• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I have a buddy that works the counter at Greenwood GM. Great guy, known him for 20 years. Straight shooter. He tells me that they price match. Their policy is printed below. I believe that is a fair way to do business. They are entitled to price their goods any way they choose. You know the old supply and demand thing. Well demand is up so they charge more. If you do not like that so what?

In every store you go into (gun or other) you should keep in mind the old adage "Buyer Beware". It is your job to be informed. Don't be a sheep. Be smart. So if you are really a buyer, do your homework and if you decide to do business with GM, take in your proof of what another legitimate retailer is selling the exact same item for and let them match it. Why get on INGO and fuss about it? If you really want to stick it to GM take them up on their policy.

Still... say I see a new S&W Revolver I really want - I coon finger it all afternoon at GM then drive down the street to Beech Grove Firearms. If they have it cheaper I don't **** and moan about Gander, I buy it from BGF.

Again, Gander is entitled to price their goods any way they want to. And because they price match I thing they are a pretty good store.

Retail Store Policy
    If you should find a lower price on an identical in-stock item within 14 days at a local competitor, let us know about it and we will match that price. Visit Customer Service for complete details, restrictions apply.*

* Local is defined as a retailer within a one-hour drive of the store. Exclusions include rebates, financing offers, misprints, discontinued, clearance, or closeout prices or prices on used, damaged, returned, open box or display merchandise. For buy-one get-one offers and coupons we will meet the competitor’s price. This price guarantee does not extend to dealers, resellers or internet pricing. Proof of a lower price must be provided at the time of purchase to receive a price match. Gandermountain.com/Overtons.com prices may differ slightly from Gander Mountain retail store prices on some items. If it does, let us know and we will match the posted price.

BellBottomBlues

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I don't mind just browsing at GM but I would much rather support local shops. This past weekend I was in there and couldn't believe some of their ammo prices!

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    People crack me up...
    I bet there is someone in Minnesota right now talking about how they arent going to GM, because they want to "shop local"

If Plainfield shooters supply suddenly had 100 stores, would they no longer be local enough for you? I use them for an example because I think GM has lower prices on ammo...

It cracks me up when people start into this "shop local" behavior. No company makes it far with just one store. A company that does it right, ends up having many stores, or joining into a cooperative, then gets chastised by someone because theyre not "local" enough. They pay local taxes, they employ local workers, and they give back to the local community. So their main office is in Minnesota? What difference does that make? They operate as separate entities anyway. Its all about raising profit margin by lowering their cost for items, while still maintaining the same price levels/increases. This is why all your "local" hardware stores, fly the do-it-best banner. (whether or not they choose to display it, as its optional) They can get better pricing from manufacturers by buying in bulk, so they "sell out" and become a member of one of the largest coops in the area, but everyone still thinks their "local"

Little off topic, but if youve ever had your nose in the retail world, that whole "shop local" thing wouldnt make sense to you either.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I dont darken their doors either, however, many people do, just like at the mall, plenty of folks shopping to get what they need. Also some talented and gifted folks who dont care about cash like most of us. I once had a Doctor friend who has since moved to the Chicago area. He would and could buy whatever he wanted, anytime he wanted to. Wish I had that problem, so high-ho, high-ho, it's off to Wal-Mart I go!

P.S. I know "saint's" and he means the sporting goods store................LMFAO too.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    People crack me up...
    I bet there is someone in Minnesota right now talking about how they arent going to GM, because they want to "shop local"

If Plainfield shooters supply suddenly had 100 stores, would they no longer be local enough for you? I use them for an example because I think GM has lower prices on ammo...

It cracks me up when people start into this "shop local" behavior. No company makes it far with just one store. A company that does it right, ends up having many stores, or joining into a cooperative, then gets chastised by someone because theyre not "local" enough. They pay local taxes, they employ local workers, and they give back to the local community. So their main office is in Minnesota? What difference does that make? They operate as separate entities anyway. Its all about raising profit margin by lowering their cost for items, while still maintaining the same price levels/increases. This is why all your "local" hardware stores, fly the do-it-best banner. (whether or not they choose to display it, as its optional) They can get better pricing from manufacturers by buying in bulk, so they "sell out" and become a member of one of the largest coops in the area, but everyone still thinks their "local"

Little off topic, but if youve ever had your nose in the retail world, that whole "shop local" thing wouldnt make sense to you either.

A nearby small town has a "Shop (town's name) First!" campaign along with all the useless Chamber of Commerce crap. They even put price comparisons in the local rag every now and then. Only problem is that several of the local business owners are jerks and act like you're bothering them when you come in their stores. Their selections suck as well.

I've come to the point in my life that I will pay extra for good service. But I will not pay extra to be treated like crap.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    While I have never taken advantage of it, I was told by an associate at GM that they DO price match on firearms, so long as the item is in stock at the place they are price matching.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I did business with Gander Mountain before they had retail stores. It was a catalog business only. If they were as horrible (as some think) they wouldn't have grown to be as large as they are.

I go there because they have things that you don't find at most other retail stores and their prices aren't any worse than others.

I was looking for long sleeve Carhartt pocket Tee shirts. I made a point to stop at several of the traditional places for outdoor wear and found nothing. GM had them and the price was about the same as other stores .... when they had them to sell.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    At the Terre Haute Gander Mountain guns are price matched to any store within 40 miles.

At Lafayette, was told they would match Indy stores if the LGS has the gun in stock and is open so that they can verify. Since most LGSs close at 6 or 7pm and many are closed on Sunday, it limits the usefulness of that policy.

I'm another one that uses GM as a convenient showroom before I buy at the LGS.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville

YUP!! My dad went in and they price matched a bone collector then gave him 10% off for fun I guess! Yes prices are high on most things, but what other outdoor store is in the indy area? nothing, so yeah they will make their money, if you owned the store you would be rich! they will price match anything, take your internet phone, find it online, and its yours! I think it excludes a few things of course :) use technology to your benefit.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    And one thing I've found is that it's very hard to find a revolver at a LGS. With the exception of Blythe's, the other LGS in this area have cases of semi's and a couple of overpriced 50-year-old Colts that have been to hell and back.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Looking at their prices in Hobart, I'm surprised they sell any guns. Cabelas isn't much better.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Looking at their prices in Hobart, I'm surprised they sell any guns. Cabelas isn't much better.

And Cabela's makes you work for it. Two flights of steps so you can stand in line for half an hour to see someone who is already rushing you off to get to the next customer.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    36   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I Was at the Fort Wayne store yesterday. IMO i think selection and customer service is getting worse.
    They only had 1 brand of shooting gloves and i had to ask 3 different employee's to help me find them!!

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yeah, I went to GM looking for some shooting glasses that would fit over my regular eyeglasses. Not only did they not have any, the girl there didn't even know that over-the-glasses safety glasses existed. She said she thought my regular glasses should be fine.

Top Bottom