• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Was Reagan great or terrible as a president?

• Total voters

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    You will never let me down for a good laugh...as I always I appreciate the loyalty to then regardless of the facts. Go Ronny Go....the legend of the golden one lives on in myth and legend:rockwoot:

Just curious. Who do you think was the best President of the last 100 years?

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Typical liberal bull****ter.

There you go again, you started the name-calling.

Lol. Everytime I see ole' Carmel HP post, a picture of Statler & Waldorf comes to mind:

Statler_e0fba1_918606.jpg

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Now all of the usual suspects, who can find no Republican they didn't hate and no Democrat they didn't love, have chimed in.

For a guy who's only joy in life is splitting hairs and calling people out on lack of evidence, you don't have much proof to your unfounded accusation.

Irishfan is right, you're always good for a laugh. I know us whipper-snappers probably don't have too many of your good years left to hear those nit-picker rants, but keep em' coming HP! Your fact denying ways are legendary. :rockwoot:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Now all of the usual suspects, who can find no Republican they didn't hate and no Democrat they didn't love, have chimed in.

Hope you are not including me in that bunch as I gave a few democrat misdeeds just second amendment related in an earlier post. If you want a list I can give them to you as the dems have plenty of misgivings to be hammered on but don't pretend the republicans aren't sailing in the same boat as they are. Regardless of what party we choose of the two major factions we are all choosing between tyrants at the end of the day.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    IMHO, Ronald Reagan was the best President in my lifetime. He was the 'John Wayne' of Presidents.... not always right on every issue.... but he fought for what he believed in and fought the good fight against the BG's, and there was no doubt about his love of country.

He defended this nation in an honorable way during the Cold War, he defended the Constitution with a zeal and commitment not seen in any President since, and he made ALL of us who were there during his presidency, proud to be Americans. :patriot:

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I'm assuming that I'm not someone you're referring to. My favorite presidents are Ike and Teddy R.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    IMHO, Ronald Reagan was the best President in my lifetime. He was the 'John Wayne' of Presidents.... not always right on every issue.... but he fought for what he believed in and fought the good fight against the BG's, and there was no doubt about his love of country.

He defended this nation in an honorable way during the Cold War, he defended the Constitution with a zeal and commitment not seen in any President since, and he made ALL of us who were there during his presidency, proud to be Americans. :patriot:

Using history as a guide, my favorite president during my lifetime, would be Clinton. I think his gun ban was idiotic, but compared to Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bushes 1 and 2, and Obama, he was the best..... Which honestly isn't saying a whole lot, sadly.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm assuming that I'm not someone you're referring to. My favorite presidents are Ike and Teddy R.

Using history as a guide, my favorite president during my lifetime, would be Clinton.

For someone who is always quick to rush to Obama's defense and say that posters are taking his statements out of context or misinterpreting his comments, I find that you excusing yourself to be risible. And Clinton? Need anyone say more?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    For someone who is always quick to rush to Obama's defense and say that posters are taking his statements out of context or misinterpreting his comments, I find that you excusing yourself to be risible. And Clinton? Need anyone say more?

No, I'm just even handed in my criticisms, and don't "toe" party lines. I actually look stuff up rather than take someone else's word on it. You could benefit from doing the same because it appears that you are easily, and regularly, made to look downright silly.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    No, I'm just even handed in my criticisms, and don't "toe" party lines. I actually look stuff up rather than take someone else's word on it. You could benefit from doing the same because it appears that you are easily, and regularly, made to look downright silly.

That's why of the 3 quotes you posted that were actually dated during his presidency, they were all without context or citation. Yes, very even-handed of you. As far as looking silly, you're the poster boy.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    Tin pot trash around the world did not entirely stop acting up when Reagan assumed office, but they cut down a bit. No one was afraid of Carter except for Americans with jobs. Many were afraid of Reagan, and even they who weren't understood that he wasn't a chump.

Interestingly, Reagan didn't kill nearly as many people as Bush or Obama, but yet this country still had a lot of street cred.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    More gun control quotes

I'll play...
    August 28, 1986
    “Certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited.”

June 21, 1988
    “I think maybe there could be some restrictions that there had to be a certain amount of training taken.”

November 14, 1988
    “Well, I think there has to be some [gun] control.”

February 6, 1989
    “I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen for sporting, for hunting and so forth, or for home defense. But I do believe that an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon or needed for defense of a home.”

March 29, 1991
    “With the right to bear arms comes a great responsibility to use caution and common sense on handgun purchases.”

March 29, 1991 (same day as above)
    “Every year, an average of 9,200 Americans are murdered by handguns, according to Department of Justice statistics. This does not include suicides or the tens of thousands of robberies, rapes and assaults committed with handguns. This level of violence must be stopped.”

May 3, 1994
    “This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety ... While we recognize that assault-weapon legislation will not stop all assault-weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals.”
    Admittedly Reagan had some "pro-gun" quotes too. But so have many other notorious gun control advocates. At best he was a flip-flopper. At worst, he was anti-gun the whole time, pandering to get himself into power. Not a difficult feat for an actor. Here are even more gun control quotes from before, during, and after his presidency.

May 3, 1967
    “There’s no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.”
    -- Ronald Reagan on the Mulford Act, Associated Press

In a later press conference, Reagan said he didn’t “know of any sportsman who leaves his home with a gun to go out into the field to hunt or for target shooting who carries that gun loaded.” The Mulford Act, he said, “would work no hardship on the honest citizen.”
    -- Source:The Atlantic

May 6, 1983
    "When I was Governor of California, we dealt with gun control -- we added 5 to 15 years to the sentence of any criminal who, while committing a crime, had a gun in his possession, whether he used that gun or not. Now, I'm even more convinced than ever that this is the right approach if they're going to talk about something to do with guns and crime."
    -- Ronald Reagan at the Annual Members Banquet of the NRA in Phoenix, AZ

May 6, 1983
    "Another way NRA can help police is to support our efforts for a minimum mandatory term of 57 years imprisonment--and perhaps there'll be some disagreement in this, but I have to say it: for the use of armor-piercing bullets during a Federal crime of violence. These are designed to truly be a threat to law enforcement officers who, so many times, have to depend on bulletproof vests."
    -- Ronald Reagan at the Annual Members Banquet of the NRA in Phoenix, AZ

March 29, 1991
    “This nightmare might never have happened if legislation that is before Congress now—the Brady bill—had been law back in 1981... If the passage of the Brady bill were to result in a reduction of only 10 or 15 percent of those numbers (and it could be a good deal greater), it would be well worth making it the law of the land.”
    -- Ronald Reagan's Op-Ed: "Why I'm for the Brady Bill"

March 30, 1991
    "With the right to bear arms comes a great responsibility to use caution and common sense on handgun purchases. And it's just plain common sense that there be a waiting period to allow local law-enforcement officials to conduct background checks on those who wish to purchase handguns."
    -- Ronald Reagan, George Washington University

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Mandatory minimum sentencing and the Drug War

Reagan's push for mandatory sentencing and ramping up of the drug war has had a lot of negative effects on this country for years to follow. His policies directly lead to situations like this.

Man faces up to 90 years in prison for state-licensed marijuana greenhouse
    May 6, 1983
    "When I was Governor of California, we dealt with gun control -- we added 5 to 15 years to the sentence of any criminal who, while committing a crime, had a gun in his possession, whether he used that gun or not. Now, I'm even more convinced than ever that this is the right approach if they're going to talk about something to do with guns and crime." -- Ronald Reagan at the Annual Members Banquet of the NRA in Phoenix, AZ
    Not only did he want mandatory sentencing, he wanted to abolish parole for all Federal offenses. :n00b:
    May 6, 1983
    "We're determined to cripple the drug-pushers who are poisoning the minds and bodies of our children. We want mandatory sentences. We want firm and speedy application of penalties. And we want to abolish parole for Federal offenses."
    -- Ronald Reagan at the Annual Members Banquet of the NRA in Phoenix, AZ​

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Reagan's push for mandatory sentencing and ramping up of the drug war has had a lot of negative effects on this country for years to follow. His policies directly lead to situations like this.

Man faces up to 90 years in prison for state-licensed marijuana greenhouse
    May 6, 1983
    "When I was Governor of California, we dealt with gun control -- we added 5 to 15 years to the sentence of any criminal who, while committing a crime, had a gun in his possession, whether he used that gun or not. Now, I'm even more convinced than ever that this is the right approach if they're going to talk about something to do with guns and crime." -- Ronald Reagan at the Annual Members Banquet of the NRA in Phoenix, AZ
    Not only did he want mandatory sentencing, he wanted to abolish parole for all Federal offenses. :n00b:
    May 6, 1983
    "We're determined to cripple the drug-pushers who are poisoning the minds and bodies of our children. We want mandatory sentences. We want firm and speedy application of penalties. And we want to abolish parole for Federal offenses."
    -- Ronald Reagan at the Annual Members Banquet of the NRA in Phoenix, AZ​

So, wanting harsher sentences for criminals in preference to banning guns makes one anti-gun? How about if one wants to deny guns to felons? Is that anti-gun?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So, wanting harsher sentences for criminals in preference to banning guns makes one anti-gun? How about if one wants to deny guns to felons? Is that anti-gun?
    Yes, Carmel. The GCA of 1968 was anti-gun. The Brady Act was anti-gun. Not only are they anti-gun from a philosophical standpoint, but they are anti-2A. The Federal Government has no authority to do these things under the Federal Constitution. All these Federal databases, Federal gun crimes, and Federal drug prohibition laws are anti-Constitution.

Mandatory sentences are incredibly dumb policy. As written, they are anti-gun because they throw non-violent gun owners in prison for breaking any of the millions of unconstitutional Federal laws. I just cited the case of Chris Williams. Part of his plight is that he was a gun-owner, and now he's getting the book thrown at him because of it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Yes, Carmel. The GCA of 1968 was anti-gun. The Brady Act was anti-gun. Not only are they anti-gun from a philosophical standpoint, but they are anti-2A. The Federal Government has no authority to do these things under the Federal Constitution. All these Federal databases, Federal gun crimes, and Federal drug prohibition laws are anti-Constitution.

Mandatory sentences are incredibly dumb policy. As written, they are anti-gun because they throw non-violent gun owners in prison for breaking any of the millions of unconstitutional Federal laws. I just cited the case of Chris Williams. Part of his plight is that he was a gun-owner, and now he's getting the book thrown at him because of it.

Just to be clear, if you want to deny guns to felons, that would be anti-gun?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Just to be clear, if you want to deny guns to felons, that would be anti-gun?
    Yes. Restricting guns from a class of people who have already paid their debt to society is anti-gun. What does it actually take to get a felony in this country? Not very much. There are plenty of decent "felons" in America. We have some on this board and I know some myself. They have families that need protecting too.

If we really believe that guns are just tools and should be sold in hardware stores and mail order catalogs, then we necessarily must abandon the prohibitionist stuff and the government databases. As if a real criminal couldn't just go get a gun on the street anyways.

I don't have a problem extending the sentences of people who actually use extreme violence. That should not hinge on their status as a gun owner.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Yes. Restricting guns from a class of people who have already paid their debt to society is anti-gun. What does it actually take to get a felony in this country? Not very much. There are plenty of decent "felons" in America. We have some on this board and I know some myself. They have families that need protecting too.

If we really believe that guns are just tools and should be sold in hardware stores and mail order catalogs, then we necessarily must abandon the prohibitionist stuff and the government databases. As if a real criminal couldn't just go get a gun on the street anyways.

I don't have a problem extending the sentences of people who actually use extreme violence. That should not hinge on their status as a gun owner.

I agree, so would you agree that someone who wrote the following is anti-gun:

I don't believe anyone who has commited a violent felony of any sort should be allowed to legally carry a firearm. It is my opinion that you give up that right when you commit the felony.

Right?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I agree, so would you agree that someone who wrote the following is anti-gun:

Right?
    Yeah, to a degree. Its a compromised position on an inalienable right. Taking that position loses you a some percentage points if I were writing a gun rights advocacy quiz. My quiz is a little harder than the NRA's though. Very few people deserve an "A."

It is better than the current state of the laws though, since it specifies "violent" felony. A huge number of people could regain their rights if this were the criteria.

Top Bottom