• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The term "weapon" is a carryover from the military. Their hand and shoulder fired guns are weapons to them, as well as, their bayonets (Do they still issue those?). The training in the military must emphasize killing. Remember: "What is the spirit of the bayonet?" It isn't easy to get most soldiers to kill another human being, so the military must constantly train their folks towards that goal. I don't use the term weapon to describe my guns. I have some specialized match guns that are good for little else, but punching holes in paper. I have others that I carry for personal protection. At the NRA matches I attend, the rulebook advises the range officers to refer to the firearms as "guns", i.e. "slides back; magazines out; cylinders out; guns on the bench". I usually use the terms, guns, rifle, shotgun, pistol, and revolver. I less frequently use the term firearm.

Wolfman said that the 4H taught the kids not to use the word weapon. I think that is excellent advice. One of the problems we gun owners have with winning over the non-gun owning general public, who mostly live in urban areas, is that they have a negative perception of firearms. This is hammered into them day in and day out through movies, tv, and the news media. They rarely see guns used for less violent purposes, like hunting and formal target shooting.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I do believe that the #1 Item used for murder is a knife and the #1 item used for suicide is a rope. I would have to agree that the #1 item used for war /hunting & basic survival is a gun. ALL items are Tools commonly used. And have been used in one form or another for the whole history of mankind. It started as vines and fiber ropes... razer sharp pieces of flint. And throw spears, rocks, darts and eventually bow-&-arrow. Basic tools all around us.. You can label anything a weapon really. But I say that its nothing more than a tool until used to harm another person without cause.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    My weapon of choice is a firearm. I hope I never need to use it in its primary role but in order to wield it effectively, I use paper "targets" to judge accuracy. Hunters do the same.
    It is like the sport of wrestling. It became a sport to practice combat. It may have evolved into a purely entertainment sport for some but the fundamentals were refined by using the body (and a folding chair?) as weapons. Nothing evil about that. :twocents:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    You can label anything a weapon really. But I say that its nothing more than a tool until used to harm another person without cause.
    What's this "harm another person without cause" stuff?

I carry a handgun for defensive purposes. I can call that handgun anything, but in reality it's a weapon. I don't carry it as a fashion statement, I carry it to win a fight if needed. That is, without a doubt, a weapon.

Now, if I use my weapon against an opponent Hell bent on harming me or my family, how is that harming another person without cause?

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    As for kids, my son will be raised to understand a firearm is not a toy. The firearms I carry are not accessories or fashionable items, they are defensive weapons to be used for very serious purposes. They are not to be played with. I would feel remiss if I taught my son that firearms were used for entertainment or otherwise hid the fact they are in fact weapons. An Xbox is used for entertainment, a firearm is used to defend. Even when I go to the range, I practice with my handgun(s) as a defensive weapon. Why? Sure, it's relaxing and fun, but like a cat that hunts mice that it doesn't eat, I'm honing my skills and maintaining a level of proficiency with my weapon.

God willing I'll never have to use one of my firearms in that capacity, but God help the person that threatens me or my family because I won't hesitate to do what's necessary to survive or defend my home and family.

Out of my collection of firearms, I have perhaps one handgun that's a dedicated target pistol. Every other firearm in my collection is a military/LEO rifle or handgun.

I'm a former 0311 Marine so perhaps it's something that was ingrained in me long ago, but I have a hard time pretending the firearms I own are anything but very serious defensive tools.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Oh, and while I'm on the subject... :D

These are guns:

300px-BB61_USS_Iowa_BB61_broadside_USN.jpg

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I dunno, a lot of handguns are fashion statements - I mean, look at the young lady in the Kahr ads, she's not carrying for anything other than fashion.. :)

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    OK for the people that don't understand English http://mw1.m-w.com/dictionary/cause .... This I totally believe covers some one attacking your family, dog, friend , goldfish. and also trespassers in your home. Not to mention many other possibilities.
    You Must have a (JUST CAUSE) or reason. to turn your handgun or rifle (a recreational tool to those who shoot for fun) Into a DEFENSIVE WEAPON. Or else you goto jail for murder with a DEADLY WEAPON.

This all goes to prove that a tools name/description changes based on the USER and the way its used.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think the point was that with or without cause, attacking or defending, person or animal, when you shoot at any living thing you are using it as a weapon.:dunno:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    OK for the people that don't understand English http://mw1.m-w.com/dictionary/cause .... This I totally believe covers some one attacking your family, dog, friend , goldfish. and also trespassers in your home. Not to mention many other possibilities.
    You Must have a (JUST CAUSE) or reason. to turn your handgun or rifle (a recreational tool to those who shoot for fun) Into a DEFENSIVE WEAPON. Or else you goto jail for murder with a DEADLY WEAPON.

This all goes to prove that a tools name/description changes based on the USER and the way its used.
    What you said is that a gun is a tool until it's used to harm someone without cause. So a weapon is only a bad thing, never a good thing according to your original statement. At least that's how it reads.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Oh, and a defensive weapon doesn't change status. It's a defensive weapon in its holster, you don't need to use the weapon to make it defensive. If you carry a firearm on your person, it's a weapon - period. That is, unless you're carrying it for some other reason that personal defense.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Here's how I would differentiate:
    firearm, gun, handgun, rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver, etc. if it is unloaded, or if I'm practicing with it at the range.

Weapon if I am carrying it, or if it is loaded and placed somewhere in my house.

However, I don't formally distinguish between the 2. I generally do not call them "weapons" when I'm talking about them individually as I like to be specific about the particular firearm I'm talking about.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Really full-auto is right here. A handgun is purely a weapon. Defensive or offensive doesn't matter. Even for practice you are using it as a weapon. The things in practice you shoot at are just simply not alive or a clear and present danger. I think most of us just refrain for using the word "weapon" because that's what fear mongers use to scare the public so we don't use it and call them firearms so that we don't feed that fire. Especially in those who are already afraid of firearms, or weapons, like my mother is. She can't even stand knowing one is in the same room as her because she thinks all guns are evil. Even BB guns. Go figure...:rolleyes:

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Well If I'm hunting a deer, squirrel, rabit.... I would feel silly to need a weapon. I'm not defending myself. But the right tool, be it a trap, bow, dart or a rifle. Hunting is a necessity and a source of food. Not to mention part of our culture since the dawn of man. You call call them what you want. Even the historians call these things tools. But any TOOL be it a 2x4 or a high powered rifle can be a weapon in the hands or the Angry or the Ignorant. GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE--PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.

P.S. Call em what you want..... I honestly call my by names i give them...lol I would never call my Yugo AK a "weapon" HER name is BURPING BERTHA.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    For me, a weapon is an antipersonnel device of any sort.

A firearm can be a weapon, or not.

My carry pistol usually gets referred to as a sidearm.

Josh <><

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The term "weapon" is a carryover from the military. Their hand and shoulder fired guns are weapons to them, as well as, their bayonets (Do they still issue those?). The training in the military must emphasize killing. Remember: "What is the spirit of the bayonet?" It isn't easy to get most soldiers to kill another human being, so the military must constantly train their folks towards that goal. I don't use the term weapon to describe my guns. I have some specialized match guns that are good for little else, but punching holes in paper. I have others that I carry for personal protection. At the NRA matches I attend, the rulebook advises the range officers to refer to the firearms as "guns", i.e. "slides back; magazines out; cylinders out; guns on the bench". I usually use the terms, guns, rifle, shotgun, pistol, and revolver. I less frequently use the term firearm.
    The OP asked about his concealed carry handgun. He wasn't talking about his Ruger 10/22 or his S&W Model 41 he punches paper with.

The OP wondered if it was appropriate to call his defensive arm a "weapon". The answer is "yes, it is appropriate". Unless he's carrying that weapon to impress his buddies or to wow the women folk, he's likely carrying it to win a fight. I don't know why else someone would strap a gun on and walk out into town.

I'll let the OP answer why he carries a firearm concealed. I feel pretty safe in my assumption it's a weapon to defend himself with. If it's a clothing accessory or a item worn to impress others and he has no intention of ever using it in a fight, then I'll cede the point.

Last edited:

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The definition of weapon was posted back in post #8. I will just stand on that rather than what we individually want it to mean.:cool:

Top Bottom