• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have never traveled light in my life. As I see it, you would not go golfing with only one or two clubs, so why limit yourself here?

You bring up a fair arguement, and I agree completely with the analogy of golf clubs all having their different uses. The part we have to keep in mind that we only carry golf clubs for a few hours or we put them on the cart. Post SHTF it's going to be a different situation and I doubt that we're going to have a cart. I really don't like the whole "1-gun" idea myself because I view mine as golf clubs capable of different tasks and responsibilities.

I see two different possibilites post SHTF:

Option A: Choas, looting, and life with out the consequence of a rule of law. I see this as more of a first phase of our upcoming economic collapse, but it's where the AK/AR & a long range rig is going to be worth it's weight in gold.

Option B: Period of time when people will have settled down and life will be focused on more of a survivability with trading and bartering. This is more of what I consider to be the second phase and it's where I see the arguements for the 10-22's for small game with an abundance of ammo in a stockpile.

The best compromise between the two different needs in my opinion is the AR with a 22lr conversion kit. I was slow to come around to the 22lr conversion kits, but I'm glad that I did.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    An idea re weapons from a LEO:

I subscribe to PoliceOne.com where author Richard Fairburn posted a recent comment. Might find some good advice in it. These are HIS opinions : After the Columbine attack, most police agencies trained some form of Rapid Deployment/Active Shooter Response. Many agencies have allowed the overall skills to become rusty and leave it up to the individual officer to prepare their own “kit.” So, you should be the one who does prepare a GO bag — or GO vest, as you prefer.
    The Fairburn Setup
    An Active Shooter kit is a balance of enough stuff to get you through a serious fight. I’ll go over my suggestions for a GO bag/vest; you can make your comments for additions/deletions. We learn from each other — I’ll bet there are some great ideas out there I haven’t yet heard.

I use a commercial bag for my prototype GO bag, but you should get whatever works for you. The size I like is MSRP @ $60. I like a shoulder-rig bag because the shoulder strap carries the bulk of the bag’s weight and a Velcro belt loop on the back will secure it on your belt during movement.

Many patrol officers use a tactical vest for ammo and their pistol, combined with a fanny pack for incidental supplies. A GO bag could be added to this.

Either system has advantages and disadvantages. In particular, a fanny pack with more than a few pounds of gear will droop badly unless rigged to a vest or shoulder straps.

The Ammo
    The primary thing you’ll need when going to an active-shooter gunfight is ammo for your long gun. If a handgun is all you have for such a fight, then you’re underprepared. A shotgun is better than a handgun, but a patrol rifle is what you need. Many high schools have hallways more than 100 yards long. You need a rifle. You may be up against a scared little punk looking to die in a blaze of glory. Or, you may run into a hornet’s nest populated by a group of terrorists bent on killing as many victims as possible for broadcast on the network news. Prepare for the worst and go in heavy, meaning 200+ rounds of rifle ammo as your combat load. I’ll describe the contents of my GO bag, understanding that a tactical vest/fanny pack combination would serve just as well.

My list starts with six 30-round M4 magazines, totaling a combat load of about 200 rounds counting the magazine in the rifle. I load all magazines two rounds short to make them easier to lock in place when the bolt is closed. My bag has two zippered side pouches which I load with two 30-round magazines forward and a 20-ounce drink bottle aft.

Under the main flap I have inserted a Maxpedition MaxP-9836 carrier that holds my four remaining 30-round magazines. The existing pockets in the pack will accommodate the same four magazines, but they rattle against each other, a problem eliminated by the insert. Ideally, your gear shouldn’t make much noise even when you jump up and down a bit. Stealth is a good habit to develop. I think your sidearm/spare ammo should be holstered elsewhere, where it is more quickly deployed if need be.

The Med Kit
    In the center section of the bag I stuff in a retail Med Pouch. It contains an Israeli battle dressing, CAT tourniquet, clotting sponges, chest seals, a naso-pharyngeal airway, a roll of med tape, a space blanket and nitrile gloves. Under the Med Kit I store a ziplock bag with a small supply of TP and baby wipes. Alongside the Med kit I stuff in two power bars. In the small pockets in the rear of the main compartment I carry a spare knife, flashlight batteries, a small waterproof notebook, pencil and ‘Sharpie’ pen, and a police whistle (great for commo/signaling in case of radio failure).

That leaves two zippered pouches on the outside of the bag’s main flap. In the front zippered pocket I carry a couple of 10-foot sections of 550-paracord, a lens-cleaning cloth, a small roll of orange surveyor’s tape, a stripper clip guide, and some band-aids and second skin.

In the remaining zippered pouch on the top flap I carry some insurance I learned from an old chopper pilot when I was in the Army, a 20-round magazine loaded with tracers. In addition to being 18 extra rounds for a worst-case scenario, the tracers allow me to visibly mark an adversary’s position, drawing supportive fire from my compatriots. I have clipped a small military first-aid pouch on the front molle straps of the pack which carries an real steel carabineer and two 10-foot loops of one-inch nylon webbing, which can be used to drag a downed officer to safety. The remaining molle straps securely hold a spare two-cell LED flashlight.

The Bottom Line
    My GO bag weighs about 12 pounds (fully loaded) and if the load were much heavier, it would work better in a three-day back pack, but that would compromise quick access in a fight. Your kit will be different than mine, customized to your personal needs. If you anticipate deploying into more rural areas, I would add a compass (or better yet, a small GPS unit) a small water purifier, and a fire starting kit (Bic lighter/lifeboat matches and tinder).
    How much will all this cost? Well, if you have to buy everything, including med kit, mags, and 200 rds. of premium 5.56mm ammo maybe as much as $500.

R3COIL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    NWI
    Just curious, why would weight be an issue if on the move in a hostile area? A Yugo AK and a chest full of mags would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside if moving in a denied area.

Whats your thinking on this?

The weight issue was in reference to a .22 of some sort. Although a .22 is a great option for a survival/small game weapon is would just weigh me down in a hostile environment given my other two weapon choices.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    The more I think about it the more I like my 4" S&W, 66-1 and my Rossi 92 lever action in 38/357. It's a great combo and doesn't carry the stigma of the black rifles in some peoples minds, it's more John Wayne.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bingley
    Hi-Point. When out of ammo, use as hammer. Disposable.
    Great. Also you can burn it to make black smoke.:D

LOL love the sense of humor with there "special" firearms

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    My ar and 1911 with a .22 bolt conversion for the ar and a brick of .22's, in case ya run out of 5.56. Girlfriend would have my sw40e and sks.

ironmanran

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Lafayette
    Easy! It doesn't matter what kind of SHTF senereo happens. The gun that should allready be on your side and the AR-15. Staying around the house or on the move throw on the chest rig/ tactical vest arm yourself and gather knowledge.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Easy! It doesn't matter what kind of SHTF senereo happens. The gun that should allready be on your side and the AR-15. Staying around the house or on the move throw on the chest rig/ tactical vest arm yourself and gather knowledge.

AR15 with a 5.56 and shotgun upper

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    SHTF:
    AR 15 (5.56/223)
    Ruger 10/22, currently trying to set up as Liberty Training Rifle config.
    Glock 19

Home Defense
    Remington 870 w/ LED, extended mag tube

Top Bottom