• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Im rollin with an AR, .308 bolt gun and my glock 40cal on my hip. Chest rig caries 12 30 round mags and has room for the ammo for the other two. Get some!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Id stick to NATO calibers. CZ p-01 9mm, SCAR 16 5.56mm, TC Icon .308 and last but definately not least, my trusty FN SLP MK1 12 ga.... not sure if 12 ga is a NATO round but it surely the most common shotgun round. the only reason i say stick to NATO calibers is bc no matter where you find yourself in the world you will probably find them. Also 7.62x39 is a good one too, may have to find room for an AK in my safe.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Depending on what, where and when I will have my stainless P-14 Para .45 ACP as it runs perfectly and is also hi-cap. My Siaga 12 or one of my Winchester 1300 pump guns.
    A smith and wesson based M-4 build up that also runs perfectly on whatever you feed it.

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If I'm faced with the possibility of having to scavenge for ammo, I'd want to have common calibers. I'd probably go with .223 AR, 9mm G26, S&W Model 60 (can shoot either .38 or .357), and Walther P22 for .22 caliber.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Glock 22, and a .22 rifle of some sort. After a backpacking weekend trip at Hoosier National Forest, my Glock started to even get heavy. I would rather pack foodstuffs, survival stuffs,etc rather than an assault rifle ,mags, and hundreds of rounds of ammo. Now if I'm primarily stationary, then ill use one of my bigger beauties. But on the road, .22 rifle and a sling for sure. Marlin 60 or Stevens 64

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    After reading this a little more, I was right. There's a lot of folks on here that are thinking more "combat" than "survival"

Why would a lot of there choices be considered combat only, if the shtf could I not drop a deer with an ar,ak,sks, or other military style weapon. My survival could incude many situations with combat not being out of the question. In a survival situation I want to carry firearms that have the most popular calibers and that I will have the best chance of scrounging parts for. This makes an ar chambered in 5.56 an easy choice. My kiddos can carry their 22's. Survival and combat ready weapons go hand in hand in my opinion since they are suited for both personal defense and hunting game to keep me and mine fed.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Why would a lot of there choices be considered combat only, if the shtf could I not drop a deer with an ar,ak,sks, or other military style weapon. My survival could incude many situations with combat not being out of the question. In a survival situation I want to carry firearms that have the most popular calibers and that I will have the best chance of scrounging parts for. This makes an ar chambered in 5.56 an easy choice. My kiddos can carry their 22's. Survival and combat ready weapons go hand in hand in my opinion since they are suited for both personal defense and hunting game to keep me and mine fed.

I know what you mean!

I want a rifle that can be used both for hunting and combat, yet not to crazy where if a spring breaks, I have to break someones arm and leg just to get that part.

2nd: I want a rifle that is easy to assemble, doesn't have many moving parts. If SHTF and I drop it in sand or water and it needs (X) number of parts, I want to be able to do it myself. Instead of taking it to a gunsmith.

side note: gun smithing would be a great skill, SHTF

3rd: I want a gun where ammo is accessible and cheap. 22lr would be great, not so sure about hunting at 100yrds. Or killing a wild hog with thick fatty skin. Good for varmints, not so good for larger game.
    - Also ammo that is cheap and available now for storage.

4th: I also want a good sidearm. With the above criteria taken in mind.

Glocks are popular and law enforcement use them as well as other personnel. So finding parts would be great.
    Also, the mags hold enough ammo for a good protection weapon.

I like the 1911, but i can't set my mind on buying one (yes i've fired one). I LOVE the way they shoot, but for a cheaper price i can get a Glock or XDM that can hold 17+ rounds in 1 mag.

2 1911 mags that hold....7 or 8 rounds each = 1 glock or XDM mag.

Also, there are many 1911 out there, finding parts for it might not be so easy.

So, so far i like the ruger GSR and the Ruger Mini 14 with the collapsible stock. I haven't fired the mini 14 yet.

Also, last point- You want a gun that can shoot more than just 1 caliber. Example: the Mini 14 can shoot both 223 and 5.56. So now you have 2 weapons in 1.

:twocents:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Update for me

Mosin Nagant ( tons of ammo at the local gun store.)

Springfield XD ( there is still allot of ammo at the local gun store for the Nagant revolver but still want something with more plentiful ammo)

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Great points, but a true SHTF scenario would almost certainly involve some combat as well. There are always going to be people willing to take advantage of societal breakdown.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Great points, but a true SHTF scenario would almost certainly involve some combat as well. There are always going to be people willing to take advantage of societal breakdown.

True. But you don't want to bring too much attention to yourself. If you're full on tactical
    tactical_vest_48_small.jpg

One shot in the head and you're down and out......and i just got your gun and gear.

Not that i would do that (unless for protection). But i'd rather carry a folding stock carbine with 2 mags that hold 20+ and a handgun that can hold +17 on each mag.
    thats 74 bullets. I doubt you'll find that much resistance.

Also, SHTF and i run to the store or my brothers and i have to hike it on foot, and some duche asks for my wallet- i'd handed over to him. As soon as he turns around I can pull my concealed side arm and :ar15:

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I've got all the combat I'll need if I'm not bugging out. I read the post as a "bug out" post. Not sure why, I guess I read a few other posts before this one. But if you're on the move, I'm telling you, carrying three guns and ammo is a chore. Its a real good idea to find one gun that you are very proficient with. For me, thats my .22 rifle. If I need other equipment, im sure I can acquire them along the way

rzh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    NW Indianapolis
    Seems like most of the posterd will be on the move without any family what so ever. You mean to tell me that every guy is going to be without family in this scenerio?
    No wife and kids, no girl friend and kids?
    Who can control when their love one goes into labor and when that new life is born?
    Wow twins? Tripplets?
    Does everyone have property in the hills or woods to retreat to?
    And if you did, who's to say someone else hasn't stumbled on to it while trying to get away from thugs and such?
    I just wonder how many of us folks from this forum will face a bullet from someone thinking that survivors who know to stay off of roads while on the move will be mistaken as attackers.

Just thinking.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    After reading this a little more, I was right. There's a lot of folks on here that are thinking more "combat" than "survival"

I'd be thinking both. If S truly HTF, there won't be a DNR out there saying that you can't shoot deer with rifle cartridges. ARs and AKs would make fine deer rifles if they were legal, and they combat rifles as well. Want more power? the M1A, FN FAL, and SCAR H are great 7.62x51 choices
    Can't say a bolt action .22 or a bolt action chambered in any caliber covers both roles.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I'd be thinking both. If S truly HTF, there won't be a DNR out there saying that you can't shoot deer with rifle cartridges. ARs and AKs would make fine deer rifles if they were legal, and they combat rifles as well. Want more power? the M1A, FN FAL, and SCAR H are great 7.62x51 choices
    Can't say a bolt action .22 or a bolt action chambered in any caliber covers both roles.

An M1A would kick some butt for a SHTF rifle! I'd rather have an M1 than an Ar anyday. Is that odd? lol

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mosin Nagant Remington 870 and a m&p 45

Never shot a Mosin. Seen a few. Do not understand the attraction but it is a personal choice I am sure. Seems like racing a model A Ford against a 69 Camaro S/S. No slam intended just not what I would consider in a SHTF scenario.
    For distance I would stay with my Remington 700 in 30-06. So many different
    rounds available and easy to reload. Busts 12 oz. coke cans @ 500 yds. in the right hands. (not every time with me but I am getting closer)
    Close work would be covered by the Siaga 12 with 20 rd. drum mag.
    M-4 for any serious group work and a high capacity Para Ordinance .45 for a side arm.

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    True. But you don't want to bring too much attention to yourself. If you're full on tactical
    tactical_vest_48_small.jpg

One shot in the head and you're down and out......and i just got your gun and gear.

Not that i would do that (unless for protection). But i'd rather carry a folding stock carbine with 2 mags that hold 20+ and a handgun that can hold +17 on each mag.
    thats 74 bullets. I doubt you'll find that much resistance.

Also, SHTF and i run to the store or my brothers and i have to hike it on foot, and some duche asks for my wallet- i'd handed over to him. As soon as he turns around I can pull my concealed side arm and :ar15:

Very true, I agree entirely, calling attention to yourself in such a situation would a) just be begging for someone to try to take advantage of your preparedness, and b) ensure that they would use overwhelming force in the attempt. There's much to be said for flying below the radar while still being prepared for most situations.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I guess if I had to bugout I would be expecting to get as far in the wilderness as I could, so I would take my Ruger 9mm SRc and 50rds and hopefully I have my AR-15 built by then with a .22 conversion kit. I'd take a thousand rounds of .22 for hunting and probably a hundred rounds or so of 5.56 "just in case."

I can't imagine wanting to carry any more than that.... ammo gets heavy quick so in a pinch I would want to travel lightly.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have never traveled light in my life. As I see it, you would not go golfing with only one or two clubs, so why limit yourself here?

Top Bottom