• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Over the course of my life, I've had different "message shirts" that have Marine logos or sayings on them that I've either bought or was given as a gift...like "Marine Sister" or "Marine Aunt" or "I ♥ my Marines" and stuff like that.
    These ^ are not the types of shirts I'm asking about. I'm talking about someone wearing something that just says "Marines", "Air Force", "Navy", or "Army" on it...that seems to lead people to think that's what the wearer is, even if they've never been in the military a day in their life and don't have family or friends that have been either...
    Add a chain and a pendant that at first glance from a distance looks like dog tags, but really isn't.
    Kosher or not?
    Poser or just a fan?
    Should do or should not?

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    It is something I wouldn't do. I do have a couple army shirts given to me by buddies that were in. I wear them, but no dog tags. To me, those type of people are posers. But, on the other hand, I have friends that choose to not carry or own :dunno: guns. That ability to make our own decisions is one of the great things about the good 'ole US of A! :rockwoot::rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I think that falls into the same category as the "FBI" and "CIA" hats...

Most of the time, it is fairly obvious when someone is in the armed services or one of those agencies. They generally tend to carry themselves, dress, and act in strange ways that are drilled into their minds.

Just wearing a hat or a shirt does not truly imply that you are impersonating that authority, since you are not attempting to use it as a credential to assert any special privilege or power. No military base is going to let someone in without military ID, Army emblem t-shirt or not.

It is also common for recruiters to hand out t-shirts with armed forces prints or emblems, and a lot of the time you see people running in them that are not per say in the military currently, but are going through the recruitment process.

The dog tags have kind of taken on their own civilian meaning for some reason. People in the military look at dog tags a lot differently than as a fashion item.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    There is a group of 4 guys(we're like brothers) and we spent as much time together as possible. One of the guys joined the Army a couple years back. He has given a couple t-shirts away that get worn(usually under a hoodie or something). Our friend that is in the Army had a couple sets of dog tags made(they don't get worn).

With that said, I don't see an issue if someone wears the shirt or even dog tags as long as they don't pass themselves off as military. If someone brings it up because "you" wear branch shirts or dog tags, I'd tell them it is in support of those in the military especially friends and family.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    I think people can usually tell if someone is in the service or not. I've worn shirts with NASCAR logos and have never been asked for my autograph. I don't see any problem for wearing the logos, in my opinion it shows support.

I'm a fat guy and I have a shirt that says "personal trainer". Nobody has ever asked for training lessons.
    I think most people get the joke, lol

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I think people can usually tell if someone is in the service or not. I've worn shirts with NASCAR logos and have never been asked for my autograph. I don't see any problem for wearing the logos, in my opinion it shows support.

I'm a fat guy and I have a shirt that says "personal trainer". Nobody has ever asked for training lessons.
    I think most people get the joke, lol

That's just a little bit different. NASCAR never put their butts on the line for me or mine. Know what I'm sayin'?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think people can usually tell if someone is in the service or not. I've worn shirts with NASCAR logos and have never been asked for my autograph.

I got asked once, in all seriousness, if I was in the NHL (actually, if I played for "that sports team") because I was wearing a Red Wings jersey. Up until that point, she had been calling me "Mr. Osgood" (I had been wearing a Chris Osgood jersey...) Granted, the asker was a little old lady down the street, but still...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I cannot speak for the Other Vets here and about. However, I do not mind someone wearing the Uniform and accouterments that go with being in. I do have a Problem with People who claim to be what they are not though. I feel this is what most of the Vets will probably tell you also...

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I had some squadron shirts from basic that were basically new but I no longer fit in, so I gave them to a GF. I guess she said someone gave her **** for wearing them one day. I personally don't care as long as the person who is wearing them is honest nad not trying to tell everyone that he was a marine, pararescue, government ninja assassin or whatever.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I think there's a big difference between someone who simply wears a T shirt that says "USMC", and someone who wears a T shirt that says "USMC Veteran". Mistaken ID is easy to do.... I passed a kid going in the opposite direction the other day, and I had my "why don't you dress like a real person, instead of all those chains, make-up, and purple hair" face, all ready to deploy, when the kid looked up at my cover and said, "thanks for serving"

... so much fer that.......

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I don't have a problem with it unless you're scamming people like this clown.

86802460-22221824.jpg

Fake Soldier: Panhandling soldier impersonator arrested again - fox59.com

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't see a problem with it. As long as you dont lie and say you ARE in the military.

I had 2 shirts that said Navy and Marines. I used to wear them a lot. I used to even get asked if I WAS in the Marines. I would always reply, "Nope. Just showing my respect".

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I have "Army" shirts (somewhere) that were given to me, I don't wear them, even though I served in the Army. :D I say, wear what you want. If someone has the dog tags, shirt, bumper sticker, etc, and never has served then yes they are a "poser", unless their spouse is in, or has served. Now a Marine might take offense at this. ;)

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I usually never worry about what people wear. Most of the military related clothing is fan-boy stuff. No harm. I'd rather see that than a "Che" shirt any day.

Poseurs bumping around in full uniforms who are obviously not in service is another matter entirely...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I occassionally get asked what branch I was in when I wear my camo fatigue jacket. My response is that I didn't serve, my dad did, 25 years. I wear it as a reminder to myself of people like him that make life easier for the rest of us. Kinda corny but nobody has ever pushed it further.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    a thsirt isnt really a big deal to me. ive lost probably a dozen assorted pt/unit shirts to miscellaneous women all over the place. i hope it brings up awkward conversations with current boyfriends too.

dog tags are a different story. i think its a little cheesy even when service members wear theirs.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    It kinda reminds me of a wally world story ...lol

I wear camo alot most of the cargo style pants I like come in camo .

I was walking through wally world one day a Kid (maybe 21or22) stops me while he is walking with his girlfriend ( or wife ?) he ask
    " are you going hunting today?" to witch i reply "No"

He smiles at his girl and then ask "why in the world would anyone were Camo unless they were going hunting or in the military ?"

the whole time Im smiling because he is wearing an Indianapolis Colts Manning jersey .

So I wink at his girl and ask him . "Why would anyone waer Mannings Jersey Unless they were in fact Manning or were getting Boned by him ?"

His girl Broke into a Very LOUD Belly laugh as I winked at her agian and walked off .

Top Bottom