• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I heard the GM in Greenwood pulled taxidermy mounts off the walls to avoid offending customers. Is this true? My intial thought, when I heard this a few days ago, was perhaps they were cleaning them or doing some kind of inventory?

If so I think some of those sensitive customers need to drive north to a more suitably PC environment like REI.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Excludes firearms. :(

Our local store will match firearms.

And I have not yet found a cheaper place for shotgun shells that I buy for Trap.

Plus, I scored my M&P 9 last year in January for $50 less than the next closet seller. And I check online and LGS.

Not defending them because on a lot of stuff they are really high, but they do have some deals now and then.

I also bought two articles of clothing before Christmas at over 50% off which made them reasonable in price.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is exactly right. Small gun stores can be very intimidating to neophytes. Sadly, many (maybe most) LGS's do a poor job of welcoming newbies.

Yup. Was in a LGS last week and the guy was talking to me, showing me some Sigs when a "buddy" walked in. He put away what he was showing me and basically brushed me off and went and Jack jawed to his friend.

And they wonder why people don't buy from them?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Several years back when the pro-hunter came out I went to GM to check them out. Guy behind the counter told me they were sold out didn't know when they would get them in. He was very rude in his manner of speaking. I asked him if they could order me one or if I paid for it now if they could hold one for me. Again he said in a rude and sarcastic tone, nope. I began to speak again and he turned his back ot me and walked away. Walked out their door and over to Dicks, bought an Encore and have never been back except to purchase stuff when I get a gift card.

Seriously? So, instead of pointing out a bad employee to a company that probably doesnt even know it. You dont say anything, and demonize the company, for the actions of an employee. Whos to say what was the problem (I say that because I know a guy who works retail who lost his wife, and I could see how he might not be in the best of moods, and someone with a closed mind, would just think hes an *******)

My point is, You didnt like how you were treated, and instead of telling him that you didnt like the way you were treated. You walked away pissed off, and refused to come back to a store that DOESNT EVEN KNOW you were mistreated. You could of at least told the manager...
    Im sorry, but theres a certain amount of responsibility that lies on the consumer, to point out these things. You might as well just say, because you dont like the way Im treating you right now, that you will never log on to INGO again.... Thats what you did with that situation...

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think it is a great place to check out and fondle the firearms you would like to buy some day. Even with a price-match, if my LGS has it or can get it that is where I buy it. I owe no loyalty to Gander Mountain.

hillbilly45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    Frankfort
    The staff there doesn't really seem knowledgeable about what there are there trying to sell. I asked about an expedition tent for hunting in the mountains and a pimple faced kid showed me a tent that could have been taken down by a deer breaking wind. Shame....

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Oh yeah , forgot to mention all the yoga pants I have seen walking around , almost makes me forget the firearms .

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    Gander targets the crowd that is out wanting to buy a gun but don't know where to go about doing that. The more savvy gun owners already to know where the best deals are. Gander is fine losing those sales. They are still one of the largest gun sellers out there.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I was in the Portage Bass Pro for about 45 minutes yesterday. The whole time I was in there they had one guy working the gun counter. I felt bad for the guy working the counter, he was in the middle of a gun sale and trying to help other customers, it was busy. As I was leaving I stopped by the front greeter and asked them if a manager was available. I was going to tell the manager you need to get some more people working the gun counter. She called for one, I left after waiting ten minutes for them to show up. I like GM inventory of handguns, but had the same experience there. Not enough people working. That is why I go to Blythe's, not the best prices, but knowledgeable and good customer service.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    1) a lot of people shopping at hander mountain for guns are first time buyers or have very little knowledge and experience in the gun world.
    2) the selection is unreal
    3) its a "comfortable" setting for people to shop, unlike a lot of gun shops where the owners or people working there are plain rude or treat you bad if you dont know what you are talking about
    4) Its a great location, i hate the drive to bradis
    5) other than 22lr, ammo is in stock when you go there
    6) You can coon finger all day long and they dont care
    7) you can buy a safe while you are there, or camping equipment, or boots, or a whole lot of other crap

Having said all that, i do not shop there except for 22lr(recently) and 270 WSM which they price matched an online add that i showed them on my phone. Correction, i do not buy there, i do shop there ALOT. The price matched a bone collector for a relative of mine, so that was nice. The point is, gander mountain might suck to you, but it is awesome to a whole lot of people, and people dont mind paying more if they "feel" better about their purchase, this is why huge department stores that look nice and are friendly do very well, and little crappy shops like Pop guns(family indoor shooting range) will never get my business(btw i gave them 3 chances, everytime they are rude, quick to the sale, or pushy). i dont buy there, but i sure shop there

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    (posted in the other Gander Mountain hate thread)
    I had a very positive experience at Gander Mountain with price matching.

I got a $100 GM gift card for Christmas. I went to the store in Lafayette and observed (as many people have said) that a lot of stuff is overpriced, including the MS3 Mapul sling they had in stock for $75. Since I had been looking at it anyway, I knew this price to be high, and I left discouraged, hoping to find a sale or another time to shop when I could get more value for my fun money.

I then read on this forum about the price match policy, and called customer service. Not only were they helpful and friendly, they offered to price match and bumped the price up by a nickel so I met the $50 threshold for free shipping. I did it all over the phone, used my cards, didn't have to drive anywhere, and the sling will be here in a few days. Merry Christmas to me.

These results were duplicated... I told my brother in law who also got a GM card and wanted the same sling about it, and he got same offer.

I'll be going back, especially armed with information about low prices other places. I think they're pretty good with price matching.

m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    their prices are insane!!! they have decent deals on optics though i will give them that. the only thing i ever bought from there was my EOTech, a duck commander t-shirt for my dad, and a package of rail covers. I try to keep my gander business to a minimum. I haven't had any of these notoriously bad run ins with employees and customers. i just don't ever want to.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    They match prices to the penny , as long as it meets a few criteria , the local shop offering it cheaper has to have it in stock at the time of purchase , supposed to be within 50 miles of the store you are at .
    I checked online and I did find a rifle I would like to purchase , I found 5 across the U.S , last one being Castleton , I had the guy connect me directly to see if I could get transferred to the Evansville store for me . His answer why of course if your local store will allow it , if they do sir it will cost you $75.00 to transfer it there and then there will be an additional $25.00 for doing paperwork at that store since it's being shipped in .
    I told the guy , I said your kidding me , first off Gander is $240.00 higher then Whittakers , secondly it's an additional $100.00 to go from 1 gander to another and then cost me for a transfer from there own store .He said sir you should just drive here to save that money , I explained it's not worth the 6+ hour drive to save $100.00 .. I politely said thanks so much and hung up .

Top Bottom