• ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Another update to the docket:
    11-07-2011 STATE'S MOTION TO AMEND CRIMINAL COMPLAINT. FILED BY PROSECUTOR JENNIFER FITZSIMMONS

Doesn't show what she amended the complaint to... wonder if it was "loitering" or something....

The woman that was with him was arrested last week during some sort of drug sweep. My gut tells me they have turned her and are adding a "patronizing a hooker" or some such charge.

Trying to amend up 2 days before trial is a shaky proposition in Indiana depending on notice and prior delays. I don't know about Ohio.

Best,

Joe

fisherg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    Osceola
    I haven't read this entire thread (need to do office work :)), so perhaps this has already been discussed. I agree that the officer was out of line and should face stiff consequences. But, my first thought at the beginning of the video was that this guy was in a situation that he really didn't need to be. Not casting moral judgement, but let's face it- he was in a bad looking area, at night, with a women standing outside his car. From the perspective of the officers, they have seen this situation countless times... Men, we need to think more often with our "big head" rather than the other one :rolleyes: .

I am all for the right to carry, and that certainly was violated. However I would say that the citizen put himself in this difficult spot. I wonder if the officers would have reacted the same way if it were a nice neighborhood and the man was helping someone change a flat tire?

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    So, are you suggesting that I should stay out of bad neighborhoods at night? What if I happen to be driving through there, & some woman flags me down because she needs help?

Regardless of "How it looks", I AM innocent until proven guilty.

Just sayin'.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I haven't read this entire thread (need to do office work :)), so perhaps this has already been discussed. I agree that the officer was out of line and should face stiff consequences. But, my first thought at the beginning of the video was that this guy was in a situation that he really didn't need to be. Not casting moral judgement, but let's face it- he was in a bad looking area, at night, with a women standing outside his car. From the perspective of the officers, they have seen this situation countless times... Men, we need to think more often with our "big head" rather than the other one :rolleyes: .

I am all for the right to carry, and that certainly was violated. However I would say that the citizen put himself in this difficult spot. I wonder if the officers would have reacted the same way if it were a nice neighborhood and the man was helping someone change a flat tire?
    Doesn't matter where he was as long as they did not see him violating any laws. Doesn't matter how bad the neighborhood was or what kind of people may or may not be out at that time of night. They were just fishing because they did not actually see any laws violated.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In

I don't know if you have ever used a GPS much, but they don't know the good neighborhoods from the bad ones. I found myself in a bad situation once while in Memphis Tn while trying to get back to my hotel, I can see how it could have ended up much like that has the circumstances been just a little different. There is absolutely no excuse for that officers behavior. He should "catch a felony" for that. Or worse.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    While we have covered "why Bartlett was there" ad infinitum earlier in this thread, it doesn't surprise me that they would try to discredit him by insinuating that he was there for immoral purposes. It's classic courtroom antics. Discredit Bartlett and it will help Harless's case. Whodathunkit?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    It seems the court may have made a written finding that Bartlett did not fail to inform the officer as alleged in the complaint, and continued the matter for trial.

Apparently there's a trial in the case today. Bet it don't happen...

Since Harless did not get a statement from the woman (he did not even properly ID her) or passenger, it's hard to see how there could be charges involving those two (for instance, since the State doesn't know who they were, how could they subpoena them for trial)...

The woman that was with him was arrested last week during some sort of drug sweep. My gut tells me they have turned her and are adding a "patronizing a hooker" or some such charge.

Trying to amend up 2 days before trial is a shaky proposition in Indiana depending on notice and prior delays. I don't know about Ohio.

Best,

Joe
    Did the police even ID her that night? Are we trusting the veracity of Officer Harless to identify suspects without confirming their ID. I thought he summarily dismissed her from the scene once he focused his attention on Bartlett.

Given the way he dealt with Bartlett you have to wonder about his manner in other cases with people he doesn't consider to be "respectable". Wonder if there have been any unsolved execution-style killings in Canton in the recent past.

Last edited:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I agree that the officer was out of line and should face stiff consequences. But, my first thought at the beginning of the video was that this guy was in a situation that he really didn't need to be.
    While I agree that the guy made some choices I would not have made, it doesn't matter if he had just finished trading crack to a prostitute for sex. The officer's reaction was so far beyond the realm of sanity and stability that it is - completely independent of the criminal actions (if any) of the CCW holder - well deserving of punishment (as you point out).

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Is it possible William tried to hand officer Harless his license and officer Harless refused it? Diels couldn't answer this.

Defense attempts to introduce evidence but the prosecutor objects. It is believed that this is the police report. There appears to be a debate over if its admissible. The judge allows the evidence, defense exhibit A. It is identified by Diels as a concealed carry weapon complaint signed and sworn to under oath by both Diels and Harless.

The complaint states that the weapon was not discovered until AFTER the pat down search of the defendant and that the defendant didn't identify that he was licensed until AFTER this pat down search and the discovery of the weapon occurred. Diels admits on the stand that the criminal complaint is not truthful. (The criminal complaint doesn't properly identify what took place on the video and makes it sound like Bartlett never identified)

LIVE: Bartlett Trial Blog

Top Bottom