• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I oil it and grease the action every time I can. I have a 2 inch grouping at 100 yards (pretty good for a 13 year old.) and I can load the mag in 4 seconds. I try my best to run it like a pro.

Those are good achievements with the mosin no matter how you look at it. I commend you for training hard with what you have. If you are 13 years old, you have a lot of growing to do and no doubt will be just fine. :)

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    I'm going with a lever gun in .44 magnum for my long gun.
    1) I have one and I'm a pretty decent shot with it, at least within all of the ranges/situations I'm likely to need to use it in the event that shtf. I plan on avoiding combat as much as possible and to not get in million-yard sniper battles.
    2) The ammo capacity is pretty good. It can hold ten rounds, and I can easily top it off with ammo from a bandolier. Is it a semi-auto with detachable magazines? No. But I can afford it and don't need to invest in the magazines.
    3) It is very light weight.
    4) .44 magnum isn't exactly a wimpy round.

I'd also probably bring a couple handguns: an SR9 for social work and a 22/45 for small game hunting. I already know the 22/45 is more than adequate to bag some squirrels.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've rigged up a "Bandito" rig with a pair of Kimber Custom 2s w/6 8 rd mags, belt holstered Kimber Custom 2 w/2 8 rd mags, Armalite 10-4 220 rds, and New England 20ga youth w/100 rds. These are secured on my Bandito rig.
    Backpack with survival essentials and medium size nylon duffel bag with more rds and food.
    ONLY in case of bugging out as I'll hang at home and hope I can defend the fort 360 degrees as best a single old Marine can.
    My bugout plan has some pitfalls such as a couple of large rivers/bridges I'll have to cross in the Grand Cherokee which is modded to be an ample bugout vehicle as best possible for it's size limitations. I don't relish a 4 hour trip to my fall back position deep in the hills.
    I'd rather have a squad of ol' combat Marines with me but I guess I'll have to make due until they show up.
    I can adapt well, don't rattle easy, and think fast still for an old fart. I have planned to survive numerous SHTF scenarios and hopefully my training and preparation will lead to a positive outcome.

latham17

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    indy
    My SHTF guns for bugging out are a Remington 597 .22mag and a keltec pmr-30 .22 mag. I choose the. 22mag because it has enough power to drop any man or animal around here and 500 rounds fits into a small light weight package.
    Nalco General Services

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm going with a lever gun in .44 magnum for my long gun.
    1) I have one and I'm a pretty decent shot with it, at least within all of the ranges/situations I'm likely to need to use it in the event that shtf. I plan on avoiding combat as much as possible and to not get in million-yard sniper battles.
    2) The ammo capacity is pretty good. It can hold ten rounds, and I can easily top it off with ammo from a bandolier. Is it a semi-auto with detachable magazines? No. But I can afford it and don't need to invest in the magazines.
    3) It is very light weight.
    4) .44 magnum isn't exactly a wimpy round.

I'd also probably bring a couple handguns: an SR9 for social work and a 22/45 for small game hunting. I already know the 22/45 is more than adequate to bag some squirrels.

Lever action 44mag's never get the love they deserve on these types of threads. Mine wouldn't be my first choice for a SHTF rifle, but I sure wouldn't feel naked holding my lever 44mag also. I keep 500rounds of handloaded ammo for my 44 just in case it becomes my SHTF gun. Never doubt a 44mag in the hands that know how to use it.

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    Teddy, I'm glad someone else out there is a sympathizer. These sorts of threads often turn into "AR15 vs. AK47 vs. other old Soviet stuff I found vs .22 vs shotgun". The lever gun is the closest I can get to a do-everything rifle on a student's budget. And "do-everything" includes being very good, though possibly suboptimal, choice for a SHTF scenario.

Latham- good idea on the 22 magnum. But I think a good case could be made for the .22 hornet, which can be reloaded a couple times. I suppose negatives them both is ammo is not as plentiful as it may be with other calibers. But if you stock up on ammo, you're sitting pretty.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Teddy, I'm glad someone else out there is a sympathizer. These sorts of threads often turn into "AR15 vs. AK47 vs. other old Soviet stuff I found vs .22 vs shotgun". The lever gun is the closest I can get to a do-everything rifle on a student's budget. And "do-everything" includes being very good, though possibly suboptimal, choice for a SHTF scenario.

Latham- good idea on the 22 magnum. But I think a good case could be made for the .22 hornet, which can be reloaded a couple times. I suppose negatives them both is ammo is not as plentiful as it may be with other calibers. But if you stock up on ammo, you're sitting pretty.

I think his case for the 22mag has more to do with the pistols 30rd mags than being the preferred caliber.

latham17

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    indy
    the 30 round capacity is a plus but isnt the main reason i went with that round. i really like the .22mag because of its power to weight ratio. plus the rem597 is dead on accurate at 100 yards and could drop a deer from that distance if need be. actually the availablity of the .22mag round is very plentiful and can be found at every gun store, walmart and anywhere else that sells any kind of ammo. i dont have the ability to reload so the .22 hornet is out of the question, plus i like to have a pistol that shoots the same ammo.

I think his case for the 22mag has more to do with the pistols 30rd mags than being the preferred caliber.

IN1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    I live in the city but very close to a major highway but either way, it's not like I can just take off into the woods with a couple guns and a pack. It would require loading up my Explorer with as much as possible. First I would secure everything that wasn't going as much as possible as if I am coming back.

I would throw the AR and 12GA in the truck, Glock 34 would be on my hip and the Glock 19 possibly small of my back or in the center console and my .22mag bolt gun would be with me as well.

If I had to choose one pistol and one rifle, I guess I would have to say Glock 34 and my .22mag but I don't see any reason why I couldn't carry more since bugging out shouldn't mean roaming the never ending reaches of the earth, it's simply having to leave your home in an unexpected event for possibly an unknown amount of time...

Top Bottom