Wha? NEW Remington R51 in 9mm +P chambering?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I read back through the previous posts and noticed a common thread among many of the posters. Quite a few thought for the money it is worth looking at. At that time the MSRP was $389 and people were expecting real time prices to be at or below that.

I wonder how they feel now that it's up to $420 MSRP?

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I don't feel that $30 one way or the other when comparing it to the shield should be an issue. It's more of an issue on which firearm is more reliable and higher build quality for self defense. Trigger pull or feel for me is also another non issue when used for self defense. Felt recoil is another non issue because in the heat of a situation I don't think recoil is even perceived.

This isn't a range piece.....

For me it's all about quality and reliability. Money, recoil and trigger are all secondary.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just read the Guns and Ammo article. They show a MSRP of $420. Some earlier articles and I believe a video I saw from the Shot Show stated an MSRP of $389. Is it already going up?

BTW, the G&A article had a lot of really good things to say about it.

At $389 that puts it close to prices on Shield I am seeing now at $399. I did see some $369 deals on the Shield, but locally right now the best I have found is $399.( I can't remember Bradis price on the Shield, but it was competitive) I would like to handle one and preferably shoot one next to the Shield. If it handles as well and has lower felt recoil, I'd be up for getting one.

It would help to know what the wholesale price of the R51 is. Dealers will lower the price, in competition, to as low as they can purchase the items. These days are selling for cost plus fees to do the paperwork on a new gun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't feel that $30 one way or the other when comparing it to the shield should be an issue. It's more of an issue on which firearm is more reliable and higher build quality for self defense. Trigger pull or feel for me is also another non issue when used for self defense. Felt recoil is another non issue because in the heat of a situation I don't think recoil is even perceived.

This isn't a range piece.....

For me it's all about quality and reliability. Money, recoil and trigger are all secondary.

I see this reasoning. I to want the reliability and higher build quality. I wonder which one between the R51 and the Shield is better on both points. Trigger pull not a biggie either as long as it's reasonable. I shoot my M&P FS with a factory trigger with some smoothing I did and I am happy with it. I even have an Apex trigger but I took it off.

Felt recoil though is an issue. I want to shoot this pistol often when I go to the range so that I am very familiar with it. My plan is to always shoot my EDC gun when I go to the range. If I don't like the recoil, then I won't want to shoot it much. I must have a high number of rounds through whatever I will carry to have confidence in it.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I see this reasoning. I to want the reliability and higher build quality. I wonder which one between the R51 and the Shield is better on both points. Trigger pull not a biggie either as long as it's reasonable. I shoot my M&P FS with a factory trigger with some smoothing I did and I am happy with it. I even have an Apex trigger but I took it off.

Felt recoil though is an issue. I want to shoot this pistol often when I go to the range so that I am very familiar with it. My plan is to always shoot my EDC gun when I go to the range. If I don't like the recoil, then I won't want to shoot it much. I must have a high number of rounds through whatever I will carry to have confidence in it.

I have to agree, I guess I should have said within reason. Exactly why I sold my LCP because it was not unmanageable but just not something that was comfortable. I would really like to shoot the shield and the R51 side by side. Currently I have the Kahr CM9 and to this point find it to be a perfect balance of what I was in search of.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have to agree, I guess I should have said within reason. Exactly why I sold my LCP because it was not unmanageable but just not something that was comfortable. I would really like to shoot the shield and the R51 side by side. Currently I have the Kahr CM9 and to this point find it to be a perfect balance of what I was in search of.

Rep sent. And to add to the rep, I haven't even shot a Shield yet and I am so close to buying one. At the gun show yesterday I could have picked one up for $399 Plus tax. It took a little willpower to walk away.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

I carry the CM9 most days, and find it just about perfect. But the R51 looks pretty cool, and I'm not against giving it a try, just because I'm satisfied with the Kahr.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I read back through the previous posts and noticed a common thread among many of the posters. Quite a few thought for the money it is worth looking at. At that time the MSRP was $389 and people were expecting real time prices to be at or below that.

I wonder how they feel now that it's up to $420 MSRP?

To me that would not sway me, as it is still within the ball park of that class of pistols. I have always been amazed at the people who admit to settle for something that wasn't what they wanted to save a few bucks. To me that takes the transaction from a little more expensive to a total loss. I would not pay a price that would be in the range of a Target Match 1911. $400 to $500 would still be in acceptable range for the Remington. Now it is up to the manufacturer to make sure the quality is worthy.

Brazilbilly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Clay county
    I kind of like the way it looks. At least it's not a cookie cutter copy of a Glock like most new guns are today.
    If it turns out be be a good quality gun, I will probably get one in the future. But I'm not going to rush out and buy one as soon as they are available. I would rather wait and see if any flaws or defects happen with the first batch that comes out.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    The R51 can make shots .08 seconds apart, according to Remington. That will make it one of, if not THE fastest repeating pistol on the market. Professional shooters, according to Guns & Ammo, typically have .17 seconds split time between shots. That's a hair better than twice as fast as a pro.

That's one reason I can't wait to try this thing out. Damn the torpedoes, I'll be the guinea pig and will take the first one! I find this to be the most exciting designs to come along in many years.

I did that with the SR9 and LCP from Ruger, and while both were recalled, both never, ever gave me a problem, and both were fixed by Ruger.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The R51 can make shots .08 seconds apart, according to Remington. That will make it one of, if not THE fastest repeating pistol on the market. Professional shooters, according to Guns & Ammo, typically have .17 seconds split time between shots. That's a hair better than twice as fast as a pro.

funny. please don't use this as a reason to buy this pistol. that's some damn fine marketing right there. most autos cycle in the .07-.08 range, nothing new here. pros (and amature competitors on this forum) can shoot splits as low as .09-.012 with guns currently on the market. This pistol is not going to make you shoot faster because of its design.

may be a great gun, I'm not trying to take away from it, but don't buy it because of anything in the portion I quoted.

-rvb

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    funny. please don't use this as a reason to buy this pistol. that's some damn fine marketing right there. most autos cycle in the .07-.08 range, nothing new here. pros (and amature competitors on this forum) can shoot splits as low as .09-.012 with guns currently on the market. This pistol is not going to make you shoot faster because of its design.

may be a great gun, I'm not trying to take away from it, but don't buy it because of anything in the portion I quoted.

-rvb

Could it make you shoot faster if the design was such that you could get the pistol back on target quicker? Like maybe the lower bore axis would reduce muzzle flip allowing a shooter to keep it on target?

I agree, I wouldn't buy it because of the cycle rate.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Could it make you shoot faster if the design was such that you could get the pistol back on target quicker? Like maybe the lower bore axis would reduce muzzle flip allowing a shooter to keep it on target?

shortest answer.... you're going to have to already be capable of shooting that fast (accurately) to notice the difference...

-rvb

Top Bottom