Wha? NEW Remington R51 in 9mm +P chambering?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Size changes everything.

If it is not LC9/Shield sized, I have no use for it. I already have an SR9c that I'm happy with.

Bummer.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So it appears the R51 is approximately 1/2" longer than the Shield. I can't see that would matter much carrying IWB/OWB. The rest of the dimensions are very close.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    This just doesn't seem small to me.

1521517_692067174158415_809745450_n.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    funny. please don't use this as a reason to buy this pistol. that's some damn fine marketing right there. most autos cycle in the .07-.08 range, nothing new here. pros (and amature competitors on this forum) can shoot splits as low as .09-.012 with guns currently on the market. This pistol is not going to make you shoot faster because of its design.

may be a great gun, I'm not trying to take away from it, but don't buy it because of anything in the portion I quoted

-rvb

Where did I say I would buy one for that reason? I'm just reading about it and learning about it. I decided I wanted one long before I read that. Guns & Ammo shoots a lot of guns. I'm betting the gun actually cycles very quickly, due to its design. We'll see. Either way, I want one. If it were the same basic design as other autos, I probably wouldn't be so interested. Besides, at the range where I shoot, you can't shoot more than one shot every three seconds, anyway.

If the silhouettes are correct, it appears to have more room on the grip for fingers than some of the guns whose size is about the same. Being a single stack, it should be narrower, too. I mostly carry an SR9C, and love it. I've no plans to change that unless this thing shoots really well and converts me. However, I plan on having some fun shooting it and reading more about it. Maybe it will earn its place in the starting lineup, if it is reliable, comfortable, accurate, and conceals better than the SR9c.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Here's the response I received from Remington in regards to my inquiry about the release date:

The new Remington R51 9mm+P subcompact concealed carry pistol is in LRIP (low rate initial production). Early production units are being extensively tested to confirm design quality and durability. Over the next two weeks, we will complete testing on the initial pistols and ramp up component production. We expect first production units to ship to distributors in early to mid February. Retailers should have product by mid-February.

Thank you and best regards,
    Remington Customer Services

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not such a good review at all.

I wonder if Remington has the stomach or will to make the thing worth it.

I'm a bit of an idiot when i see $350 ish nib guns like this. I kind of hope I avoid seeing one priced to move. Disaster.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Interesting review. I wonder about the recoil though. If the R51 with it's low bore axis is "punishing", then how about the Shield with a higher bore axis and about the same weight? Wouldn't that be even more "punishing"?

I thought it looked interesting, but I have reservations about Remington pistols and I think I will pass. For now at least.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Interesting review. I wonder about the recoil though. If the R51 with it's low bore axis is "punishing", then how about the Shield with a higher bore axis and about the same weight? Wouldn't that be even more "punishing"?

I really don't now, but just spitballing felt recoil would also be influenced by the shape of the grip, any high spots (maybe the grip safety doesn't depress all the way?), etc. Maybe its funneling more recoil into the web of the hand and less into muzzle flip?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Man, I had been considering getting one of these, especially since they were talking about making one with a factory threaded barrel. After looking at the shooter's hands from the TAG review, my enthusiasm has majorly ebbed.

Maybe I'll get a Glock 42 when Storm Lake or someone makes a threaded barrel for it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Ok, so the reviewer saw one gun that may not have been reassembled correctly and proclaims all of Remington's people can't correctly assemble their guns? Judging him by his own standards, one could say that after thousands of rounds were fired by the gun media at Shot, and hearing of no complaints of slide bite, he gets his pistol and immediately gets bitten. One could then conclude that he doesn't know how to hold a gun properly.

I'll be interested to see other reviews. Just as easily as he dismisses a positive review by G & A, his could be dismissed, as well. I've found Guns and Ammo to be pretty accurate in their assessments, as they relate to my experiences with the same firearms. Heck, he's admitted time and again that he's had issues with Remington.

I am not going to buy what he's selling. I'm going to see for myself. There will be more reviews coming, I'm sure.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not such a good review at all.

I wonder if Remington has the stomach or will to make the thing worth it.

I'm a bit of an idiot when i see $350 ish nib guns like this. I kind of hope I avoid seeing one priced to move. Disaster.

I found that the wholesale price is $319 (plus shipping and other costs). Thus the gun would go from $349 to $389 depending on the store.

My question is what the gun feels like. My guess is that it is too light to handle .40 cal. But would make a good 9mm platform.

Top Bottom