• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    That'd be pretty slick in 5.56. My dad's been getting into 5.56 lately - I bet I coul dget him to buy one so I don't have to. hahaha

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    That'd be pretty slick in 5.56. My dad's been getting into 5.56 lately - I bet I coul dget him to buy one so I don't have to. hahaha

I just don't have much interest in the 5.56 version... but that's just me... I could definetly see the appeal to a lot of people.. the AR magwell adapter is crucial to it's success. IIRC Czechpoint is stocking them now.

There is also a company in the Czech Republic that is making a .22lr conversion for the 7.62 version... unfortunetly they are not shipping them outside the Czech Republic, and even if they were, you'd have to SBR your vz for it to work... uses the muzzle threads to insert a barrel "sleeve" in .22lr.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I found these much cheaper. I believe they are over in Lexington.

High-Capacity VZ58 Rifle 7.62x39 #RIFLE-VZ58

The one at Whittakers is $859.99 BTW, and is a Czechpoint model, NOT a Century Arms build like Centerfire has. You can order these direct from czechpoint for $799 which includes shipping, etc.

I agree, the century ones may be the economical way to go if you arre not sure whether you like the platform and want a cheaper, less well built version. Kinda like a WASR versus an Arsenal build, both go bang but you get what you pay for.

I am thinking about driving over to Versailles to Centerfire so i can eyeball one first.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have taken the approach that many others have.... buy once, cry once. I have learned over the years that if you buy cheaper, you will end up buying again, and again....

I purchased the DTechnik build from Czechpoint. I'm planning on replacing the muzzle extension with a permanent threaded extension so I can mount whatever I want on it without having to worry about the barrel length BS... I'll be doing the SBR route on the Czechpoint vz.58 pistol that going to be coming out with as soon as the tech branch of the ATF approves it.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    I purchased the DTechnik build from Czechpoint. I'm planning on replacing the muzzle extension with a permanent threaded extension so I can mount whatever I want on it without having to worry about the barrel length BS...

Who's doing the threaded extension for you?
    I'd like to do that to mine when it shows up.
    I ordered it March 21st.
    How long did it take to get yours? I've got ants in my pants...

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    There is also a company in the Czech Republic that is making a .22lr conversion for the 7.62 version... unfortunetly they are not shipping them outside the Czech Republic, and even if they were, you'd have to SBR your vz for it to work... uses the muzzle threads to insert a barrel "sleeve" in .22lr.

I searched around and couldn't find any info on this - any chance you have a link or any more information?

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Who's doing the threaded extension for you?
    I'd like to do that to mine when it shows up.
    I ordered it March 21st.
    How long did it take to get yours? I've got ants in my pants...

I'm not sure yet, hell I may just give up and do the SBR on this one as well. If I do have the threaded extension done, I'll probably go to one of our site supporters, and ask a couple of trusted contacts about it.

As for how long it took... I ordered mine on 18JAN12 and it shipped to my FFL on 06FEB12. Of course since then their order volume has gone up even more... the shipping update that they have on the website is generally very accurate. YMMV of course.

Oh, and find somewhere with mags, and order extras, right now no one seems to have them... I'm actually trying to track down an FFL who can do imports so I can have them import me in a bunch of Mil-Surp mags from the Czech Republic!

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    I think the threaded extension sounds like a great idea. I guess I don't really understand the laws involved here, but it sounds like if you remove the permanently attached muzzle extension you are creating an SBR. What if you are only doing that do exchange it with another muzzle extending device that will be permanently attached? I'll have to do more research on this. Might be easier to just have someone add threads to the muzzle extension.

When I ordered mine they were saying it was 7-10 business days until they ship an order. 2 days later, they updated their site to say 6-8 weeks. Youch!
    Oh well, I'll just have to be patient.

I did order 2 extra mags from them, and I bought 4 at Bradis.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I think the threaded extension sounds like a great idea. I guess I don't really understand the laws involved here, but it sounds like if you remove the permanently attached muzzle extension you are creating an SBR. What if you are only doing that do exchange it with another muzzle extending device that will be permanently attached? I'll have to do more research on this. Might be easier to just have someone add threads to the muzzle extension.

When I ordered mine they were saying it was 7-10 business days until they ship an order. 2 days later, they updated their site to say 6-8 weeks. Youch!
    Oh well, I'll just have to be patient.

I did order 2 extra mags from them, and I bought 4 at Bradis.

IANAL, but if you remove the permanently attached extension, and replace it with a permanently attached muzzle device that brings the barrel to a legal length, in a TIMELY fashion I do not believe the ATF cares... however that doesn't mean that you can take it off on Monday, go shooting at the range on Tuesday, and replace it on Wednesday... that would be a no no.:n00b:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    AK ($439) vs VZ.58/VZ2008 ($739) "When 'good enough' is good enough".

I'm sorry but a $439 AK is not in the same class as a vz.58. A vz2008 century build, yes, but not a vz.58... that's like saying a saturday night special is in the same class as a Kimer or SA 1911!

By your logic a pointy stick is "good enough"

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm sorry but a $439 AK is not in the same class as a vz.58. A vz2008 century build, yes, but not a vz.58...

I am having this internal debate now. I understand quality and own both high end and low end AK's. I have had several WASR's and own an Arsenal AK that would cost about $250-300 more than a WASR. I got a good deal on it though and am not sure I would have been willing to pay that much more.

I also have a Century vz2008 folder and have found it well worth the price. I have fondled a Czechpoint at the LGS and, while nicer, I am not sure if it is that much nicer to justify $350 more?

Does anyone here have direct experience with the Century vz2008 ($499) versus the czechpoint Vz58 ($839).

Top Bottom