• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have seen "some" prices there on firearms that were probably better then what I could get online or at any other gun store. I bought my M&P9 there for 499 as well as an LCP for 299. You just have to know the prices on the average going rate to make an informed decision.... However, the 30 minutes I had to wait for a manager to walk me to the front of store with the unloaded firearms I just got was a bit extreme, when I had two loaded ones on my person

But ... the prices on the non on sale items are way too much.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have seen "some" prices there on firearms that were probably better then what I could get online or at any other gun store. I bought my M&P9 there for 499 as well as an LCP for 299. You just have to know the prices on the average going rate to make an informed decision.... However, the 30 minutes I had to wait for a manager to walk me to the front of store with the unloaded firearms I just got was a bit extreme, when I had two loaded ones on my person

But ... the prices on the non on sale items are way too much.

IF the money had already changed hands, after about 10-15 minutes I would have grown a bit too impatient and asked to "check out something" on the weapon. As soon as it was in my hands, I would be politely excusing myself from the premises. What are they going to do? Call the cops because I am carrying my bought and paid for property out of the store? While I understand the walkout policy, you had better be damned sure that each and every employee is able to do that deed. I'm not waiting around for a manager to allow me to exit with my property.

In my case the manager was only needed to double check the serials were accurate and sign off the paperwork. the guy I bought my O/U from did the walkout with me. Not sure why your store required a manager.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    I know the last time I bought new, the wife and I checked every LGS first. No one had anything we wanted in stock. We couldn't get the attention of the employees in one of the shops because so many were trying to get into the range. The selection was so poor most everywhere we walked out without trying to talk to anyone.
    We went to GM and found a huge selection. We were able to look/ handle everything we wanted. And we were able to buy what we wanted, when we wanted. The same experience we would have at any big box store. LGS's have a lot to learn from stores like GM and Walmart. Sure we paid more ( probably), but we walked out satisfied. That says a lot when the wife is happy and has her first gun in hand at the end of the day.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If all of you who just go to look with no intent to purchase weren't wasting the salesman's time the wait would be much shorter. :twocents:
    In previous years I have spent literally thousands of dollars in GM. The reason they lost my business is due to several reasons which are their fault not mine! Some are corporate like the BS they pulled with the AR's. & stupid high pricing on not all but a lot of items. Others are local. Like the WORST customer service in any store I've ever visited. 2 the attitude problem of some employees in the gun department. Not even acknowledging customers with a hello Really gets under my skin. And it's intentional. (Things like a number system are good for not getting served out of turn but some employees take it as permission to not acknowledge customers)
    i don't visit GM enough to be known as the guy who finger ****s the guns and never buys, not do I hardly ever even look at guns there. I look at other things. My experiences are based on times I did buy or times I had intentions to buy but was either ignored so long or too ticked off once I was helped I just didn't go through with it. Once in a great while I might want to see something new I can't find at a small shop.
    im sure most of the attitude problem with employees is due to poor management and improper training. And I'm sure it runs much higher than just the store level. Eventually they will run out of people who like getting treated like **** and they will either change their ways or just lose profit.
    id rather give my money to guys like USDS in greenwood who EARN my business. Old fashion kindness/honesty and good pricing goes a long way. And I refer everyone I can to them.

Last edited:

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    I was excited when I stepped foot in GM for the first time this year. It was nice to see the selection but the pricing was so high my excitement went away as I realized I wasn't missing out on anything by never shopping there before. I'd rather hit up a couple lgs to find a particular item than overpay but that's just be me. I also understand others that see the convenience of shopping one store for all their needs regardless of price.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    I used to work at Gander in Castleton, thought it might be a cool job. I was wrong...corporate policies are crap, and that's why most of the employees you speak to are not helpful. If you're not buying they'll probably move on, because selling a certain number of credit cards and extra warranties on the gun is a requirement of employment. They get a 1% commission, so will try to sell you the most expensive gun they can. I grew tired of it, and thought it stupid I wasn't allowed to carry. I haven't shopped there since and never will.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Please explain.

I believe he is referring to the stores that pulled the AR pattern rifles from their racks after Newtown because AR's are evil of course.
    Blaming the gun and not the PSYCHO *******s that pull the trigger or stab people or beat them to death with a piece of concrete or something, etc.

They did it for political reasons, reason enough to believe they do not support the Constitution and freedom.
    People (corporations) like that do not need his support, or mine for that reason.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I don't know if GM did that or not, I was referring to the stores (whatever corp) did that nonsense.
    I know that the Indiana stores didn't pull them. You have to give Gander a little credit, when a lot of companies were trying to distance themselves from guns they were remodeling stores to expand their firearms inventory.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was in the area of the greenwood one so I stopped in to see if they had any good deals and boy was I wrong.

Good deals? From a big box store in this market? No way!:D

Not going to happen. But to answer your question, supply creates its own demand. Gander Mountain succeeds because of economies of scale and its ability to display large numbers of guns. The vig on guns and ammo is tiny but guns are just a loss leader; they can sell the guns low while clothing and shoes make the monthly nut.

I decided to go down the holster isle and ended up being greeted by (loaded?) handguns because atleast 3 people decided to just pull out their guns and try them in a new holster.

That is not Gander's fault. If they prohibited carry because of the behavior of every Jasper and Cledus, then there would be 982 threads on INGO about how Gander Mountain "don't respect meye rights".

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    My last trip to GM, last week, was a full bust. It was 1)Ammo day. No .22LR. 2)Wanted to purchase a Blackhawk serpa holster, didnt have the model I wanted. 3)Tried to order the holster, they said they could not even order the model I wanted. Even though the guy helping me was in fact helpful, its was still a waisted trip. I dont like GM because of the high pricing, but I still keep going there.

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    Several years back when the pro-hunter came out I went to GM to check them out. Guy behind the counter told me they were sold out didn't know when they would get them in. He was very rude in his manner of speaking. I asked him if they could order me one or if I paid for it now if they could hold one for me. Again he said in a rude and sarcastic tone, nope. I began to speak again and he turned his back ot me and walked away. Walked out their door and over to Dicks, bought an Encore and have never been back except to purchase stuff when I get a gift card.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I heard the GM in Greenwood pulled taxidermy mounts off the walls to avoid offending customers. Is this true? My intial thought, when I heard this a few days ago, was perhaps they were cleaning them or doing some kind of inventory?

Top Bottom