• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Okay thanks for all of the responses. Here is my summary after reading most of them.

Weapons are firearms and firearms are generally weapons.
    There are other weapons other than firearms.
    Weapon can be a verb.
    Firearms, knives, screwdrivers and hammers are all tools.
    Tools and others can be weapons.

I would agree that firearms were originally and are mostly created as weapons however in current times there are firearms that are created specifically for sports that are not weapons or intended to be weapons.

When I carry a handgun, I do carry a weapon. I do understand however that people that are not 2nd amendment types and politicians get un-nerved by the term weapon. There are better alternatives that can be used depending on your audience.

Depending on who I am talking to, I will opt to use the word sidearm, firearm, and yes weapon.

If will let people object if they like, I will leave the thread open but at this time I think the horse is dead.

Thanks....:yesway:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I apologize if this has already been said, but I was unwilling to read all 9 pages:

The spelling nazis have become grammar nazi's too. Next week lets discuss proper use of the semi colon.

Read this with humor, I am not trying to be mean.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    SavageEagle,

It is a dedicated free pistol, and no you may not have it for free:D The sport is called free pistol, because the guns are pretty much free of any rule restrictions. The gun is a Morini model 84 with electronic trigger. It is in .22 LR caliber and is a single-shot. It is used in international pistol shooting (shooting is an Olympic sport) where one shoots 60 shots for record, one-handed and unsupported, at a bullseye target placed 50 meters away. It is the most challenging precision shooting with a handgun that I have ever done.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    weapon
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English wepen, from Old English wæ¯pen; akin to Old High German waffan weapon, Old Norse vapn
    Date: before 12th century
    something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy

weapon
    Function: transitive verb
    Date: before 12th century
    arm

Sounds to me like your friend likes to play at semantics. :dunno:
    Your use of "weapon" is just fine and is as correct as "firearm".

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    SavageEagle,

It is a dedicated free pistol, and no you may not have it for free:D The sport is called free pistol, because the guns are pretty much free of any rule restrictions. The gun is a Morini model 84 with electronic trigger. It is in .22 LR caliber and is a single-shot. It is used in international pistol shooting (shooting is an Olympic sport) where one shoots 60 shots for record, one-handed and unsupported, at a bullseye target placed 50 meters away. It is the most challenging precision shooting with a handgun that I have ever done.

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out sometime. I have only been to the Friday Night Steel shoot, and that was only once. I was involved in shooting in Boy Scouts growing up and with a .22 I was a pretty good shot. We used to skeet shoot at our camp with some nice 20ga break action, but for the life of me can't remember the model/make. My favorite shoot was at Philmont Scout Ranch, NM. The most beautiful Country and the most beautiful O/U's I've ever shot!

I've only recently really focused on handguns, although I would love to stick with Rifles.

BTW, I meant no offense. Thanks for the explanation though. I always wondered what kind of shooting sport those were for!

:rockwoot:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out sometime. I have only been to the Friday Night Steel shoot, and that was only once. I was involved in shooting in Boy Scouts growing up and with a .22 I was a pretty good shot. We used to skeet shoot at our camp with some nice 20ga break action, but for the life of me can't remember the model/make. My favorite shoot was at Philmont Scout Ranch, NM. The most beautiful Country and the most beautiful O/U's I've ever shot!

I've only recently really focused on handguns, although I would love to stick with Rifles.

BTW, I meant no offense. Thanks for the explanation though. I always wondered what kind of shooting sport those were for!

:rockwoot:

No offense taken. I've been to NM a few times. There is some great country there and some of the nicest folks I've ever been around. I shot in a turkey shoot at T or C. Turkey shoots there are completely different affairs than what we have around here. I've been mostly involved in pistol shooting, but I've recently started dabbling with rifle. It's fun to try something new.

sundogg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Osceola
    I use the term weapon because when I was in the army in the early 70's if we used any other term we were in deep s--t. Bill

Longshot7mm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I have seen free pistol shot before and it is pretty interesting. If you think that that is precision you should try 500 meter half-size silhouette. Largest target out there is about the size of a housecat at 500. We do it with open sight handguns and it is serious fun. When I first saw your picture I thought that the free pistol was that Russian IZH airpistol.

Top Bottom