• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Was Reagan great or terrible as a president?

• Total voters

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The better course of action for FOPA would have been to not sign the law. He signed it, violating his oath of Office.

If Reagan was so "flexible" in his interpretation of the Constitution, why are the modern day Repubs in love with him?

I guess he fits the mold for today's Cult of the Golden Elephant.

Sure, because it would have been better to let gun culture die by starvation and a thousand cuts in order to maintain ideological purity.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Glad it does...you asked, I answered you. Kids in your car telling you to go faster and you get a ticket...."But it was the kids officer, blame them!!!"

That makes perfect sense too.

I'm glad that you've never had to make a choice or a tradeoff and have stayed virgin pure throughout your life. Sometimes grownups have to choose what's best in the long run.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "With the right to bear arms comes a great responsibility to use caution and common sense on handgun purchases. And it's just plain common sense that there be a waiting period to allow local law-enforcement officials to conduct background checks on those who wish to purchase handguns."

Agree or disagree?

-Ronald Reagan March 28, 1991

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Or here's another great gem. The 1967 Mulford Act, which prohibited the carrying of firearms on your person, in your vehicle, and in any public place or on the street, and he also signed off on a 15-day waiting period for firearm purchases.

Signed by the Governor of California.... Ronald Reagan

Did he not read this as well? And he immediately become "pro-gun" afterwards? Yeah right.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    The Constitution isn't available a la carte. Or maybe you're more Liberal than you would let others believe.

Iguana :poop:....

You are correct in stating that the Constitution isn't a la carte. You are absolutely incorrect in the fact that ADHERING to the Constitution IS a la carte by definition. It sucks, but it's reality.

Our government , and many of our citizens of all political stripes choose which parts of the Constitution to tear down and which to aggressively defend. Even those whose try to defend it as much as possible get hit with the law of unintended consequences.

To illustrate my point - you and I might both believe in defending the Constitution - all the way entirely. We might choose very different approaches to doing it.

Further there are PLENTY of people who will defend the 1st Amendment , but not the 2nd. Most often these folks are of the liberal end of the swimming pool. Then there are those who would defend the 2nd, and yet not the 1st - often a conservative thing...

Often people have to make choices as to what "defending the Constitution" will entail. And when you are a decision maker, as all Presidents are - the decisions are not always clear-cut. There can be benefits to a bill that you may feel will allow a better government, Constitutionally speaking, in the long run - and still some of the provisions may suck. You can't always get everything you want in the package you want it.

I'm all for defending the Constitution (ALL of it, by the way). I also realize that the choices that get laid before a President are not always black and white - and THAT is where the judgement comes in. It's real easy to Puritanically come in and say that we know all of the right things to do.

I'm reminded of this clip from a tv show in the same era (Hill Street Blues)...

Sure we can apply all of the puritanical tests - but I'm not sure that those puritans among us would pass the same test that they are applying to others.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8EXTzNMOzg&noredirect=1[/ame]

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Iguana :poop:....

You are correct in stating that the Constitution isn't a la carte. You are absolutely incorrect in the fact that ADHERING to the Constitution IS a la carte by definition. It sucks, but it's reality.

Blah blah blah........verbal meandering...........man crush on Reagan

It's simple. You're making it difficult. He swore an oath. He violated that oath to the most Sacred document in America. If Carter or Clinton banned full auto we'd burn them in effigy.

But when a bunch of pre-teens go googley-eyed over the best legacy the Cult of the Golden Elephant can birth through their diseased canal.... we get this........

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    It is very easy to say that everything everyone did is all wrong...

Perhaps a more fair question than the original poll would be this: of the Presidents since (and including) FDR who were the best and worst (top two or three each way). I could find things that I disagreed with - with every one of them.

Steelman - are there any of them that you think were particularly good? (Don't have to be GREAT - but notably better than the others...)

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Meant to get back with you sooner, but maybe it's just as well.

I'm not trying to debate the merits of bankrupting the USSR, just looking at things from a strictly RKBA stance.
    The (deleted) attempt-to-play-the race card comments aside, yeah it had more to do with cold war issues, though not exclusively. And not for purposes of debate -- formal or informal -- but for additional info/explanation. Whatever the issue, though, when someone says
    I really don't care either
    or is not interested, then that's that.

This other comment,
    His record on RKBA has been worse than any president since he left office.
    seems to imply Reagan worse than Clinton on RKBA issues. If that's what was meant, then yeah, we're definitely done. Obviously using a different set of criteria.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    It is very easy to say that everything everyone did is all wrong...

Perhaps a more fair question than the original poll would be this: of the Presidents since (and including) FDR who were the best and worst (top two or three each way). I could find things that I disagreed with - with every one of them.

Steelman - are there any of them that you think were particularly good? (Don't have to be GREAT - but notably better than the others...)

Let's stay on topic. This is a discussion about Reagan.

If you want to start a "Greatest RKBA President" thread - do so and PM me the link.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This other comment,
    seems to imply Reagan worse than Clinton on RKBA issues. If that's what was meant, then yeah, we're definitely done. Obviously using a different set of criteria.

He was, see post #128 and #129

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    He was, see post #128 and #129
    Your opinion means nothing to me. He did not, for example, use the 'bully pulpit' to aggressivively push for the Feinstein-Schumer semi-auto ban. Nor was he known for attempting through speeches to shame, ridicule or guilt-trip the NRA and American gun owners who objected to his agenda.

(And he also never got on a gun board and openly bragged about compiling a list of grievances against the United States on behalf of a foreign power.)

Last edited:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I may not agree with Kutnupe but name calling is a sign you have nothing further to add.
    No. Not name calling, since (theoretically) anyone can 'troll' at anytime.
    Nevertheless, edited for the sensitive. Oh and, it's OK. After all, I just "did it to annoy". :):

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It's simple. You're making it difficult. He swore an oath. He violated that oath to the most Sacred document in America. If Carter or Clinton banned full auto we'd burn them in effigy.
    Yes he did. On multiple occasions.
    But when a bunch of pre-teens go googley-eyed over the best legacy the Cult of the Golden Elephant can birth through their diseased canal.... we get this........

:laugh:

It would be funnier if it wasn't so true. :n00b:

Top Bottom