pull up is to crack your door, instead of rolling down the window. You can always claim the window doesn't work (pretty common, lol) - that is - if you're paranoid that they won't let you roll the window up before you get out and/or they will reach in and unlock it through the window. Can't say for sure whether they would perhaps walk to the other side and ask you to roll that window down - I could see that being a response to you not rolling down the driver window (or just how they handle it to begin with).

Top Bottom