• rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    2628476431.jpg

:D
    if i'm going to form my opinion form information that was given to me by someone who looks like a d**k, then i'm defiantly going with the one in the white lab coat that went to school for 12 years to study medicine

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    if i'm going to form my opinion form information that was given to me by someone who looks like a d**k, then i'm defiantly going with the one in the white lab coat that went to school for 12 years to study medicine

IANAD (or anything similar, but I did PLAY doctor a lot when I was younger...), but a quick look on the interwebs (the interwebs know all) seems to tell me that the major medical groups of most modern countries do NOT recommend circumcision in infants for medical reasons... Some are pretty clear about it, others hedge and say the evidence is conflicting, but I can't find any (*from a very quick search*) of the major orgnizations that clearly recommend it. Where are you seeing these recommendations?

For me, all of this "personal experience" is about as useful as evidence as, "Glock is best, they've always worked best for me..."

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    IANAD (or anything similar, but I did PLAY doctor a lot when I was younger...), but a quick look on the interwebs (the interwebs know all) seems to tell me that the major medical groups of most modern countries do NOT recommend circumcision in infants for medical reasons... Some are pretty clear about it, others hedge and say the evidence is conflicting, but I can't find any (*from a very quick search*) of the major orgnizations that clearly recommend it. Where are you seeing these recommendations?

For me, all of this "personal experience" is about as useful as evidence as, "Glock is best, they've always worked best for me..."
    it's not about a recommendation, hence why I didn't recomend it. there are proven medical benefits to it, but that doesn't mean that it will fall of if you don't. you can read about the benefits in just about any medical textbook, the one i happen to use in school is medical surgical nursing by smeltzer

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    it's not about a recommendation, hence why I didn't recomend it. there are proven medical benefits to it, but that doesn't mean that it will fall of if you don't. you can read about the benefits in just about any medical textbook, the one i happen to use in school is medical surgical nursing by smeltzer

If those benefits are not clear and convincing enough for the AMA and the American Academy of Pediatrics to recommend it, for medical reasons (and neither of those organizations recommend it for medical reasons...), what does that mean?

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    If those benefits are not clear and convincing enough for the AMA and the American Academy of Pediatrics to recommend it, for medical reasons (and neither of those organizations recommend it for medical reasons...), what does that mean?
    it's been said numerous time in this thread already, there are varying schools of thought on the subject. I'm going by what I have learned in a clinical setting, and experience

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    it's been said numerous time in this thread already, there are varying schools of thought on the subject. I'm going by what I have learned in a clinical setting, and experience

I get that, completely, just have the pollyanna notion that if it was really that clear, the AMA and the Pediatricians would come out and officially support it rather than, well, not. Put a warning label on baby boys like on cigarettes, maybe.

"Warning, having a foreskin could result in cancer, filthiness, stinkycheese odor, and evil sexual pleasure, and the AMA recommends removing foreskin immediately", or something.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I get that, completely, just have the pollyanna notion that if it was really that clear, the AMA and the Pediatricians would come out and officially support it rather than, well, not. Put a warning label on baby boys like on cigarettes, maybe.

"Warning, having a foreskin could result in cancer, filthiness, stinkycheese odor, and evil sexual pleasure, and the AMA recommends removing foreskin immediately", or something.
    there are statistics that show higher rates of certain diseases in uncircumcised males as apposed to circumcised. I don't have them on hand at the moment but will be happy to pull them from my text in a while (at school at the moment).

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    there are statistics that show higher rates of certain diseases in uncircumcised males as apposed to circumcised. I don't have them on hand at the moment but will be happy to pull them from my text in a while (at school at the moment).

I believe that. Really. The conflicting piece, for me, is that even WITH that data and with a bunch of members who I presume have read those books and taken those courses and are physicians and pediatricians and urologists, those organizations still either do not recommend it for medical reasons (clearly) or step back and say 'the evidence is conflicting'. I have to assume that they're considering the same data you're seeing, but still coming to the conclusion that the benefits do not outweigh the risks or other issues... No?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I believe that. Really. The conflicting piece, for me, is that even WITH that data and with a bunch of members who I presume have read those books and taken those courses and are physicians and pediatricians and urologists, those organizations still either do not recommend it for medical reasons (clearly) or step back and say 'the evidence is conflicting'. I have to assume that they're considering the same data you're seeing, but still coming to the conclusion that the benefits do not outweigh the risks or other issues... No?
    There is a growing movement among modern medicine to opt for less-invasive, less physically traumatic treatments. It kinda goes along with the whole "first, do no harm" idea. These folks are at odds with what I would call the "just because we can, we should" crowd, to which our friend obviously belongs.

Wingcollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Zionsville
    Case in point, which I know crosses into the WAY TMI zone, but my late step Grandfather had a very painful condition, because he hadn't been "snipped" it prevented "full extension" if you get my drift . He only had 1 child, and had many problems in this area. At the age of 63 he had the procedure, and while painful, it was a life changing experience in a positive way. My understanding is that this condition is not that uncommon, and completely avoidable.

Of course this question is like the breast feeding issue, lots of emotion!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom