• glocktime855

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    muncie
    I'll take whatever ammo you think is "bad". :cool:

iMaybe i have 120 rounds of it lol

458 jacked.jpgbolt jacked.jpg this is wait i saw when i finally got the spent shell and bolt unstuck.I really hope RRA is going to warrenty, these reguardless they have known of the problem yet they have no warning post about there upper failed,slash gettting damage by said ammo!

glocktime855

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    muncie
    My head hurts enough without trying to decipher the OP's first and second post. A little better writing would do worlds of good.

I was sorry you reading my post hurt your head.:( I posted it while I was at the range 10 mintues after this happened! After i just got off the phone with the RRA tech.So i really wasnt in that great of mood. It was just warning anyone else who might be sighting in there rifle, with that ammo!!!!!! So, if I had some misspelling, and grammer mistakes, im sorry! I just figured getting the word out so someone else did not jack there $800 dollar upper!! I figured people would get the jest of my story, not try to be all picky about my grammer!

P.S>I edited my first two posts for "English professors". So i get replies with helpfull comments and not bs. I hope you deciphered this without hurting too much !!!:):

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    guy's gun is broke and the proofreading police are out in force..lol...how about a little compassion or help if you can offer any...you can clearly read and understand the post

Last edited:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    FWIW, following has been my plight.

I traded some things for a new RRA 458 SOCOM upper last year. Came from a dealer, and he ordered it new for me. So while I was waiting, my LGS had Cor Bon Hunter 300gr JHP in stock and I picked up a box or 2 every payday and started stocking it. To the tune of about 300 rounds.

Got the upper, put the gun together, and went to sight it in. Started having issues. Sometimes the bolt wouldn't lock all the way up, thus the round wouldn't fire. When that happened, I couldn't pull the charging handle back and eject the shell either. A little pressure from a screwdriver and it would move back and eject. I struggled through 2 1/2 boxes of shells, and found I could sharply bang the buttsock on the ground to get the round to eject. But it still was having issues.

Took the ammo to Profire, and he put it in his case gauge. Said it was tight, but thought it should still work. This was during the time they were not making ammo, so didn't get any new.

I had issues finding other ammo to try. Talked to both RRA and Cor-Bon. And yes, they each blamed the other! Which left me somewhere in the middle. RRA did take the rifle back. Reamed and polished the chamber, and test fired 2 mags. Sent the gun back and said it was ok. Tried the ammo again, first 7 rounds functioned, then the same issues.

Talked to my LGS owner, and he said he 'guaranteed' it was the ammo - that there had been some issues with some lots of the Cor-Bon. Of course, all of my ammo was from the same lot # - 20100301

I finally did find some ammo from Wilson Combat, and ordered 5 boxes. Only 2 in stock, so they sent them right away. One box through the gun no problem. (One box for hunting season.) Was working on getting more from Profire recently, and had a post office issue. I just got those too, but have yet to try them.

After some more conversations with Cor-Bon, and explaining all the pains I'd gone through, they finally agreed to take the ammo back and sent me a shipping label. Of course, I'm still awaiting replacement, as this just happened in the last couple weeks.

Bottom line is, it's frustrating for the end user who buys name brand stuff. But it's the same thing I see in my work in IT. Vendors point at someone else as the problem all the time when things don't interoperate. I had a good amount of money in both ammo and rifle. I want a functioning setup. I was lucky I didn't have the issue the OP did with damage to the gun.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I could sharply bang the buttsock on the ground to get the round to eject.

I have had to do this with some rounds I bought from a guy at a gun show. They have never failed to chamber if I pull the charging handle back all the way and let it slam shut and they always eject when fired. Bought some from Andrew, and they are not as tight, but still snug. At the end of the day deer hunting, I can drop the mag and eject the loaded round by pulling the charging handle, but you really have to pull. I was kinda hoping that more shooting would loosen it up. Not so far. I built another .458 for a buddy with a RRA upper and all of the rounds I tried, even ones that were extremely tight in mine, chambered and ejected much easier.

glocktime855

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    muncie
    FWIW, following has been my plight.

I traded some things for a new RRA 458 SOCOM upper last year. Came from a dealer, and he ordered it new for me. So while I was waiting, my LGS had Cor Bon Hunter 300gr JHP in stock and I picked up a box or 2 every payday and started stocking it. To the tune of about 300 rounds.

Got the upper, put the gun together, and went to sight it in. Started having issues. Sometimes the bolt wouldn't lock all the way up, thus the round wouldn't fire. When that happened, I couldn't pull the charging handle back and eject the shell either. A little pressure from a screwdriver and it would move back and eject. I struggled through 2 1/2 boxes of shells, and found I could sharply bang the buttsock on the ground to get the round to eject. But it still was having issues.

Took the ammo to Profire, and he put it in his case gauge. Said it was tight, but thought it should still work. This was during the time they were not making ammo, so didn't get any new.

I had issues finding other ammo to try. Talked to both RRA and Cor-Bon. And yes, they each blamed the other! Which left me somewhere in the middle. RRA did take the rifle back. Reamed and polished the chamber, and test fired 2 mags. Sent the gun back and said it was ok. Tried the ammo again, first 7 rounds functioned, then the same issues.

Talked to my LGS owner, and he said he 'guaranteed' it was the ammo - that there had been some issues with some lots of the Cor-Bon. Of course, all of my ammo was from the same lot # - 20100301

I finally did find some ammo from Wilson Combat, and ordered 5 boxes. Only 2 in stock, so they sent them right away. One box through the gun no problem. (One box for hunting season.) Was working on getting more from Profire recently, and had a post office issue. I just got those too, but have yet to try them.

After some more conversations with Cor-Bon, and explaining all the pains I'd gone through, they finally agreed to take the ammo back and sent me a shipping label. Of course, I'm still awaiting replacement, as this just happened in the last couple weeks.

Bottom line is, it's frustrating for the end user who buys name brand stuff. But it's the same thing I see in my work in IT. Vendors point at someone else as the problem all the time when things don't interoperate. I had a good amount of money in both ammo and rifle. I want a functioning setup. I was lucky I didn't have the issue the OP did with damage to the gun.

well either way I hope RRA or cor-bon will stand by there products, I bought 140 rounds of that cor-bon ammo you do the math on that . I thank you for your helpful comment!!

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    well either way I hope RRA or cor-bon will stand by there products, I bought 140 rounds of that cor-bon ammo you do the math on that . I thank you for your helpful comment!!

I might add that Cor-Bon actually offered to look at my rifle, and work on fixing it, at their expense. The problem I had was that the gun seemingly works with other ammo, so how can it be a gun issue? Plus some references to ammo issues online and via my LGS.

glocktime855

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    muncie
    I might add that Cor-Bon actually offered to look at my rifle, and work on fixing it, at their expense. The problem I had was that the gun seemingly works with other ammo, so how can it be a gun issue? Plus some references to ammo issues online and via my LGS.

I understand what your say, I feel the same way. I actually only got to shoot it the 2 times so i really dont know if it will shoot other brands of ammo! Im just going to wait for the RRA technician to contact me with there "solution". Ill post when I get some answers

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Just saying... mine did this too with BOTH CORBON & SBR ammo. It's a tolerance stack up issue. Chambers on the small side, ammo on the big side. Mine smoothed out with a lot of firing (>60 rounds). A LOT of people over on the 458SOCOM forum complained about tight RRA chambers while that same ammo ran fine in the Teppo Jutsu uppers.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Update on my issue for those that are interested...........

Corbon sent me a shipping label to send back the remainder of my live ammo (12 1/2 boxes), which I did. Right around a week or so ago.

Last night, had a tag from UPS that they attempted to deliver something that required signature. Turns out it was ammo from Corbon. I picked it up at the UPS hub today.

It was 13 new 20 round boxes of their tipped 300gr DPX ammo. Bit of a peace offering?? No chance to shoot it yet, and I think I will verify with RRA that I'm good to go with this before I go any further considering their warning posted on their website.

Top Bottom