• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So they are looking for people ages 25 to 35?

As several sheriff's deputies have commented that the recent Sheriff's academy class was a bit disappointing. Instructors were complaining that the cadets were a bit too into being entitled.

Lets watch this class and see how a bunch of Millennals work out. They will be the future.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So they are looking for people ages 25 to 35?

As several sheriff's deputies have commented that the recent Sheriff's academy class was a bit disappointing. Instructors were complaining that the cadets were a bit too into being entitled.

Lets watch this class and see how a bunch of Millennals work out. They will be the future.

Why don't you stop talking and apply?

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Trooper, that's one hell of an uninformed and ignorant statement.

Why? The one comment that I have heard from various departments is that Millennals work well if there are older guys in their academy classes to temper them. But once the class is entirely made up of Millennals then you have issues.

We saw this in the military. If there were older troops we had less problems. But on their own they had issues with entitlement. Also they tended to bully, especially the locals in Iraq and Afghanistan. We had problems with the younger troops just not knowing basic things. Like how to change a flat tire. One of the complains from the Justice Dept. about Albuquerque NM was that they hired too many young (Millennals) who tended to be a bit more brutal. They have had a lot of problems with excess use of force by the new recruits out there.

That is why I am not all that in favor of increasing the size of IMPD quickly. Bring a few new guys in, get them trained and on the street. Make sure that there are more experienced officers than younger ones so that the new guys get tempered and have good habits. If you bring too many new guys in too quickly then you get the excessive force issues that NM has.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So much fail. Soooo much. Where do you come up with these hairbrained theories? Age has not crap to do with training and responsibility. An idiot is an idiot regardless of age. To discriminate on an entire Generation any more than you can on an entire race. Ridiculous.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So much fail. Soooo much. Where do you come up with these hairbrained theories? Age has not crap to do with training and responsibility. An idiot is an idiot regardless of age. To discriminate on an entire Generation any more than you can on an entire race. Ridiculous.

Tell that to Albuquerque NM. They hired too many young officers, too quickly. The result is a huge explosion of excessive force.

You want good training? Keep your academy classes small. The Millennals are going to need a lot more mentoring than previous age groups did. A lot more.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You are as wrong as you are full of ignorance. I work with officers who are ten years my junior that I trust my life and every citizen's life with. My department is not different than any other insofar as training goes. Garbage in, garbage out. Age, color, sex, etc. makes no difference now and it never will. It must be easy for you to sit there in your recliner and talk about how the cops are doing it wrong without any factual evidence or experience.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are as wrong as you are full of ignorance. I work with officers who are ten years my junior that I trust my life and every citizen's life with. My department is not different than any other insofar as training goes. Garbage in, garbage out. Age, color, sex, etc. makes no difference now and it never will. It must be easy for you to sit there in your recliner and talk about how the cops are doing it wrong without any factual evidence or experience.

That is not what is being reported. Experiential knowledge is often not actuate. It is subjective.

Again look at what Albuquerque is experiencing. Hired too fast and now facing an explosion of excessive force problems. again you will see it and understand it in about five years.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are ethics going to change in 5 years?

No, but you may find that the department is going to have to spend a lot more time training and mentoring than in the past.

And part of ethics is based on character. If the individual lacks good character, thinks that he is entitled, you have weak ethics. It may require that older officers, such as yourself, have to spend time building character into young troops because their mothers failed to do so. You may have to be more of mentor than was expected in the past.

Top Bottom