• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Was Reagan great or terrible as a president?

• Total voters

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Voted yes if for no other reason than because the very mention of his name often causes the enemies of my country -- both foreign and especially domestic -- to go apoplectic with rage. :laugh:

:patriot:

(Added for entertainment)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv13ZnkpWos

Last edited:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Iran contra?

We have 4 dead Americans in Benghazi, two of which are service men that deserve a Congressional Medal Of Honor and are not even acknowledged, one dead Ambassador, who was sodomized to death.
    We are selling 20 F16 and 200 M1 Tanks to a radical Islamist regime......And you want to discuss 40 year old Iran Contra. That makes sense.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    We have 4 dead Americans in Benghazi, two of which are service men that deserve a Congressional Medal Of Honor and are not even acknowledged, one dead Ambassador, who was sodomized to death.
    We are selling 20 F16 and 200 M1 Tanks to a radical Islamist regime......And you want to discuss 40 year old Iran Contra. That makes sense.

Yea the thread is about Regan not current events.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    You have already made up your mind. If you had wanted to really know what people thought you woul have had something besides the two extremes

1. Great President
    2. Better than most
    3. Average
    4. Worse than most
    5. Horrible president

He broke the 20 year curse. You know, the one that presidents elected in a year ending in zero would die in office?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    You have already made up your mind. If you had wanted to really know what people thought you woul have had something besides the two extremes

1. Great President
    2. Better than most
    3. Average
    4. Worse than most
    5. Horrible president

He broke the 20 year curse. You know, the one that presidents elected in a year ending in zero would die in office?

A good point. I haven't necessarily made up my mind I just don't understand all of the hubub when it comes to Reagan.

They sure tried to make sure he died in office.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    This fascination with the Cult of the Golden Elephant puzzles me.

How easily we overlook the Republican gun control efforts. The man banned the importation and manufacture of automatic weapons. Compromise or not - the stroke of his pen made it law.

I lump Reagan in with Lincoln, Bush, Bush Jr, Nixon, Boehner, McCain, Specter, Romney, Giuliani and Graham. Where are your idols now?

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011

1. Great President
    2. Better than most
    3. Average
    4. Worse than most
    5. Horrible president

I would have to say (6) Better than most recent presidents. It has been over 80 years since we have had a president that we could argue was freedom loving (Coolidge). I just don't think the American public could ever elect a Coolidge ever again, but I think maybe, just maybe, they could elect a Reagan. The U.S. has gone so progressive that a Reagan is the best that we could ever get elected and that is why he is so revered today.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    This fascination with the Cult of the Golden Elephant puzzles me.

How easily we overlook the Republican gun control efforts. The man banned the importation and manufacture of automatic weapons. Compromise or not - the stroke of his pen made it law.

I lump Reagan in with Lincoln, Bush, Bush Jr, Nixon, Boehner, McCain, Specter, Romney, Giuliani and Graham. Where are your idols now?

Be they golden elephants or golden asses, the cult of idols puzzles me.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    He inherited a failing economy which made a remarkable recovery by cutting taxes.
    His winning the election ended the Iran hostage crisis.
    Pulled support for the Sandinistas after the murder of a journalist.
    He was right to supply the Contras.
    His policy and arms race won the Cold War.
    His administration rebuilt the US military, which was on the brink of self-destruction, especially after Viet-Nam.
    He showed Libya the "light" concerning terrorism, and the power of the US.
    Stopped the spread of Cuban communism in Grenada, which if not done, more than likely would have spread to other Caribean islands.
    Forced Russia into the strategic arms treaty.
    Supplied the Mujahdeen in their war against the Soviets.

I don't agree with some of his policy.

Firearms and AWB
    immigration amnesty
    the war on drugs

I am also biased, since he was the Commander in Chief when I joined the Army.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    He was before my time but the more I read the more terrible he seems.

1. Father of deficit spending.
    2. Banned MG (I know what it helped, I feel it was worse in the long run)
    3. Had no use for "assault rifles"
    4. Continued Eisenhower's cold war

I've found many have a romanticized view of who he was. Either history hasn't been kind to him or he was a terrible president.

Well, this is what they teach in government schools nowadays, so I guess I'm not totally surprised by your skewed view of history. Nothing here I can fix for you in a couple of posts.

I will say this...Clinton, in his 8 years, saw the national debt increase by more than Reagan did...but they probably failed to mention that in government school. When a republican has a deficit budget, it's bad and evil...when a democrat has one....oh wait...democrats don't have budgets.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    1. History of Deficits and Surpluses In The United States
    Please review the tables and reconsider your comment about ignorance. OR please re read what the word "ignorance" means.

2. I'd rather not meddle in other nation's politics. It gets us into wars later. Unconstitutional wars that drive this country farther into debt.

There seems to be this willful ignorance when it comes to Reagan and conservatives. Now the left is using him as a puppet for their anti-gun agenda and yet people cling to him like he wanted you to be free. He said the 2nd amendment was about "sporting" for crying out loud!

He didn't read the bill in '86? Too bad, he should have had someone read it for him.

The National Debt hasn't gone down a dime since 1957. These little surpluses are all lies as they did nothing to reduce debt. I know you didn't learn anything about money and economics in the government school your parents shipped you off to but do yourself a favor and go look at the numbers from the US treasury.

US Debt to the Penny - Year by Year

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I have to give him credit for saying that "an AK47, a MACHINE GUN, is not a sporting weapon or needed for the defense of a home.". He already knew that machine guns were illegal...but the dumb Mayors Against Illegal Guns are only reinforcing what we already know. Reagan did not say, an AK47, a semi-automatic gun. I think he pulled one on the Libs.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    From a RKBA standpoint, Regan was one of the worst presidents and governors in history.

His efforts and signatures to disarm Americans, from California and continuing on to the WhiteHouse are inexcusable.

Personally I'm surprised to see such a showing of support for him on a gun board. Over at the conservative cafe? Sure, but on a site where RKBA is generally respected? It doesn't make any sense.

I have to answer that, from the perspective of RKBA he was terrible, one of the worst in history.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    WHAT????
    Clinton was the one that let Bin Laden getaway, give me a break.

Osama Bin Laden: Profile of a Terror Leader | ABC News
    "In the 1980s, bin Laden left his comfortable Saudi home for Afghanistan to participate in the Afghan jihad, or holy war, against the invading forces of the Soviet Union - a cause that, ironically, the United States funded, pouring $3 billion into the Afghan resistance via the CIA."

Who is Osama Bin Laden? | BBC News
    "...Bin Laden left Saudi Arabia in 1979 to fight against the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The Afghan jihad was backed with American dollars and had the blessing of the governments of Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. He received security training from the CIA itself."

Who Is Osama Bin Laden? | Forbes
    "...[Osama bin Laden] received military and financial assistance from the intelligence services of Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and the United States."

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    From a RKBA standpoint, Regan was one of the worst presidents and governors in history.

His efforts and signatures to disarm Americans, from California and continuing on to the WhiteHouse are inexcusable.

Personally I'm surprised to see such a showing of support for him on a gun board. Over at the conservative cafe? Sure, but on a site where RKBA is generally respected? It doesn't make any sense.

I have to answer that, from the perspective of RKBA he was terrible, one of the worst in history.
    Your profile indicates you were approx. 3-4 yrs old when he took office, and about 11-12 when he left. With all due respect for many good posts and many points of agreement on key issues, you don't know what you're talking about. If/when I see you, provided the time, everything will be explained. Maybe not to your satisfaction, and probably won't change your mind, but you might come away with an understanding of the 'why'. And it has nothing to do with any "cult worship" or anything like that, which in any case should not be given any politician at any time.

Top Bottom