What can you do about abandoned rundown house and property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Well, now you're changing the parameters. OP apparently doesn't care why the owner isn't taking care of it. And if my only concern were making sure it wasn't dangerous/health risk, I wouldn't either.

And, yes, rational people walk away from assets all the time.

How am I changing the parameters? OP asked what the proper action would be. I have seen people walk away from assets. (used to be in RE lending). I have never seen rationbal people walk awayt from an asset. Rational is the operative word. I have seen MANY people who are out of touch with reality and uninfluenced by facts. That's another story.

As an aside, about 10 years ago my wife and I searched for a rural home in north central IN. We looked at 32 properties (I kept track). There were a few that met our needs, but the neighboring properties were big time trash, junk cars, garbage, appliances in the front yard, houses falling down, etc. Of course that killed the deal for us. I remember the realtor telling us that this is a common problem.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi all, Well as a follow-up a young fellow bought this house from Fannie Maye for a really good price and is fixing it up to live in and is doing a real good job of it. New double plywood roof and shingles and a moisture barrier with new siding. He's going all out. He wants the outside done and ready to live in by this fall. Everything worked out for the best it looks like. :rockwoot:
    He's planning on putting a new deck on the back where the new door is. The post foundations for it are already there.

P1010003-1.jpg

Picture001.jpg

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    buy it

Well one option is to buy it, fix it and rent or sell it.

That is what I do, when funds permit. What better than being next door to your rental. You can probably buy it cheap, depending on condition and stuff now. It certainly looks abandoned and could probably be picked up at tax sale. (certain conditions apply)

I will mow the lawns of houses next door to my rentals just to help keep my properties looking nice. But that is just me. Something needs to be done with that house quickly though or it will need to be razed.

Oh nevermind, someone beat you to it.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a property next door to me that is apparently abadoned. No one is cutting the grass and the house looks trashed, it is full of trash and brush cuttings and there are (I believe) people squating in the house and on the property at times because a fellow is living in his car and he parks on the property. There are no lights on at night.
    What would be the proper action (if any) to take?
    More pictures.
    P1010012-1.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

I haven't read any responses yet, but if you can, I would suggest doing what I did in the same situation.
    I bought the house next door, gutted and remodeled it, and now have a nice rental with good tenants and a positive cash flow!

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Weeds:
    City of Indianapolis
    Department of Code Enforcement
    1200 Madison Ave., Ste. 100
    Indianapolis, IN 46225
    Fax: (317) 327-5174