• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I cannot speak for the Other Vets here and about. However, I do not mind someone wearing the Uniform and accouterments that go with being in. I do have a Problem with People who claim to be what they are not though. I feel this is what most of the Vets will probably tell you also...

:yesway: As long as people do not try to act like they where in, when they where not. I really do not have a problem. Acting like you served, when you did not. To me is a disgrace the Military and to this country as a whole.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I don't like to see medals of valor and Purple Heart Medals for sale at gun shows....or anywhere else for that matter.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I don't like to see medals of valor and Purple Heart Medals for sale at gun shows....or anywhere else for that matter.

this :+1:

I haven't served a single day in the military other then as a daughter/wife. I have THE upmost respect for anyone who has served, even if it wasn't in combat. I have one of the gray PT Army shirts I wear almost everywhere... and I gladly tell people I didn't earn it when they ask if I'm military. On the gear that I think was the real question for this thread...wear it with no rank, don't try to pose or pretend you were in. No head to toe camo unless you're going hunting. Wear it to fit properly. Don't wear rank/insignia. When I was growing up my dad gave us extra cold weather gear to wear when we did our barn chores. The FIRST thing he did though was remove every single rank/insignia/name badge on them. It is good, high quality gear, it should be used. My ex is planning on getting some of his unit patches sewn on a jacket for our son, but it'll be obvious what that's about.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head

I agree with you completely on this:yesway:

While I don't ever get into the whole military/non-military thing but I do not agree with people wearing a uniform they did not earn regardless if its military, police, fire, or whatever. However, at a veteran's honor service at my church a teenager wore his grandpas Korean War era uniform while his father read the story of the grandpas career. :patriot:That I have no problem with as it was a tribute and not an impersonation.

OP, I really don't see the point of the question if you are talking about shirts that say Army or Navy as that should be up to the person who is wearing it. A real uniform with medals and insignia is still up to an individual but would be in bad taste. I guess I never seen the point of wearing a uniform that isn't earned but a simple T-shirt of something they may support or know someone that is in should have no ill will.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    All who serve deserve respect. I just think there needs to be a clearer distinction of danger and sacrifice. The best way I can tell a poser is that they tell their war stories unsolicited.

I was asked if I wanted a military burial for my dad and I declined for 2 reasons. 1, I don't think he would have wanted it. 2, he joined the guard to avoid the Viet Nam draft. I don't think any less of my dad for his choice as I believe the government should have ever put him in that position for that war.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    All who serve deserve respect. I just think there needs to be a clearer distinction of danger and sacrifice. The best way I can tell a poser is that they tell their war stories unsolicited.

I was asked if I wanted a military burial for my dad and I declined for 2 reasons. 1, I don't think he would have wanted it. 2, he joined the guard to avoid the Viet Nam draft. I don't think any less of my dad for his choice as I believe the government should have ever put him in that position for that war.

totally agree. My dad, brother and ex all don't talk about what they saw (one in Viet Nam, the other 2 in Iraq a combined total of apx 5 yrs). They don't see a need to.

Before he deployed the first time, when we were still married, the ex told me that if something happened to me, he wanted a plain wooden box and pressed BDUs for his burial. NO honors, nothing. I would've wanted him to have everything he deserved but would've honored his wishes. THEY are the hero's, give them what they deserve both in life and death :patriot:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Don't get me wrong, vets deserve all the honor in the world. I just don't like it when people go out of their way to have praise heaped on them. We rarely see WWII vets talk about their service and usually they brush off any praise you give them.

My dad is a Vietnam vet, most people do not know that and he is very happy with that. He did what he had to do.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    My dad is a Vietnam vet, most people do not know that and he is very happy with that. He did what he had to do.

That is the type of person I respect way more then people who have a since of entitlement for their time in the military. I personally know two men that I have known most of my life and just found out a couple years ago that they were both in Vietnam. They don't talk about it or want people to tell them "good job" or "thanks" since they did it for their country and not for any thank yous. (Both of their words and not mine) Also, my girlfriend was in the navy for 8 years and doesn't want acknowledged on Veteran's Day since she did it because she wanted to and not because someone would thank her or her father was in the military. (Again her words and she will verify this) That is awesome to hear AJG357 and that is what a hero is about...doing something without needing to be acknowledged or advertising it to everyone.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Those also serve who are occupying the 90% of non-combat-arms positions. I spent almost 39 years in the military in one capacity or another and only ended up spending 6 weeks in a combat zone. Not my choice, but the "needs of the service". Anyone who has done their initial enlistment or more is a "veteran" in my book, whether they went to war or not. And thanks for your service.

HA hornady 2 vs 1 we win
    blackhawk i agree with you 150% and that fact of being enlisted cant be argued with.
    blackhawk thank you for your service

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    You served with honor.

When you raise your right hand to swear," That I ................ do solemnly swear to ----------- ". You have written a blank check to your country payable in any amount up to and including your life. Whether or not you are actually called upon to enter into combat matters not at all. You have placed yourself under orders and the choice of our elected representatives and your superiors will govern whether or not that check is cashed. Never be ashamed of having placed yourself in that honored position. :patriot:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    When you raise your right hand to swear," That I ................ do solemnly swear to ----------- ". You have written a blank check to your country payable in any amount up to and including your life. Whether or not you are actually called upon to enter into combat matters not at all. You have placed yourself under orders and the choice of our elected representatives and your superiors will govern whether or not that check is cashed. Never be ashamed of having placed yourself in that honored position. :patriot:

I don't think he is saying anything about being ashamed. From what I read he is just saying that he does consider his service the same as the people who fought in the trenches as WWI, or stormed the beaches in WWII, or the jungles of Vietnam. It is his time in the military to decide how it should be valued to him and not the rest of us.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    Having spent 18 months in Vietnam I sometimes have problems seeing people wearing shirts with a unit patch or one with a CIB showing, (Combat Infantry Badge) or jump wings, or maybe some or all of it. I talked with this young man maybe 25 or so, and he wore a field jacket that had a 101st ABN patch on it with the jump wings on it also. We got into a conversation about his service and after the buls&%t came out I new he was telling a big story. He was telling me he was a field medic. Just so happened that was my military MOS. I served as a field medic in Vietnam for 18 months so he wasn't going to pull my leg no longer. He was in Iraq, did this and did that. Saved so many lives.... I listened to his story for awhile then I laid into his sorry ass. When he new the stories of bravery weren't going to fly he took off saying he had to get ready to return to Iraq for his second tour. Following him to the door I kept on him until he stopped and damn near cried and said how sorry he was for telling lies and he wanted to thank me for my "REAL" service to my country. I asked why he felt he should tell such stories and he said he felt wearing the field jacket that it made him feel good as others had heard his stories and people thanked him and it made him feel good. As we talked out side Cracked Barrel he stopped by the trash can and took off the field jacket and tossed it in the trash can and said he wouldn't do it any more. He shook my hand and thanked me and off he went. After it was over, driving down the road I thought that I hoped what I said to him would really make him think about those people that really did serve, those that stand guard to protect our freedom every day 24/7. So as I see others wearing things like that I really hope that it is a badge of honor to wear such clothing. I'm proud for what I did,and I know I made a difference in a war that was not liked by almost every one. It so much different today. The country stands by our men and women. In my time we were spit on, called names. I remember walking home from South Bend airport to Elkhart wearing full field dress and "Not one" person gave me a ride. That was a long 18 mile walk.....Wear it with pride and be real~~I'm proud of our men and women today, very proud for there service to this country. Freedom does not come cheap!!!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't think he is saying anything about being ashamed. From what I read he is just saying that he does consider his service the same as the people who fought in the trenches as WWI, or stormed the beaches in WWII, or the jungles of Vietnam. It is his time in the military to decide how it should be valued to him and not the rest of us.

This. Everyone should be proud of their service. I will not dishonor those who made the ultimate sacrifice by putting myself on their level.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Having spent 18 months in Vietnam I sometimes have problems seeing people wearing shirts with a unit patch or one with a CIB showing, (Combat Infantry Badge) or jump wings, or maybe some or all of it. I talked with this young man maybe 25 or so, and he wore a field jacket that had a 101st ABN patch on it with the jump wings on it also. We got into a conversation about his service and after the buls&%t came out I new he was telling a big story. He was telling me he was a field medic. Just so happened that was my military MOS. I served as a field medic in Vietnam for 18 months so he wasn't going to pull my leg no longer. He was in Iraq, did this and did that. Saved so many lives.... I listened to his story for awhile then I laid into his sorry ass. When he new the stories of bravery weren't going to fly he took off saying he had to get ready to return to Iraq for his second tour. Following him to the door I kept on him until he stopped and damn near cried and said how sorry he was for telling lies and he wanted to thank me for my "REAL" service to my country. I asked why he felt he should tell such stories and he said he felt wearing the field jacket that it made him feel good as others had heard his stories and people thanked him and it made him feel good. As we talked out side Cracked Barrel he stopped by the trash can and took off the field jacket and tossed it in the trash can and said he wouldn't do it any more. He shook my hand and thanked me and off he went. After it was over, driving down the road I thought that I hoped what I said to him would really make him think about those people that really did serve, those that stand guard to protect our freedom every day 24/7. So as I see others wearing things like that I really hope that it is a badge of honor to wear such clothing. I'm proud for what I did,and I know I made a difference in a war that was not liked by almost every one. It so much different today. The country stands by our men and women. In my time we were spit on, called names. I remember walking home from South Bend airport to Elkhart wearing full field dress and "Not one" person gave me a ride. That was a long 18 mile walk.....Wear it with pride and be real~~I'm proud of our men and women today, very proud for there service to this country. Freedom does not come cheap!!!

For what it's worth, and being a total civilian it is probably not much, I hated the VN war because of what it did to our country and how our soldiers were treated. I did not serve because I was not drafted. If called, I would have gone. I am deeply thankful to those who did go, and every time I meet one who did, I let them know I appreciate their sacrifice. Thanks, Mike, for your service. I wish I had been there to give you a ride on that long walk home.

BTW, I will not wear military logos, but I do wear a set of dog tags. My son purchased them for me when he was in the Army Reserve. I wear them because I travel all over Asia and to many Muslim countries to do religious work. If something happens to me on the way, I want the local yokels to be able to identify my sorry butt and let my family know where the pieces are buried.

To the men and women who served or still serve, THANKS. MAY GOD BLESS YOU. MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    After reading these posts I will weigh in.

I have no problem with civilians wearing civilian gear that advertises a military service as long as its not being done to obviously disrespect said service.

I do have a problem with anyone wearing a uniform item as civilian attire. If you have a set of cammies and no military insignia on it then its not a uniform.

I do have a problem with anyone that wants to say they served and didn't. As far as who is a vet, if you have an honorable discharge then you are a vet.

I'm retired USMC and have had Marines not on active duty ask me to get them utility covers from the PX. If you served then you should know better. Wearing any part of a uniform in an improper manner is disrespectful and a violation of uniform regulations.
    I have several civilian caps that have Marines printed on them and wear them proudly. If you want to show your support you should wear something like that.

And I don't mind playing the card game either. If your a Marine then you should have ID on you.

Top Bottom