• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Was Reagan great or terrible as a president?

• Total voters

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The Constitution isn't available a la carte. Or maybe you're more Liberal than you would let others believe.

Maybe you're stupider than you would let others believe. It wasn't about YES or NO to the Constitution. It was about how much we could protect of the Constitution all at once with the Democrat Congress in power. We could a great deal, and we lost a part. Saying that he was anti-RKBA because he wasn't able to save it all from the Democrats is unimaginably childish. With FOPA, Reagan reined in the ATF, allowed in trillions of rounds of ammunition and tens of millions of guns that were previously unimportable, spoke well of guns while in office, even after being shot, and ignored the anti-gunners. Whereas, in 1979 Pete Shields of the National Committee to Ban Handguns was confident enough to say handguns would banned by 1984 and all guns by the turn of the century, they were all but defunct by the end of Reagan's terms after defeat upon defeat.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    You need some sense.

Or maybe take your blinders off and see that Reagan really wasn't the great guy you try to falsely prop him up as. He stripped the California right to carry away which you always fail to mention and then repeatedly spoke out for more gun control during and after his time as president. There is more then one speech where he is on record doing just that.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Or maybe take your blinders off and see that Reagan really wasn't the great guy you try to falsely prop him up as. He stripped the California right to carry away which you always fail to mention and then repeatedly spoke out for more gun control during and after his time as president. There is more then one speech where he is on record doing just that.

I never lived in California and its irrelevant to his time as President. What speech, during the time he was President, which is the time we are talking about, did he "call for more gun control?" Maybe you just weren't there and just don't know what you're talking about, or, more likely, have an ax to grind as you never seem to find any particular fault with any Democrat.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I never lived in California and its irrelevant to his time as President. What speech, during the time he was President, which is the time we are talking about, did he "call for more gun control?" Maybe you just weren't there and just don't know what you're talking about, or, more likely, have an ax to grind as you never seem to find any particular fault with any Democrat.

Trying to pass the buck yet again on the truth about Reagan I see and so does anyone who doesn't worship the man. Now, for your other part...do you mean how Clinton had all the M14's destroyed? Or how Barack Obama is wiping his feet with the constitution and in particular the second amendment as well as dirtying a couple others along the way. Oh wait how about we throw in how Jimmy Carter let the country sink into oblivion during his time in office. Wait lets not forget how LBJ in all his wisdom endorsing the act of 68 but by your standards was GREAT FOR AMERICANS even though it restricted all foreign importation of firearms. I call that along with Ronald Reagan's signing of the 86 gun law nothing more then a pathetic and direct offense against legal firearm owners.

In your sad world it is apparent that you have to of lived through and voted for a president to be able to have an opinion on him. It is good to see that you will NEVER be commenting on Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, or quite a few others as you didn't live through their time in office. Now, if you want to drop your ridiculous criteria then you will see that although not all of us were adults when Reagan was in office there are plenty of pieces of history to show us the positives and negatives of his time in office. Also, with that it is pretty easy to tell from his whole span of time while in any office that he was not the friend to gun owners many falsely portray but he was better then the men that came directly before him without a doubt. Anyone trying to trump up how Ronald Reagan did great things for us gun owners is nothing but spinning facts to fit their own motivated agenda.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No. Not name calling, since (theoretically) anyone can 'troll' at anytime.
    Nevertheless, edited for the sensitive. Oh and, it's OK. After all, I just "did it to annoy". :):

Typically, when I "annoy," I do it with legitimate facts. You can either agree or disagree with posts #128 and #129, but that doesn't make them any less factual.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    We should all just quit and realize that CarmelHP could not possibly be wrong - ever.

Its not a matter of wrong but he chooses to not believe or at least admit it when he can't twist the facts to fit what he wants. We have been over the Reagan thing before and it usually ends up in him saying that he "doesn't know" about his California decisions or plays up the other stuff instead of admitting what has happened in the case with Reagan and the second amendment.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    All the above posts aside, wondering if anyone thinks the country would have been better in a second Carter administration as opposed to Reagan. Likewise I ask the Bush haters if they would have felt better with a Gore administration. Ya know folks, those were the choices.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Its not a matter of wrong but he chooses to not believe or at least admit it when he can't twist the facts to fit what he wants. We have been over the Reagan thing before and it usually ends up in him saying that he "doesn't know" about his California decisions or plays up the other stuff instead of admitting what has happened in the case with Reagan and the second amendment.

So, you can't come up with any of those anti-gun comments that you claimed he made in office and are now flapping you arms and trying to divert attention from your lying. Typical liberal bull****ter.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So, you can't come up with any of those anti-gun comments that you claimed he made in office and are now flapping you arms and trying to divert attention from your lying. Typical liberal bull****ter.

I'll play...
    August 28, 1986
    “Certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited.”

June 21, 1988
    “I think maybe there could be some restrictions that there had to be a certain amount of training taken.”

November 14, 1988
    “Well, I think there has to be some [gun] control.”

February 6, 1989
    “I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen for sporting, for hunting and so forth, or for home defense. But I do believe that an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon or needed for defense of a home.”

March 29, 1991
    “With the right to bear arms comes a great responsibility to use caution and common sense on handgun purchases.”

March 29, 1991 (same day as above)
    “Every year, an average of 9,200 Americans are murdered by handguns, according to Department of Justice statistics. This does not include suicides or the tens of thousands of robberies, rapes and assaults committed with handguns. This level of violence must be stopped.”

May 3, 1994
    “This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety ... While we recognize that assault-weapon legislation will not stop all assault-weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals.”

(Reagan was in office until January 20th, 1989)

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I'll play...
    August 28, 1986
    “Certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited.”

June 21, 1988
    “I think maybe there could be some restrictions that there had to be a certain amount of training taken.”

November 14, 1988

February 6, 1989
    “I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen for sporting, for hunting and so forth, or for home defense. But I do believe that an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon or needed for defense of a home.”

March 29, 1991
    “With the right to bear arms comes a great responsibility to use caution and common sense on handgun purchases.”

March 29, 1991 (same day as above)
    “Every year, an average of 9,200 Americans are murdered by handguns, according to Department of Justice statistics. This does not include suicides or the tens of thousands of robberies, rapes and assaults committed with handguns. This level of violence must be stopped.”

May 3, 1994
    “This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety ... While we recognize that assault-weapon legislation will not stop all assault-weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals.”

(Reagan was in office until January 20th, 1989)

The comeback from Carmel should be a classic....."....the NRA and (D) got Reagan in a choke hold and forced him to say those things, he actually wrote later he didn't mean a word of it......"......:D

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head

Ah, there ya go name calling so you don't look foolish. I was getting the dates together but it seems Kutnupe beat me to it. I can give you a few more after he was out of office if you like though to help add to your fantasy world. So CarmelHp is it in your opinion that nobody can have an opinion on a president unless they were in adulthood during that presidents term? I'm curious as always to what your opinion is. I can almost picture CHP getting red faced and not trying to sound like a bad Chris Mathews tantrum when reading anyone not agreeing with him about the all great golden elephant.:lmfao:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The comeback from Carmel should be a classic....."....the NRA and (D) got Reagan in a choke hold and forced him to say those things, he actually wrote later he didn't mean a word of it......"......:D

So, basically, all you could come up with in this vast, vast treasure trove of anti-gun statements, while he was President (since you seem to have trouble with dates) are these 3 ambiguous, non-committal, out-of-context statements:

August 28, 1986

June 21, 1988

November 14, 1988

That's it? The whole sum total? This is your grand convincing indictment of his Presidency?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Ah, there ya go name calling so you don't look foolish. I was getting the dates together but it seems Kutnupe beat me to it. I can give you a few more after he was out of office if you like though to help add to your fantasy world. So CarmelHp is it in your opinion that nobody can have an opinion on a president unless they were in adulthood during that presidents term? I'm curious as always to what your opinion is. I can almost picture CHP getting red faced and not trying to sound like a bad Chris Mathews tantrum when reading anyone not agreeing with him about the all great golden elephant.:lmfao:
    There you go again, you started the name-calling. But, why should honesty infect you now?

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    There you go again, you started the name-calling. But, why should honesty infect you now?

You will never let me down for a good laugh...as I always I appreciate the loyalty to then regardless of the facts. Go Ronny Go....the legend of the golden one lives on in myth and legend:rockwoot:

Top Bottom