• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Does anyone here have direct experience with the Century vz2008 ($499) versus the czechpoint Vz58 ($839).

The best place for these answers:
    VZ-58 semi auto rifle

Start with this post:
    Elitism is getting old....

A true, full capacity >10-round VZ58 cannot be imported into US. Everything is machined and rebuilt here, with much of both platforms - Century or Czechpoint - being used mil surplus. If Century, or whomever they farmed the rebuild work out to, does it right the first time, you are golden. If not, then customer service *can* be lacking.

If Czechpoint, who has been known to made build/rebuild mistakes themselves, screws it up, then support is somewhat better and they do the same thing rifle mag-well-expansions over and over.

We are *not* talking wasr compared to arsenal. Arsenal takes new stock and rebuilds proper config akm's out of them. A better comparison might be a Century WASR build to another importer/rebuilders WASR.

The Century builds were selling for $349 a year and a half ago. The VZ.58 purists, who already owned CZechpoint rifles, began buying VZ2008s in multiples and were generally elated with what they got. [Read forum linked above.] Now that the well of VZs for Century rebuilds is growing slim and the price has gone up to $500, then the monetary difference is less challenging for a Czechpoint purchase.

For a difference of $100-150? I would go Czechpoint for some piece of mind, support and supporting the little guy.

For $250-300 on a $800 rifle, maybe as a long term investment I *might* (50/50) go with Czechpoint.

For $350 for a Century instead of $800 for a Czechpoint [43% of the price of a Czechpoint,] I would go with VZ2008, based on price and how much the guys with Czechpoint rifles were pleased with the Century. Only if it was my primary weapon as I took a security contractor job, could I justify a Czechpoint at that spread.

This coming from a guy who has justified $800 Busse knives in the past over the $50 Kabar.

Other comparisons of "class of weapon" might be well served to include specifics: accuracy, reliability, usage? If you just want to throw a few hundred 7.62x39 100 yards down the range a couple of times a year, that WASR might be "good enough." While I like VZs, they don't have the wealth of surplus spare parts or mags in the US that an AK will. Quoted from frequent VZ guys, "Most VZs are 3-6 MOA guns."

They are a fine, lightweight, reliable, service rifle designed around 54 year old technology. And, yes, they are still in limited use in world militaries now but are being phased out for the modern CZ-805.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    The best place for these answers:
    VZ-58 semi auto rifle

Start with this post:
    Elitism is getting old....

A true, full capacity >10-round VZ58 cannot be imported into US. Everything is machined and rebuilt here, with much of both platforms - Century or Czechpoint - being used mil surplus. If Century, or whomever they farmed the rebuild work out to, does it right the first time, you are golden. If not, then customer service *can* be lacking.

If Czechpoint, who has been known to made build/rebuild mistakes themselves, screws it up, then support is somewhat better and they do the same thing rifle mag-well-expansions over and over.

We are *not* talking wasr compared to arsenal. Arsenal takes new stock and rebuilds proper config akm's out of them. A better comparison might be a Century WASR build to another importer/rebuilders WASR.

The Century builds were selling for $349 a year and a half ago. The VZ.58 purists, who already owned CZechpoint rifles, began buying VZ2008s in multiples and were generally elated with what they got. [Read forum linked above.] Now that the well of VZs for Century rebuilds is growing slim and the price has gone up to $500, then the monetary difference is less challenging for a Czechpoint purchase.

For a difference of $100-150? I would go Czechpoint for some piece of mind, support and supporting the little guy.

For $250-300 on a $800 rifle, maybe as a long term investment I *might* (50/50) go with Czechpoint.

For $350 for a Century instead of $800 for a Czechpoint [43% of the price of a Czechpoint,] I would go with VZ2008, based on price and how much the guys with Czechpoint rifles were pleased with the Century. Only if it was my primary weapon as I took a security contractor job, could I justify a Czechpoint at that spread.

This coming from a guy who has justified $800 Busse knives in the past over the $50 Kabar.

Other comparisons of "class of weapon" might be well served to include specifics: accuracy, reliability, usage? If you just want to throw a few hundred 7.62x39 100 yards down the range a couple of times a year, that WASR might be "good enough." While I like VZs, they don't have the wealth of surplus spare parts or mags in the US that an AK will. Quoted from frequent VZ guys, "Most VZs are 3-6 MOA guns."

They are a fine, lightweight, reliable, service rifle designed around 54 year old technology. And, yes, they are still in limited use in world militaries now but are being phased out for the modern CZ-805.

I agree with you on almost every point.... I will hold out and say if I have a problem, I'd much rather have a problem with a Czechpoint vz, than a Century vz. Now as an added thought, Czechpoint is in the process of getting vz.58 pistols imported... those will be 100% factory new... no restrictions on pistols (gotta love stupid laws!) Also, I missed out on the vz2008's, so for me it was a non-issue, had to get a Czechpoint build.

The aftermarket support for the vz is depressingly small, but it looks like NEA might be making a change and getting some manufacturing facility here in the US... that might help some.

And I agree, if I could get my hands on a Bren 805s, I'd relegate the vz to range toy status in a heartbeat... OK, maybe not, but I'd really like a Bren!

So are you on CZfirearms.us as well paddling_man?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I agree with you on almost every point.... I will hold out and say if I have a problem, I'd much rather have a problem with a Czechpoint vz, than a Century vz. Now as an added thought, Czechpoint is in the process of getting vz.58 pistols imported... those will be 100% factory new... no restrictions on pistols (gotta love stupid laws!) Also, I missed out on the vz2008's, so for me it was a non-issue, had to get a Czechpoint build.

The aftermarket support for the vz is depressingly small, but it looks like NEA might be making a change and getting some manufacturing facility here in the US... that might help some.

And I agree, if I could get my hands on a Bren 805s, I'd relegate the vz to range toy status in a heartbeat... OK, maybe not, but I'd really like a Bren!

So are you on CZfirearms.us as well paddling_man?

Yep! Paddlingman on CZ forums. The pistols would be nice as an SBR platform! The AR mag adapters appear to be meeting with success in the 5.56 VZ58 as well.

Absolutely no argument that I would rather deal with Dan (Czechpoint) on a QC issue than Century.:D

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Yep! Paddlingman on CZ forums. The pistols would be nice as an SBR platform! The AR mag adapters appear to be meeting with success in the 5.56 VZ58 as well.

Absolutely no argument that I would rather deal with Dan (Czechpoint) on a QC issue than Century.:D

I know the pistols are eagerly awaited by me :D I know it's too much to hope for anyone creating a set of rails for the even further out release of the 7.5" barrel pistol, but man if anyone does... :faint:

Top Bottom