What can you do about abandoned rundown house and property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I must have billions of rats as I'm surrounded by 17 acres of this. I rather like all the critters it draws. Better the critters than Nazi neighbors.

fe7e4f21.jpg

You know, you've got one hell of an over-developed sense of superiority. Is there ever a time when you post that you aren't tearing someone or something down?

Why is it bad that someone wants a dangerous and unhealthy place cleaned up?

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I find that this place is ironicallyamusing in a sad sort of way sometimes, this is one of those times...

It amazes me with how quickly some here are to destroy their Neighbors when the feel that their Rights may have been abused. Yet when their fellow man does something with their own Personal Property, and you feel it is unsightly you feel you must call the Wrath of the Government down on them...

Hypocrites...

Or is it just me?!

This is clearly not a property owner exercising their rights of property ownership, this is a property owner who has abandoned their property and has little regard for their fellow man (as you put it). Big difference IMO...

As much as some would like to think that my property= my rules, there are certain exceptions.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm just naturally curious. Is the owner in a nursing home and his kids are worthless? Is the owner underwater on the place and decided to abandon it? Is the owner willing to sell it to me for $100? Will the owner become a problem for me if I get the govt involved and he finds out? Could I give the owner advice on how to sell the place and possibly preserve some equity? Like I say, naturally curious. A rational human being does not walk away from an asset.

Well, now you're changing the parameters. OP apparently doesn't care why the owner isn't taking care of it. And if my only concern were making sure it wasn't dangerous/health risk, I wouldn't either.

And, yes, rational people walk away from assets all the time.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You know, you've got one hell of an over-developed sense of superiority. Is there ever a time when you post that you aren't tearing someone or something down?

Why is it bad that someone wants a dangerous and unhealthy place cleaned up?

Who's the superior one here? The one who wants to dictate what others do with their property or the one who wants to leave others be?

I choose not to live in an HOA type of community. If that's what you want, move to one, don't dictate it on me.

And obviously you don't read many of my posts. If I only wanted to take a sampling of yours, the same could be said about you.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    When I was growing up, on my street there were your avg income houses around, nice quiet neighborhood. So I decided to buy the lot next to my parents, built a house got married and had kids.

Out of 21 homes on our street, 14 of them are now rental properties. Its now gotten to the point when we hear sirens, or police lights lighting up our home, we just roll our eyes, and carry on our daily/nightly routine not even looking outside to see what is going on. The houses and mobile home trailers are falling down, druggies wondering around everywhere.

Its idiotic how my home town works, There is a house and and mobile home that are falling down and the grass is about 2-3ft high. 3 of us neighbors tracked down the owner to see about buying it, Owner wanted $120K!!! My home is the newest home on the block, (4yrs old) and is appraised at a little over 85k Retail value is around 60k if we are lucky due to all the druggies that live around the area and the ran down houses. City says its not their problem. However, there was a house on main street (main drag through down town) that the windows were boarded up and grass not cut. City promptly took legal action and forced the owners to sign the property over to them.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    If it bothers you, pick up the trash and mow the grass.

You know, I used to do that in between times of occupation but now there is so much trash, concrete, tree limbs, boulders and what have you that this picture doesn't show that I would need a tri-axle dump truck to haule it all away and the ground is so uneven from past attempted projects that you have to be carefull so you don't break an ankle or something. I may go over there tomorrow and get a picture of the really bad side.
    I have seen people back in there with pickup trucks full of trash but were gone before I could get their plate numbers.
    If I go over there tomorrow I'll try to decide what to do about it if the squatters look like their gone. If not I may just call the police and see what they say.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Who's the superior one here? The one who wants to dictate what others do with their property or the one who wants to leave others be?

That would be a big fat negative. I don't want to dictate what other people do with their property. But I do expect that when people choose to live in a locale that is governed by regulations or ordinances they abide by them. If the property owner in question wanted to let his property go to ****, perhaps HE should have done it in a place that didn't have expectation to the contrary. There is nothing Nazi or controlling about expecting people to perform the acts they've obligated themselves to.

I choose not to live in an HOA type of community. If that's what you want, move to one, don't dictate it on me.

Why did you bring this up? What relevance does this have to the issue? And where in the world did I or anybody else suggest that you should live in an HOA? :dunno:

And obviously you don't read many of my posts. If I only wanted to take a sampling of yours, the same could be said about you.

Oh, there's no doubt I can be a sarcastic, nasty *****. But I'm not the one claiming to be better than everybody else either.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That would be a big fat negative. I don't want to dictate what other people do with their property. But I do expect that when people choose to live in a locale that is governed by regulations or ordinances they abide by them. If the property owner in question wanted to let his property go to ****, perhaps HE should have done it in a place that didn't have expectation to the contrary. There is nothing Nazi or controlling about expecting people to perform the acts they've obligated themselves to.

Why did you bring this up? What relevance does this have to the issue? And where in the world did I or anybody else suggest that you should live in an HOA? :dunno:

Oh, there's no doubt I can be a sarcastic, nasty *****. But I'm not the one claiming to be better than everybody else either.

Who called for the regulations and codes? The landowners who want to be left alone or the busybodies who want to control the neighbors?

Care to cite my claims of superiority?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I grew up in a house that currently doesnt look much better than the one in the op. It was nice when my parents bought it but due to laziness, they let it go to pot. I and my brother inherited it. I wanted to give it to my neighbors but my brother wanted money for it. It appraised at $17k (I'd like to know what that appraiser was smoking) and we sold it for $5k.

To my knowledge, the neighbors never called the county and complained. Out here where I'm from, we choose to live here for privacy and space. My parents house is less than a mile and a half from mine and I'm not the least bit worried about how it affects my property.

I don't want a trailer park or the like next to me. But I realize that the power to tell them what to do with their land also can be used against me.

I just watched our church mission trip presentation yesterday they built 2 "houses" in a week that most wouldn't approve of neighbors having as storage sheds. Those new "home" owners are happy to have shelter and we worry about how well manicured the lawns are.

Top Bottom