• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Mackey, tried to ask this in another thread but it got lost!

Do PTs have prescribing rights currently, and if not, is there a bill currently in the pipeline to give prescribing rights? A friend and I were trying to figure it out.

You mean presciption of medications? Oh heck no. That's not going to happen. Even though most/all PT programs graduate their students with a PhD, it's a "clinical Phd" ... they are not physicians.

Now there was a recent law passed that gave people the right to have "direct access" to PT services. That is, you don't need to have a doctor's prescription to go to PT.

ALEXANDRIA, VA, April 30, 2013 — Today, Indiana Gov Mike Pence signed HB 1034, granting Hoosiers direct access to evaluation and treatment by a physical therapist (PT) without a physician referral. Ensuring a patient's choice in which health care professional to see and when has been a longtime goal of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) and its state chapters. Passage of HB 1034 signifies a landmark moment for the physical therapy profession in that all 50 states and the District of Columbia now allow patients to be evaluated by a physical therapist without a referral. With enactment of HB 1034, 48 states and DC also allow some level of treatment by a PT without a referral. The new law takes effect July 1, 2013.

For more information

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    You mean presciption of medications? Oh heck no. That's not going to happen. Even though most/all PT programs graduate their students with a PhD, it's a "clinical Phd" ... they are not physicians.

Now there was a recent law passed that gave people the right to have "direct access" to PT services. That is, you don't need to have a doctor's prescription to go to PT.

For more information

I was under the impression that that was the case, but my friend could have sworn up and down that ya'll could prescribe within your scope of practice. He suggested that that was to include things like NSAIDs, muscle relaxants, etc. He has a girlfriend in PT school, so for some reason I expected him to have some kind of clue :laugh:

Do you take pharmacology in school? I know I could probably look that up easily, but I'm lazy and you're right here.

Glad to hear about that bill, though. I did see that a while ago. I think things are trending (finally) towards non-physicians getting more recognition as part of a complete patient care team.

I think allowing more direct access to various aspects of health care is a win for everyone, but especially for patients. :twocents:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I believe (based on a quick google search) that in the UK they have prescribing rights for medications. I am sure they do not here in the US.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I was under the impression that that was the case, but my friend could have sworn up and down that ya'll could prescribe within your scope of practice. He suggested that that was to include things like NSAIDs, muscle relaxants, etc. He has a girlfriend in PT school, so for some reason I expected him to have some kind of clue :laugh:

Do you take pharmacology in school? I know I could probably look that up easily, but I'm lazy and you're right here.

Glad to hear about that bill, though. I did see that a while ago. I think things are trending (finally) towards non-physicians getting more recognition as part of a complete patient care team.

I think allowing more direct access to various aspects of health care is a win for everyone, but especially for patients. :twocents:

Man that's almost funny to thing that PTs could prescribe meds. It's possible the guy's gf doesn't have a clue. Look it ... when they start school they're total newbies and don't know as much as they think they know (we've all been there).

I'm thinking that most insurance companies would balk at actually allowing their patients to go directly to a PT. So even though there's a right ... it may not be happening much except in private pay situations. It kinds of takes pressure off me, if, say, I treated someone as a favor on the side. Before when might have done it (not saying that I did), I was probably (or would have been) violating my license / scope of practice. I typically won't treat people except in rare cases when someone has benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (bppv). ... I can fix that in one session (it's an inner ear problem due to debris that can be cleared with positional changes).

Oh, and yes we take a pharmacology course. But not near as much as nurses do.

I believe (based on a quick google search) that in the UK they have prescribing rights for medications. I am sure they do not here in the US.

That's interesting ... thanks for looking that up.
    I'm half British so maybe I can prescribe some half assed drugs.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I had the soap in mouth treatment a few times.

My mom had a vicious right hook, I preferred the soap.

My Mom is 5' 1 1/2" and 105 lbs (when your barely over five foot tall you add the 1/2 inch)
    I was 15 and almost six foot tall and in an argument with my Mom I dropped the f bomb. She walked up to me with teeth clinched and fists balled up and through her clinched teeth she said "Say it again, I dare you to" I never have been good at passing up a dare so I said it again. She swung up and hit me in the mouth and I could feel the lip starting to swell and the salty taste of blood. She then said "Now say it again" I was able to pass up the dare on the second attempt. She is now 74 years old and if she thought I needed a smack in the mouth she would do it again. Sometimes respect is given and sometimes it is demanded. I am still scared of that woman today and have thanked her for raising me to respect her and others as well.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    My Mom is 5' 1 1/2" and 105 lbs (when your barely over five foot tall you add the 1/2 inch)
    I was 15 and almost six foot tall and in an argument with my Mom I dropped the f bomb. She walked up to me with teeth clinched and fists balled up and through her clinched teeth she said "Say it again, I dare you to" I never have been good at passing up a dare so I said it again. She swung up and hit me in the mouth and I could feel the lip starting to swell and the salty taste of blood. She then said "Now say it again" I was able to pass up the dare on the second attempt. She is now 74 years old and if she thought I needed a smack in the mouth she would do it again. Sometimes respect is given and sometimes it is demanded. I am still scared of that woman today and have thanked her for raising me to respect her and others as well.
    My mother was 4'8" . I didn't relize how itty bitty she was until she was dying in the hospital and I picked her up to scoot her up in the bed. She was by far the authoritarian in our family. When mom said jump, we asked how high! She ruled the nest with equal part iron fist and lots of hugs. She raised 5 boys, and thou we've had our troubles with keeping ourselves on the straight and narrow, I know I am a better man for her guidance and wisdom. Like they say " big things come in small packages" damn Glueman, done got something in my eyes!:(

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've never gotten it in the face, but I've gotten the mouth washed out with soap and the paddling (including the "don't cry or I'll give you something to cry about").

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Reminds of when I was a kid. My older brother and were close, still are to this day. But man, we used to get into some knock down drag outs.

If everyone had the same opinions and outlook on life, what would be the point in discussion, it would be pretty darn boring. But in spite of all the heated debates around here, I have to believe that if the SHTF, these guys would be the first to back you up.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I've never gotten it in the face, but I've gotten the mouth washed out with soap and the paddling (including the "don't cry or I'll give you something to cry about").
    That was my dad's fav saying, while he was beating me with a shovel he'd be yelling " Don't cry, don't you cry!" I'd be like , "we'll stop hitting me then ***hole!" Then he would hit me more! lol I deserved it.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Mark 1911 said But in spite of all the heated debates around here, I have to believe that if the SHTF, these guys would be the first to back you up.

I'd love to think that, but if someone was an ***hole here, they would be the last person I'd look to if SHTF. (I haven't read the last few pages of this thread, so I'm not referring to anyone in particular at all.)

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I believe that is why the kids don't have any fear of consequences now a days. They feel like the parents can't spank them or smack them in the mouth for dropping the f bomb on their parents. There sure wasn't any shootings and kids punching people in the face for no reason like there is today. When my kids were at home I told them that if they felt like I was was abusing them then they should call LEO. I told them that when they call LEO that they will go with LEO and live someplace else because I'm not fit to raise them. I never once got threaten that they would call LEO. They are all parents now and have thanked me for being the parent that "Ruined their life" when they were young. If kids don't think your ruining their life then you need to stop being their friend and be a "PARENT"

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Reminds of when I was a kid. My older brother and were close, still are to this day. But man, we used to get into some knock down drag outs.

If everyone had the same opinions and outlook on life, what would be the point in discussion, it would be pretty darn boring. But in spite of all the heated debates around here, I have to believe that if the SHTF, these guys would be the first to back you up.
    100% agree , I think what makes this particular thread different ,is that it does show that we don't have to all think alike or act alike to have a little fun. Hell, Glueman will tell ya that he and I didn't exactly get off to a great start, but now he's one of my favorites here. Ya just can't take things personally. Sooner or later we'll agree on something!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom