• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Buying an additional AK for the home armory means I can use the store of ridiculously too many AK mags i already have. Buying a VZ meant i had to budget into the price another $150--200 for a minimal amount of mags.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Buying an additional AK for the home armory means I can use the store of ridiculously too many AK mags i already have. Buying a VZ meant i had to budget into the price another $150--200 for a minimal amount of mags.

I agree with that, but if you don't already have a butt-ton of AK mags... then, IMHO, it's a no-brainer... but to each there own... I went the vz route and have no regrets. :)

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I love these rifles. Mine is a Century and I was worried that I was going to be disappointed, but I am glad to say that's not even close. I still would buy a VZ58 if the right deal came around, I've handled them in a store and thought they looked a little nicer.

I was just wondering, not intending to hi-jack the thread, how many mags should a person have for any rifle? What's a comfortable amount for storage and use?

I saw that Bradis has 4 + a pouch for $60. which is fair if they're in decent condition. Link: • Czech VZ-58 7.62x39 30rd magazines, 4 in a pouch – $59.95

I have the Century VZ2008 and I'm content with the 5 mags that I have. I was going to buy the additional 4 from them but I'm thinking what I have should last for the life of the rifle. I've shot/tested with all 5 and they've been reliable. So i use one as a range mag until it pukes, then I'll move to the next one, and so on. By the time i get down to 2, I will buy more - if they're around in the future.

I might be 90+ years old by that time and we'll all be speaking chinese anyway ;).

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I love these rifles. Mine is a Century and I was worried that I was going to be disappointed, but I am glad to say that's not even close. I still would buy a VZ58 if the right deal came around, I've handled them in a store and thought they looked a little nicer.

I was just wondering, not intending to hi-jack the thread, how many mags should a person have for any rifle? What's a comfortable amount for storage and use?

I saw that Bradis has 4 + a pouch for $60. which is fair if they're in decent condition. Link: • Czech VZ-58 7.62x39 30rd magazines, 4 in a pouch – $59.95

I have the Century VZ2008 and I'm content with the 5 mags that I have. I was going to buy the additional 4 from them but I'm thinking what I have should last for the life of the rifle. I've shot/tested with all 5 and they've been reliable. So i use one as a range mag until it pukes, then I'll move to the next one, and so on. By the time i get down to 2, I will buy more - if they're around in the future.

I might be 90+ years old by that time and we'll all be speaking chinese anyway ;).

Not to steal thunder from our illustrious supporters, but you can find them cheaper than that on-line....

as to how many mags, that varies on who you talk to. Personally I'm thinking of between 14 and 20 magazines per rifle... that way you can have a full chest rig load out X 2 or 3 with a mag in the rifle. I know quite a few guys that have 200-300 magazines per rifle or rifle platform. I would say that on the vz, I'd get the mags now, don't wait, as you may not be able to get them in the future... they are incredibly popular in Canada and several other countries, but haven't really caught on here, which IMO is due to the over saturation of cheap (and in some cases cheaply built) AKM rifles.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I picked up a pack there and the condition of the mags was typical for the four pack surplus mags you find. Finish wear but good springs and followers with worn leather pouch.

czechpoint-usa.com had been down for inventory but is back up now and has decen prices as well, including more expensive 10 round dbl stack mags

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    I did the same thing that you are thinking of. I got the side rail installed, will be getting the CSA mount soon. I could not see having to send the rifle back to them to get it properly installed!

I would recommend getting it installed right off the bat, no reason not to IMO.

Just placed my order! :rockwoot:
    I'm having them install the side rail, and I ordered the CSA mount. Plus some extra mags. Thanks for your recommendations. :yesway:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Does any shops around the Indy-Ft. Wayne corridor actually have a Czechpoint VZ on hand?

I think you will be hard pressed to find a "new" one in a shop... Czechpoint imports them, AAFAIK, only sells direct to us lowly civilians! Are you wanting to fondle one before making a decision, or just don't want to have to wait for shipping? :D

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I think you will be hard pressed to find a "new" one in a shop... Czechpoint imports them, AAFAIK, only sells direct to us lowly civilians! Are you wanting to fondle one before making a decision, or just don't want to have to wait for shipping? :D

Whittakers in Owensboro KY had at least one last time I was there, with a price under $800 IIRC. I'm heading there later in the week and will report.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

I was hoping to check one out, hands on, before ordering one from Czechpoint.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you ever have any reason to go through Clare, Michigan, check out Jay's sporting goods.

They had a couple last fall - and still had them into thanksgiving time. I don't think many people up there are into $750 AK lookin' things - but they might be nowadays after they read good things about the VZ.

Might as well go to General Jim's surplus while you're there, too.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    All,
    Just as an update... I may have a line on surplus vz.58 mags at around $5/mag before shipping... still waiting to hear back from the company as to shipping costs to the US from the Czech Republic.... Fingers crossed!

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    See if you can get a line on the bipods that attach to the bayo mount. I can't find them anywhere. I know they exist.

There's a place in Canada that has them listed, but they are out of stock. I think they've been out of stock for years. A while ago, someone on another forum was selling some. For $285. YOUCH!:nuts:
    I think your best bet would be to ask Dan at Czechpoint if he can find you one.

There are some other options:
    FAB Defense has quite a few accessories for the vz.58.
    You can buy this stuff in the US from MAKO.

Top Bottom