What can you do about abandoned rundown house and property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I had the same problem. I bought the house, fixed everything and now, rent it out and have positive cash flow, a nice view out my window, and can control who my neighbor is. WIN-WIN

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Of course the owner apparently doesn't care about the property, but you still need to know who they are IMO. Then after determining their situation you start to escalate. You can check the courthouse records for true ownership, and liens. If their is a first mortgage holder, you may want to see what they think of this (if they are local, if not, then probably waste of time). Then if its not in a municipality, see what county codes exist to deal with this. I would stay on it until there is resolution. If taxes aren't being maintained, it could eventually go to a tax sale.

Why?

What can you possibly do that the city/county can't do?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have a property next door to me that is apparently abadoned. No one is cutting the grass and the house looks trashed, it is full of trash and brush cuttings and there are (I believe) people squating in the house and on the property at times because a fellow is living in his car and he parks on the property. There are no lights on at night.
    What would be the proper action (if any) to take?

P1010003-1.jpg
    If it bothers you that much.
    Buy it and clean it up.
    If you do not want to do that, well mind your own business... :popcorn:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yes, because if you ignore cancer it will go away.

Bad example...

The Cancer would be your problem to either fix or ignore.

The home and land on the other side of the Property Line is Someone elses apparently. Once again if you do not like the way the maintain there Property then buy it off of them so it is then yours to do as you please with it. If you do not want to buy the Property then you still have two choices. Move to a different Parcel yourself, or be quiet cause that dirt is not yours to do with it...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Cancer would be your problem to either fix or ignore.

As this rotting, infectious property in a problem to fix or ignore.

The festering property impacts others. The rotting property owner has a duty not to hurt others; he is apparently failing in that duty.

The impacted property owner near the cancerous property can complain to the government to protect his rights, or he can initiate private action in court against the diseased property.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Why?

What can you possibly do that the city/county can't do?

I'm just naturally curious. Is the owner in a nursing home and his kids are worthless? Is the owner underwater on the place and decided to abandon it? Is the owner willing to sell it to me for $100? Will the owner become a problem for me if I get the govt involved and he finds out? Could I give the owner advice on how to sell the place and possibly preserve some equity? Like I say, naturally curious. A rational human being does not walk away from an asset.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I find that this place is ironically amusing in a sad sort of way sometimes, this is one of those times...

It amazes me with how quickly some here are to destroy their Neighbors when the feel that their Rights may have been abused. Yet when their fellow man does something with their own Personal Property, and you feel it is unsightly you feel you must call the Wrath of the Government down on them...

Hypocrites...

Or is it just me?!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I find that this place is ironically amusing in a sad sort of way sometimes, this is one of those times...

It amazes me with how quickly some here are to destroy their Neighbors when the feel that their Rights may have been abused. Yet when their fellow man does something with their own Personal Property, and you feel it is unsightly you feel you must call the Wrath of the Government down on them...

Hypocrites...

Or is it just me?!
    Yep! I wonder how many of those who would call the .gov on every eyesore are the same ones here who call for smaller .gov.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

Hypocrites...

Or is it just me?!
    Guess you never had a neighbor with 10 dogs full of FLEAS & my renters call me cause they couldn't go outside of the house. I had to pay to have the yard spray, but the neighbor refuse to pay for his yard to be spray, so a month later, I had to spray the yard again:xmad: The city told the neighbor to clean the yard, he sold & left;)

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    As far as what the house looks like, I have no problem with that, looks like crap but isn't hurting anything. The yard should be cleaned up because that can attract critters.

Have an abandoned house across the street. I just cut the grass occasionally because I have to look at it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    As far as what the house looks like, I have no problem with that, looks like crap but isn't hurting anything. The yard should be cleaned up because that can attract critters.

Have an abandoned house across the street. I just cut the grass occasionally because I have to look at it.
    Bet that house has one hell of a R A T infestation:D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I must have billions of rats as I'm surrounded by 17 acres of this. I rather like all the critters it draws. Better the critters than Nazi neighbors.

fe7e4f21.jpg

Top Bottom