• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abigbadzebra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Richmond
    This is just MY humble request, but let's not do that "he could have taken them both out" thing -- that sends the wrong message about law-abiding gun owners. I agree with your other points.

Yeah, I didn't know how to state that properly. I wanted to say law-abiding but for all we know he was going to tag team this chick with his buddy :) We all know he meant no harm to the police. The police knew he was no harm.. and that's why I'm so outraged. They treated the guy like it was his plan all along to do harm to them.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Where'd you get that from? The lawyer representing him said, "I am representing someone in a failure to notify case." on the CCW forum.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't believe he was arrested for solicitation...:dunno:

The Internet spawns a lot of superheros and wanna-bes. Attorneys in the midst of an ongoing case do not discuss them on Internet forums. It's easy to be anyone you want to be on the Internet. Sadly, a lot of people who are desperate for attention find it a way to be "someone."

I called the Canton Newspaper's City Desk and asked. The guy was originally charged with soliciting, loitering in a slow or stopped vehicle, and failure to notify. The solicitation charge was dropped early on.

As for the failure to notify charge, per the strict interpretation of Ohio's code, he's guilty. The code is adamant that you MUST notify the moment any LEO approaches your vehicle. It doesn't say anything about approaching your driver's door window or only after being addressed by the officer. They were in his car for 6 minutes and he said nothing. Read Ohio's code. Strict interpretation...he's guilty. Again, given all that happened, my guess is that the prosecutor is going to be eager to dismiss.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Read Ohio's code. Strict interpretation...he's guilty.

With all respect, the language of the statute does not determine his guilt. He's not guilty until a jury/judge/factfinder says he is, or if he admits guilt.

Sorry to quibble. :yesway:

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    With all respect, the language of the statute does not determine his guilt. He's not guilty until a jury/judge/factfinder says he is, or if he admits guilt.

Sorry to quibble. :yesway:

Agreed. Given the videocam evidence, he likely would be found guilty. Again, I also find it likely the prosecutor will choose not to pursue the case. Given the outcry in Canton today (per the news desk reporter with whom I spoke 20 minutes ago), the case will probably be dropped very quickly.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    follow link at start of this thread.
    "I am representing someone in a failure to notify case. It is an ongoing legal case, so I dont want to post too much here right now. I watched the video today, and it verified an almost unbelievable story my client told me. To make this real brief - my client was stopped. Tried to notify, but was told by one officer to shut up. Another officer came to the driver's side door, and again my client tried to notify. You can hear him in the video say....."

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Just because LEO's don't scream for an immediate hanging doesn't mean that they IN ANY WAY endorse the actions of this idiot in OH.
    He's disgraced Law Enforcement and should face the civil and/or criminal sanctions allowed in cases such as these.
    I run a press brake for a living, if I happened upon a press brake operator somewhere who was treating another human being like this useless waste of oxygen was, I would probably beat the living **** out of them, and make sure anybody who would listen would know what a POS this ass hole really is. I don't understand the cover up mentality. Why would ANY group of people NOT scream for a hanging??? Especially for someone who is supposed to be an example for the community. What is to be gained by other cops not rallying AGAINST this guy??? You do understand how this appears to non LEOs, don't you? I'm not trying to be ****ty here, I just can't figure out where any LEO is coming from who would not loudly and immediately decry this jack off.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Jake, they only charged the guy with the misdemeanor "failure to inform" charge. No soliciting, no aggravated nothing. Just failure to inform. They then attempted to extort the guy into not suing by saying they'd drop the charges if he agreed not to sue.

It wasn't just that the cop threatened to beat his head in. He threatened to shoot him for no reason other than he was legally carrying. He threatened to arrest him for a felony that's actually a misdemeanor. He threatened to pull the guy over, jail him and tow his car every time he saw him for no reason other than he's a legal gun carrier. All this while berating, yelling, cussing, and throwing a temper tantrum at the driver.

The only wrong the driver committed was that he was stopped on the side of the road talking to someone. There's no proof she was a prostitute, and in the video she admits that she's only ever been arrested for prostitution once in her words "a long time ago." The cop, while yelling at her to get out of there threatened her with arrest if he saw her again.

The cop's partner illegally searched the man's car. No PC, no RAS, no consent.

You tell me, who was the criminal here?

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    follow link at start of this thread.
    "I am representing someone in a failure to notify case. It is an ongoing legal case, so I dont want to post too much here right now. I watched the video today, and it verified an almost unbelievable story my client told me. To make this real brief - my client was stopped. Tried to notify, but was told by one officer to shut up. Another officer came to the driver's side door, and again my client tried to notify. You can hear him in the video say....."

Never trust what someone tells you on an Internet forum. Or, as Reagan was fond of saying, "trust but verify." Watch the unbiased video. It doesn't take sides but rather just replays history. Per Ohio's code, you must notify IMMEDIATELY upon an LEO approaching your vehicle. Watch the video and start a timer. See what it reads when he first tries to do so.

As for the person purporting to be his lawyer....it doesn't pass the smell test. A real attorney would know the risk regarding conduct detrimental to his client's case and the prejudicing of evidence. Again...it's easy to be anyone you want to be on the Internet.

This guy will probably walk due to all the publicity the case is now receiving. It also may, long-term, be a good thing for all who carry in Ohio. Their "notify" law is not of sound reasoning and, even if they're going to have such law codified, it's poorly written. Perhaps this will motivate the legislature to revisit the issue.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The cop threatened to execute him and said his partner would be a witness. They should have been arrested and jailed immediately upon this video being viewed. If any of US would have threatened to execute anyone we would be in jail waiting to see if we could make bail.

Because of a simple misdemeanor this innocent person could have been murdered by two douchebags

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As for the person purporting to be his lawyer....it doesn't pass the smell test. A real attorney would know the risk regarding conduct detrimental to his client's case and the prejudicing of evidence.

This guy will probably walk due to all the publicity the case is now receiving. It also may, long-term, be a good thing for all who carry in Ohio. Their "notify" law is not of sound reasoning and, even if they're going to have such law codified, it's poorly written. Perhaps this will motivate the legislature to revisit the issue.
    Putting those 2 paragraphs together, do you think it may've been a calculated step by the attorney? ;)

Keep in mind, the attorney didn't divulge any privileged information, or even all the available public information...

"Going public" is risky, but not without precedent.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The cop threatened to execute him and said his partner would be a witness. They should have been arrested and jailed immediately upon this video being viewed. If any of US would have threatened to execute anyone we would be in jail waiting to see if we could make bail.

^^^^

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Putting those 2 paragraphs together, do you think it may've been a calculated step by the attorney? ;)

Keep in mind, the attorney didn't divulge any privileged information, or even all the available public information...

"Going public" is risky, but not without precedent.
    Are you suggesting that an attorney might intentionally use the media and the internet and social networking to win a case?! Inconceivable!

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    You tell me, who was the criminal here?

Please don't misinterpret my summation of what happened as an excuse or defense for the LEO's conduct. Quite the contrary. The worst crime committed that evening in Canton was certainly by the officer involved.

Nonetheless, I am able to remove the emotion and look at the available facts as a matter of law. The "victim" likely would have been found guilty of soliciting had the officer pursued the necessary arrests for such a charge. He didn't. The guy was originally charged with soliciting, loitering in a slowed or stopped vehicle, and failure to notify. The solicitation charge was dropped early on. He hasn't much defense for the loitering charge but it's also one that is seldom pursued.

As for the failure to notify charge, per Ohio's code, he would likely be found guilty if the case is pursued by the prosecutor. Read the code. Watch the video. Remove the emotion and view all as a mature, unbiased observer. When you make the effort to do so, these things become really easy to understand as matters of law. Forget what you think the law SHOULD be. Read the code. Watch the video. Again, this case is almost surely going nowhere now. The prosecutor can't dismiss fast-enough.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I run a press brake for a living, if I happened upon a press brake operator somewhere who was treating another human being like this useless waste of oxygen was, I would probably beat the living **** out of them, and make sure anybody who would listen would know what a POS this ass hole really is. I don't understand the cover up mentality. Why would ANY group of people NOT scream for a hanging??? Especially for someone who is supposed to be an example for the community. What is to be gained by other cops not rallying AGAINST this guy??? You do understand how this appears to non LEOs, don't you? I'm not trying to be ****ty here, I just can't figure out where any LEO is coming from who would not loudly and immediately decry this jack off.
    You'll see LEO's decry this action in the future.
    They just need some time to digest the situation and realize that "One of their own." went rogue and has blackened the image of Law Enforcement across the Nation.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    They just need some time to digest the situation and realize that "One of their own." went rogue and has blackened the image of Law Enforcement across the Nation.
    Mike, hopefully you are correct. That was a very disturbing encounter to watch. I am not gonna hold my breath though.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

With all due respect, Mike, I disagree wholeheartedly. They're ALREADY circling the wagons. You can see it in the comments on the OHCC website, the CPD Facebook page (before it was taken down) and in the quoted comments in the news articles. This is not the first time we've had an issue like this and these stories continue to surface over and over again. When Rodney King was dragged from his car and beaten almost to death almost 20 years ago, it didn't stop the "rogue cop" behavior even though the officers involved (eventually) went to prison. It didn't even slow it down. I believe that legitimate gun owners are rapidly approaching the point where they will refuse to be treated like common criminals anymore and things will get ugly.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Never trust what someone tells you on an Internet forum. Or, as Reagan was fond of saying, "trust but verify." Watch the unbiased video. It doesn't take sides but rather just replays history. Per Ohio's code, you must notify IMMEDIATELY upon an LEO approaching your vehicle. Watch the video and start a timer. See what it reads when he first tries to do so.
    So, what's the definition of "IMMEDIATELY"? When the cop gets out of his car, do you stick your head out the window and yell that you're carrying? When he reaches your window?

I haven't seen the video (youtube blocked at work), but I'm pretty sure that if the attempt to inform is interrupted by the officer telling you to shut your f'ing mouth, the last thing you want to do in that situation is continue telling him about the 1911 tucked in between your seats.

Dude: Evening officer, I'd just like to tell you...
    Cop: Quiet, I'm doing the talking.
    Dude: But, I have to inform you that....
    Cop: I said put a sock in it!
    Dude: :waving LTCH: But I have a g....
    Cop: SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE BEFORE I CRACK YOUR FAT HEAD!
    Dude: ...gun!
    Cop: :bat::bash::draw:

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that the advice would be "if a cop tells you to shut up, do so."

Top Bottom